Sign in with
Your question

HD 7770 - Cooler Makes Really Loud Noise

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 18, 2013 2:06:31 PM

Hi, i have a HD 7770, don't think it really matters in this situation. Whenever my fan revs up it sounds like a wire is hitting the fan and it is so loud i can hear it over music with headphones, if i push in on the gpu's plastic covering everything it stops, is there any way to fix this?
June 18, 2013 2:22:00 PM

Take the shroud off the GPU carefully, and see what is going on underneath.
m
l
June 18, 2013 3:57:11 PM

After further examination i find that taking of the shroud is near impossible, the screw is in a gap an inch wide, how can i get a screwdriver in there?
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2013 4:20:21 PM

The shroud should be attached to the card only by screws on the rear of the PCB. I've never seen a card which has screws between the shroud and the PCB.
m
l
June 18, 2013 4:25:34 PM

JRAtk94 said:
The shroud should be attached to the card only by screws on the rear of the PCB. I've never seen a card which has screws between the shroud and the PCB.

Alrighty, i will try and see what is wrong, do you have any key things to look at? I'm assuming its the fan hitting something.
m
l
June 18, 2013 4:30:30 PM

Yes, after you've taken the shroud off, ensure that there are no wires in the vicinity of the fan. I doubt there will be, because there aren't often wires on that area of the PCB, but check anyway.

Additionally, check the inner trim of the shroud once removed - there could be a loose piece of plastic that is blocking the fan.
m
l
June 18, 2013 4:58:03 PM

JRAtk94 said:
Yes, after you've taken the shroud off, ensure that there are no wires in the vicinity of the fan. I doubt there will be, because there aren't often wires on that area of the PCB, but check anyway.

Additionally, check the inner trim of the shroud once removed - there could be a loose piece of plastic that is blocking the fan.

I still cant find where to take the shroud off, i have a Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X Cooling GPU if that can help you help me. Thanks

m
l
June 18, 2013 5:44:09 PM

I managed to get the shroud off, had to remove the heatsink aswell, seems to have solved the problem by just taking it apart and putting it back together.
m
l
June 18, 2013 5:45:00 PM

Ahh, very good!

Hopefully, the problem won't return.
m
l
!