Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will my current system bottleneck my graphics card?

Last response: in Systems
Share
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 5:08:11 AM

I have the following parts in my 5 yr old PC:

Intel C2D E7500 2.93 GHz, LGA 775
Intel DG45ID Motherboard (PCI-E x16 version 2.0)
4 GB (2x2) DDR2 800 Kingston RAM
Seasonic S12II 520 watt PSU
Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm 1 TB HDD

Now I'm planning to get a 2 GB AMD 7870 or 7850 card soon.
So, can anyone tell me if my current specs will bottleneck the card or not? :??: 

Thanx in advance. :) 
a c 870 U Graphics card
a c 121 å Intel
June 19, 2013 5:14:26 AM

Yes it will with that CPU.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 5:50:54 AM

Hm, putting a 1-year-old part in a 5-year-old PC. Yep, you won't see full performance out of either of those cards.

But you can get the card now and play most games just fine, then save to replace the rest of your system.
Share
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 5:53:38 AM

dude with that cpu you be be very very badly bottle-necked;don't do that mistake.Save some money and get the hd7850 along with a new processor or buy something low for now so as to keep the bottleneck minimal like the hd7750 nad save ur money and build a rig later...trust me i have an athlon x2 245 and a hd7750 and it works fine and ur processor is even bad than mine(somewhat by 5-6%)and so get the hd7750.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 6:21:18 AM

sourodip said:
dude with that cpu you be be very very badly bottle-necked;don't do that mistake.Save some money and get the hd7850 along with a new processor or buy something low for now so as to keep the bottleneck minimal like the hd7750 nad save ur money and build a rig later...trust me i have an athlon x2 245 and a hd7750 and it works fine and ur processor is even bad than mine(somewhat by 5-6%)and so get the hd7750.


No, it's actually slightly better than yours. I had an Athlon II X2 for a while and played games just fine with my HD 6870. I only had trouble with DX11 versions of games - some stuttering. It will definitely bottleneck the card, but most games are certainly playable.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 6:26:03 AM

yea,jessterman21 u are correct,i also think so but mine is better when i overclock it by 10% and it becomes 9% better than him..but the performance difference is not noticeable though in these cheap and old dual core cpu's....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 6:35:18 AM

sourodip said:
but the performance difference is not noticeable though in these cheap and old dual core cpu's....


True. For modern games, you want to be able to run 4 threads - 4 strong cores is even better.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 6:39:43 AM

yeah strong cpu's like i5-3570K and the new haswells.tell me something jessterman21,are the haswell's really worth that upgrading although i recommend it to everyone for it's newer architecture,better inbuilt graphics e.t.c...at least a fx-4300 or fx-6300 is reqd. to play the modern games smoothly with a decent gpu like hd7870,but i'm stuck with my athlon x2 245 and a dead am2+ socket mobo.hey,played remember me?i liked that game very much
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 6:52:25 AM

sourodip said:
yeah strong cpu's like i5-3570K and the new haswells.tell me something jessterman21,are the haswell's really worth that upgrading although i recommend it to everyone for it's newer architecture,better inbuilt graphics e.t.c...at least a fx-4300 or fx-6300 is reqd. to play the modern games smoothly with a decent gpu like hd7870,but i'm stuck with my athlon x2 245 and a dead am2+ socket mobo.hey,played remember me?i liked that game very much


Yeah, they're about 5% better than Ivy, just like Ivy was 5% better than Sandy. As long as you're not currently on LGA 1155, Haswell is worth the upgrade. The cheapest CPU I would buy for gaming these days is the FX-6300 or my own i3-2100. The unlocked i5s or i7s are the best choice, of course.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 6:57:22 AM

yeah true, i would also like to go with a fx-6300 as it is more price-friendly and gives the best performance at that price...
by the way are u a POP fan?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 7:53:43 AM

sourodip said:
by the way are u a POP fan?


Big fan - love the two most-recent ones. Currently playing though Forgotten Sands and loving it - it's severely underrated, and brings back the best of the 2003 version I loved so much. Best $2.50 I ever spent!!!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 8:31:29 AM

yeah i am too too a very big fan of pop series liked the forgotten sands recently and WW and T2T was just awesome,ubisoft can release a part 2 for WW,it would be awesome..i started gaming with the pop WW
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 8:52:17 AM

sourodip said:
yeah i am too too a very big fan of pop series liked the forgotten sands recently and WW and T2T was just awesome,ubisoft can release a part 2 for WW,it would be awesome..i started gaming with the pop WW


Yeah I miss the stealth kills from Two Thrones.

HEY MUKU - I think we answered your question - pick a solution!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 9:16:57 AM

yeah pick a solution MUKU...
hey,jess u miss stealth inT2t?keep practicing....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 11:04:07 AM

I have started saving for a new rig, meanwhile I would go for a decent card which I can transfer later to my new rig...
Thanks to all for the replies. :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2013 10:42:31 PM

yeah go for a hd7750 and best of luck :) 
m
0
l
!