Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Low performance : SLI nvidia 295 gtx

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 19, 2013 6:29:14 AM

Hello fellows,

I come here to request some of your audience in order to get some information I didn't succeed to find alone on the internet.

I have today a nice config with :
CPU : intel extreme 965 o/c at 3.9GHz (by multiplier increase)
GPU : nvidia 295 gtx *2 (SLI) (= Quad SLI because they are bi-GPU)
Raid 0 : SSD Samsung PM800 VBM15D1Q *2

I today have really poor performance on gaming :
on Bioshock infinite I have to make everything low and I still encounter some lag session
on BF3 everything is low and the framerate print something high but every second there are some freeze
on CS:GO there are some map that make the mouse cursor sometimes unresponsive I mean there is a little lag that makes the gaming experience sucks

Both card are updated
The two cards are linked by a SLI bridge
I let default configuration on nvidia control panel because I had one time tweaked them by manually disabling the vertical sync, FA, etc.

Why am I asking for help ?
Because I was planning to buy the nvidia 770 that is supposed to support every game in high perf and I fall on that website that learn me that my card still are on the good way :

http://

Guys let me know what I have to do to help you to help me :) , I can do benchmark and gives more details.

Regards !
a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2013 6:41:43 AM

Problem is four GPUs will scale very poorly, especially four old GPUs. It's comparable to 4-way GTX260s SLI, which isn't as good as it sounds :-) Each GPU also only has 896MB RAM to play with.
June 19, 2013 6:45:05 AM

they are very much outdated now. two of the games listed are very high demanding games. i would recommend the upgrade. and a 770 will game at top notch for atleast a couple years.
Related resources
June 19, 2013 6:50:05 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Problem is four GPUs will scale very poorly, especially four old GPUs. It's comparable to 4-way GTX260s SLI, which isn't as good as it sounds :-) Each GPU also only has 896MB RAM to play with.


I'm aware that the SLI technology is far away from a simple addition of the performance of each card. But taking your example of the RAM available, yes it obviously has (only?) 896MB for each GPU, means that for rendering 4 Frame each of the 4 GPU should render one frame alone leading to a good balance over single GPU card because there are sharing the job and decrease the charge of 3D job nope ?

Any case I don't think I have CPU bottleneck, so I shouldn't have that much weak performance on that games...

Thanks for your reply

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2013 6:54:09 AM
Share

That's correct. I wasn't using memory as an example though - I'm specifically saying that less than 1GB frame buffer is gonna really restrict performance in modern games. Interms of raw GPU muscle, there's plenty there. I'd take that GTX770 upgrade (depending on where you live).
June 19, 2013 6:58:57 AM

Jason Howard said:
they are very much outdated now. two of the games listed are very high demanding games. i would recommend the upgrade. and a 770 will game at top notch for atleast a couple years.


I know they are a bit old, something like 2010.. btw I don't remember exactly. Taking the first digit as the generation, and the 2 last digit as the model, it learns that yes they are not sold anymore because nvidia focus right now on the last gen card, but it also gives us that it was a high end bi-GPU model...

Even on low effect they look laggy, I have the feeling that they are some configuration stuff I missed or something like that.

btw thanks for replying Jason
a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2013 7:01:50 AM

Well it was the absolute top model of the GTX200 series (2009). Interms of raw rendering muscle, it was only a tiny bit behind the GTX480 that followed. Of course the GTX480 delivered those results with a single GPU. You're simply being held back by scalability and frame buffer restrictions.
June 19, 2013 7:02:45 AM

sam_p_lay said:
That's correct. I wasn't using memory as an example though - I'm specifically saying that less than 1GB frame buffer is gonna really restrict performance in modern games. Interms of raw GPU muscle, there's plenty there. I'd take that GTX770 upgrade (depending on where you live).


Ok, I haven't digg so much into the process of SLI but they are several mode to share the render I'll have to experiment that option, if there is someone here that has experience into it I take any suggestion : ).

I am currently in France (why does it depend on where I live :p  ?), thanks for the suggestion it confirms my fears, but I'd to continue to digg into that topics to see if it's possible to recycle a bit my current configuration.
June 19, 2013 7:04:20 AM

i currently play bf3 on a gtx 460 v2 and even itrs showing its age anymore. and mines the 500 series revamp of the 460(500 series card with 500 series tech crippled to be a 400 series.) my answer would be time for an upgrade. and no problem just trying to help a fellow techy.
a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2013 7:09:54 AM

h0007 said:
Ok, I haven't digg so much into the process of SLI but they are several mode to share the render I'll have to experiment that option, if there is someone here that has experience into it I take any suggestion : ).

I am currently in France (why does it depend on where I live :p  ?), thanks for the suggestion it confirms my fears, but I'd to continue to digg into that topics to see if it's possible to recycle a bit my current configuration.


I wouldn't worry about that unless you're using something other than AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering, what you described above). If you're using SFR, AFR would be a better option. And location simply because different countries obviously have different retailers, so different prices and different deals. I'm in the UK, and here the GTX770 isn't a clear winner in price vs performance (it's good, but maybe not the best).
June 19, 2013 7:23:14 AM

sam_p_lay said:
h0007 said:
Ok, I haven't digg so much into the process of SLI but they are several mode to share the render I'll have to experiment that option, if there is someone here that has experience into it I take any suggestion : ).

I am currently in France (why does it depend on where I live :p  ?), thanks for the suggestion it confirms my fears, but I'd to continue to digg into that topics to see if it's possible to recycle a bit my current configuration.


I wouldn't worry about that unless you're using something other than AFR (Alternate Frame Rendering, what you described above). If you're using SFR, AFR would be a better option. And location simply because different countries obviously have different retailers, so different prices and different deals. I'm in the UK, and here the GTX770 isn't a clear winner in price vs performance (it's good, but maybe not the best).


I see so I can add to my knowledge that AFR is a better option that the single frame rendering, that's a first step into the always changing Graphic card beast.

I'm lost with the features sold as extreme innovation for gaming experience like CUDA that you can apply to one or every GPU cores, or Physx motor engine that can be set to Auto, or dedicated on one core or also put on the CPU. Have you got some knowledge into those weird features ?

Again thank you, I'm not used to forum, and those fast reply are really appreciate.
a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2013 7:29:47 AM

Pleasure. I'm glad to help :-) Don't worry about CUDA unless you're into professional video/photo editing or other GPU-intensive work. For gaming, it's not really a factor to consider. PhysX is pretty cool though. You can already use PhysX with your existing hardware. A GTX770 certainly won't need a secondary graphics card for PhysX - it has more than enough muscle to use PhysX by itself.
June 19, 2013 7:34:15 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Pleasure. I'm glad to help :-) Don't worry about CUDA unless you're into professional video/photo editing or other GPU-intensive work. For gaming, it's not really a factor to consider. PhysX is pretty cool though. You can already use PhysX with your existing hardware. A GTX770 certainly won't need a secondary graphics card for PhysX - it has more than enough muscle to use PhysX by itself.


So the bottleNeck seems to be the card itself as it doesn't have enough RAM for frame rendering :( . Ok that's fine I'll survice with this. A little out of topics question, any luck to sell that kind of card into the current market ?

I think I'll open a new topic about my global configuration to see what I'll have to upgrade to make it on the good way for a couple of years.
a b Î Nvidia
June 19, 2013 7:37:26 AM

Exactly. As for selling it, hard to say... the GTX295 is a very cool bit of hardware and there would definitely be appeal to some people to own a classic dual-GPU card. If they're considering the purchase purely interms of performance, you'd probably have to be selling them for below €100 each. And if they're considering power consumption, heat, DX11 support etc (all that modern good stuff) then you may need to drop the price lower. I'd just start at €100 and gradually decrease the price until they sell.
!