Sign in with
Your question

HD 7770 - Cooler Makes Really Loud Noise

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2013 2:06:31 PM

Hi, i have a HD 7770, don't think it really matters in this situation. Whenever my fan revs up it sounds like a wire is hitting the fan and it is so loud i can hear it over music with headphones, if i push in on the gpu's plastic covering everything it stops, is there any way to fix this?
June 18, 2013 2:22:00 PM

Take the shroud off the GPU carefully, and see what is going on underneath.
June 18, 2013 3:57:11 PM

After further examination i find that taking of the shroud is near impossible, the screw is in a gap an inch wide, how can i get a screwdriver in there?
Related resources
June 18, 2013 4:20:21 PM

The shroud should be attached to the card only by screws on the rear of the PCB. I've never seen a card which has screws between the shroud and the PCB.
June 18, 2013 4:25:34 PM

JRAtk94 said:
The shroud should be attached to the card only by screws on the rear of the PCB. I've never seen a card which has screws between the shroud and the PCB.

Alrighty, i will try and see what is wrong, do you have any key things to look at? I'm assuming its the fan hitting something.
June 18, 2013 4:30:30 PM

Yes, after you've taken the shroud off, ensure that there are no wires in the vicinity of the fan. I doubt there will be, because there aren't often wires on that area of the PCB, but check anyway.

Additionally, check the inner trim of the shroud once removed - there could be a loose piece of plastic that is blocking the fan.
June 18, 2013 4:58:03 PM

JRAtk94 said:
Yes, after you've taken the shroud off, ensure that there are no wires in the vicinity of the fan. I doubt there will be, because there aren't often wires on that area of the PCB, but check anyway.

Additionally, check the inner trim of the shroud once removed - there could be a loose piece of plastic that is blocking the fan.

I still cant find where to take the shroud off, i have a Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X Cooling GPU if that can help you help me. Thanks

June 18, 2013 5:44:09 PM

I managed to get the shroud off, had to remove the heatsink aswell, seems to have solved the problem by just taking it apart and putting it back together.
June 18, 2013 5:45:00 PM

Ahh, very good!

Hopefully, the problem won't return.
!