Solved

How many Watts will I need for this build?

I have no idea what to look for when it comes for this, so I'm asking this forum. I've had great feedback when it comes to these forums, so I'm asking you guys. Hopefully I can get some help.

1 x Case ( AZZA Armour Gaming Case - Red )
1 x Processor ( AMD A8-5600K APU (4x 3.60GHz/4MB L2 Cache) )
1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow) )
1 x Memory ( 4 GB [4 GB X1] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )
1 x Video Card ( AMD Radeon HD 7750 - 1GB - FREE Upgrade to Radeon 7770 - Single Card )
1 x Free Stuff ( [FREE Game Download] - SimCity - Free with purchase of select AMD APU )
1 x Motherboard ( ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 -- 6x USB3.0, 1x eSATA-III 6Gb/s )
1 x Power Supply ( 500 Watt - Standard )
1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )
1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )
1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
1 x Operating System ( Windows 8 + Office 2010 Trial [Free 60-Day !!!] - 64-bit )
1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard - FREE Upgrade to A4Tech Blue LED Backlit Gaming Keyboard ($19 value) )
1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse - Blood Red )
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about watts build
  1. You will only need about 400 watts for a build like that. I'd suggest getting a modular power supply if possible.
  2. Well the Corsair CX 430w PSU would do, but for upgrades and to leave some room for PSU degradation, I would opt for a quality 500-550w PSU from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, PCP&C, or XFX if I were you. It looks like your trying to buy a pre-built system from iBuypower and I'm not sure what brand of PSU that they use, so keep that in mind.

    Here is what I'd get to give me maximum PSU for the $ and not break the bank:

    $56 - $10 MIR = $46!
    XFX 550W PRO550W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 44A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze

    $45 - $20 MIRc = $25!! Minimum that I'd get if the budget was tight.
    CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

    upgrade from the CX 430w PSU:

    $50 - $20 MIRc = $30!

    CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
  3. The 7770 requires a power supply with at least 400W. You'll be fine with your 500W.
  4. Thanks guys, wasn't expecting an answer this fast. I really appreciate it :P
  5. Hey bob what psu do you have?
  6. I believe I'll go with the 500 if that'll work
    .
  7. Yes that will be ok , it's a 2 teir unit ,which is pretty solid.The Hale models are decent.
  8. Woo, now I just have to wait till next week so I'll have the 780$ to spend.
  9. Alright, screw this website, it doesn't save the cart files. Can you guys help me build a budget gaming PC between 500-600$?
  10. Best answer
    Something like this (Assuming you have Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, OS):

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($92.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $617.49
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-21 00:51 EDT-0400)

    or if you prefer Nvidia GPU:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($92.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $615.48
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-21 00:52 EDT-0400)

    With OS, if you need that:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $600.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-21 00:56 EDT-0400)
  11. lunyone said:
    Something like this (Assuming you have Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, OS):

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($92.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $617.49
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-21 00:51 EDT-0400)

    or if you prefer Nvidia GPU:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($92.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $615.48
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-21 00:52 EDT-0400)

    With OS, if you need that:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($66.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.00 @ Amazon)
    Total: $600.52
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-21 00:56 EDT-0400)


    Agreed ^
  12. Lunyone, that power source won't work with that video card. Is there another one that would?
  13. So that Power supply will work with the video card that Luny told me to get?
  14. So that Power supply will work with the video card that Luny told me to get?
  15. which one he mentioned a few.


    XFX 550W 80 Plus Bronze Core Edition PSU
    Form Factor: ATX


    Wattage: 550W


    SLI/Crossfire: CrossFire Ready
    SLI Ready


    Special Features: Active PFC


    Energy Efficiency: 80 PLUS Bronze


    Fan: 135 mm


    Input Voltage: 100 ~ 240 VAC


    +3.3V: 24 A


    +5V: 24 A


    +12V 1: 44 A


    +12V Rails: 1


    -12V: 0.5 A


    +5VSB: 2.5 A


    Motherboard Connector: 20+4 Pin


    4-Pin P4: 1


    6-Pin PCI-Express Connector: 1


    6-Pin/8-Pin PCI-Express Connector: 1



    4-Pin Floppy Connector: 2


    4-Pin Peripheral Connector: 2


    SATA Power Connector: 3
  16. BobPwnz said:
    Lunyone, that power source won't work with that video card. Is there another one that would?


    The Corsair CX 500w PSU will work all the way up to a 7970 GPU (although I'd rather have the XFX 550w PSU that I linked in the other build). If your not OC'ing any the Corsair CX 500w is plenty for the builds that I listed.
  17. I've looked over everything, but I'm still not sure if it all will work.. I'll have to look more thoroughly tomorrow. Thanks Blackbird.
  18. lunyone said:
    BobPwnz said:
    Lunyone, that power source won't work with that video card. Is there another one that would?


    The Corsair CX 500w PSU will work all the way up to a 7970 GPU (although I'd rather have the XFX 550w PSU that I linked in the other build). If your not OC'ing any the Corsair CX 500w is plenty for the builds that I listed.


    I don't think the power pins for the Video Card won't work because it's not the right pin sets.. From what I understand.
  19. The Corsair CX 500w PSU has 2 x 6+2-Pin, which means you can use the pins as a 6 pin or an 8 pin PCI-e power connector. So you can have 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 8 pin (6 + 2 pin).

    6 + 2 pin PCI-e connector shown below:



    Here's the plug in's on a 7870 GPU, so you can see that this one in particular has 2 x 6 pin PCI-e power connections needed to power the GPU:



    Conversely the GTX 660/7850 will have a PCI-e power connection, like pictured below:

Ask a new question

Read More

Components