i5 3470 rig vs FX 8320 rig

YCobb

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I'm looking at two computers - one is a heavily discounted prebuilt i5 and the other I'd assemble with an FX 8320. I can't go much higher than the price range on either of these.

The AMD machine would have 16 GB RAM versus the i5's 8, and I'll be putting a GTX 560 graphics card into either machine. ((The prebuilt would also receive a 600W PSU I've got lying around))

Should I prefer one over the other? Will my graphics card be too large a bottleneck for the CPU to matter either way?
I'm upgrading from an AMD Athlon II x4 620 with 4 GB ram, so if there are only slight differences I'll just go for the cheaper option since both will be much faster than what I'm accustomed to.

I see a few threads saying the i5 is faster than the FX, but the FX has a slightly higher passmark score, so I assumed it would be approximately the same speed. Any input here?

Thanks y'all.

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Your link to the FX 8320 build does not work. It just goes to the general pcpartpicker site and not your specific build on the site.

However, my opinion (for what it's worth) is to stay away from the prebuilt. If you are willing to build a pc yourself, then go that route with either an Intel or AMD build.

You don't need 16GB of RAM unless you are doing a lot of video editing. 8GB is more than enough for most tasks.

So if I understand your post correctly, you already have a PSU and graphics card, right? Just need to know for certain before we start posting possible solutions for you.

Oh, BTW, never go by passmark scores. They are pretty much useless in comparing cpus.

YCobb

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Ah, whoops. I'll fix that partpicker link.

Would 16GB RAM be useful for future-proofing, or should I expect for a faster class to be standard by the time I'd need to upgrade?

Yeah, I have the graphics card and PSU from my previous computer. I only added a 750W to the 8320 machine because it was in a bundle on Newegg, so I suppose I don't need it either. Should have thought a bit harder there.

jinayhvora

Honorable
don't need 16GB currently, by the time u start feeling shortage it may be time for a whole new build, and in either case, the motherboard has 4 RAM slots so u can upgrade too also, what brand is ur PSU? also, do u already have the GPU? if not i would not recommend going for a 2 generations old one

YCobb

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
Yeah, I'm stuck with the video card unless a 650 would be a worthwhile step-up. Really limited price range here.

PSU is Enermax NAXN, around 650-750 Watts.