£1000 gaming computer initial build, advice wanted!

Twixamot

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/117KI

That is my build initially, now i must say i am a complete novice to building computers and managing parts so i have no idea whether or not these are compatible, let alone are good together. I have the mouse, keyboard and all peripherals, all i need is the monitor and the actual computer itself. It will be about 90% gaming and 10% work, the games i would want to run are the like of Call of Duty and League of Legends at a high quality and speed would be preferable. Ive left some room for money for improvements but as i said none of this is static, you're free to make any adjustments whatsoever. Thanks!

X79

Honorable
You're wanting to OC?

You picked some good parts though mate.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£154.79 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus H87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£81.99 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£41.77 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£74.20 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.99 @ Dabs)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (£319.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case (£128.23 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£52.59 @ Dabs)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1033.54
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-19 13:09 BST+0100)

Better CPU and GPU.

Either of our builds will obliterate league of legends though.

Twixamot

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

Yeah i read that overclocking gets you the best value for money so i figured if i do it safely then it should be good to have that extra speed on board

Twixamot

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion! This may sound like a really newb question, but as the CPU you suggested is only 3.2GHZ would that not be slower? Im sure im wrong but a little explanation would be greatly appreciated

X79

Honorable
Yes slower. But I doubt you'll notice; especially not with a game like league which isn't demanding.

3Ghz and above is the comfy zone. Also, this CPU is newer than the one you picked. It's a 4th generation

one; denoted by the 4 at the start (yes the numbers have meaning!). Thus the CPU you picked is a 3rd gen.

However that CPU you picked is also very nice for OC'ing; while it's both a little more tricky on 4th generation

Intels potentially, as well as not as fruitfull. Hence it being dubbed "Hasfail" (instead of using it's actual name; Haswell),

by some people. The generation of Intel CPU you picked is called Ivy Bridge. You're welcome to go with your own

build too; it's still very very good and it doesn't sound like you use any professional programs either, so you might

as well go with what's cheapest. You'll get some games with that Radeon GPU as well.

Twixamot

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

Ah great thank you! Also i noticed my case is a very very cheap version, i wanted to go cheap on that and maximise on the parts, is that a newbie error? Your case seems to be more expensive but i personally dont see why there should be more money spent on something which just holds the parts in order

X79

Honorable
No worries.

It is an error in a sense. A cheap case doesn't automatically mean a bad case though.

A good case has many very useful features, such as:

- Good cable-management features (holes or sockets at strategic places for cables. Bad management can reduce airflow)

- Room to move around in. Some things like GPUs (very long ones like the Radeon 7990 for example) are easier to fit in.

- Other things like coolers might take up a lot of space. A good case will help in that.

- Hotswap options or many open slots for extra things like HDDs to be added later.

- Good looks!

- Being able to upgrade.

- Connectivity options (Front panel USB 3.0 for example).

I picked the HAF X since I thought your budget was large enough to accommodate it.

You're welcome to pick something else. Take note that the HAF X is a Full Tower, whereas as Mid tower

will do the job for most people. You're welcome to cut back on it too. The HAF X would last you several

builds. Here's some information it:

http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/full-tower/haf-x.html

For a mid tower, I like this one:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-rc431pkwn2

It's cheap, yet isn't without style completely.