Solved

Adding new storage device

I already have 1 120gb SSD and a 1tb HDD and im running out of room. I was considering purchasing a 2tb HDD will it work if I put it in my rig? or does it have to be a 1tb HDD with the same make and model? Is there any other steps I need to do after?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about adding storage device
  1. Hi.

    You can add any HDD or SSD to your rig, it's doesn't have to be of the same model at least that you are running RAID system. Just purchase the 2TB HDD and be sure to use partitions, just in case...
  2. saint19 said:
    Hi.

    You can add any HDD or SSD to your rig, it's doesn't have to be of the same model at least that you are running RAID system. Just purchase the 2TB HDD and be sure to use partitions, just in case...


    so unless I want to set it up in raid it doesnt matter about the model correct?
  3. Best answer
    stevenk92 said:
    saint19 said:
    Hi.

    You can add any HDD or SSD to your rig, it's doesn't have to be of the same model at least that you are running RAID system. Just purchase the 2TB HDD and be sure to use partitions, just in case...


    so unless I want to set it up in raid it doesnt matter about the model correct?


    Correct, the model only matters in RAID configuration that's not your case.
  4. saint19 said:
    stevenk92 said:
    saint19 said:
    Hi.

    You can add any HDD or SSD to your rig, it's doesn't have to be of the same model at least that you are running RAID system. Just purchase the 2TB HDD and be sure to use partitions, just in case...


    so unless I want to set it up in raid it doesnt matter about the model correct?


    Correct, the model only matters in RAID configuration that's not your case.


    Great. Thank you very much. I know the basics of building pc's but I don't know much when it comes to adding new components such as hard drives and such. Just to be sure is there any other steps that I have to do besides installing it into my build?
  5. stevenk92 said:
    saint19 said:
    stevenk92 said:
    saint19 said:
    Hi.

    You can add any HDD or SSD to your rig, it's doesn't have to be of the same model at least that you are running RAID system. Just purchase the 2TB HDD and be sure to use partitions, just in case...


    so unless I want to set it up in raid it doesnt matter about the model correct?


    Correct, the model only matters in RAID configuration that's not your case.


    Great. Thank you very much. I know the basics of building pc's but I don't know much when it comes to adding new components such as hard drives and such. Just to be sure is there any other steps that I have to do besides installing it into my build?


    Not really, just install the new HDD the you turn on the rig, if the new HDD isn´t showed, just do right click in my pc, select administrator and in the showed window look for the "storage device options".
Ask a new question

Read More

Storage