Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to reduce ICH temperature?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 1:44:36 AM

I have a 5 yr old intel DG45ID motherboard. Recently i noticed my ICH temp is hovering around 80-82 deg C at idle. As aftermarket ICH cooler with fan are hard to find in my country, i tried to solve the issue by improvising a 80mm fan near the ICH (within the 3.5" HDD bays) which blows air into the ICH heatsink. But that lowers the temp to 70-72 deg C, still pretty high.

Now I am planning get a new system within a year or so and I don't want my ICH to get burnt in the meantime.
So can anyone suggest any solution?
Thanks!

My ICH looks exactly like this:

More about : reduce ich temperature

a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 2:03:20 AM

i think u are from india and i also think(although 95% unsure) that u have posted a same thread about this,however u can get a aftermarket cooler like cooler master hyper 212 EVO,it shall bring down the cpu temp. to 60-64C.what cpu do u own?what psu?give ur pc specs and then i shall be able to help u more accurately.If u want a new MB and cpu,mention ur budget :) 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 3:13:36 AM

sourodip said:
i think u are from india and i also think(although 95% unsure) that u have posted a same thread about this,however u can get a aftermarket cooler like cooler master hyper 212 EVO,it shall bring down the cpu temp. to 60-64C.what cpu do u own?what psu?give ur pc specs and then i shall be able to help u more accurately.If u want a new MB and cpu,mention ur budget :) 


Well, you got the first part right bro! I'm from India. But the cooler you mentioned is for the cpu & my cpu is absolutely fine with no heating issue at all. I have problems with my ICH (commonly known as the Southbridge) of my motherboard. I would appreciate if you can give some solutions to reduce my ICH temperature.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 3:30:55 AM

well if ur ICH is heating then,do u have a pci-lan card?there may not be much airflow,what case do u have?monitored ur gpu temps?if all these cases are right,then it is the motherboard.well let me know
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 4:36:40 AM

sourodip said:
well if ur ICH is heating then,do u have a pci-lan card?there may not be much airflow,what case do u have?monitored ur gpu temps?if all these cases are right,then it is the motherboard.well let me know


I don't have a pci lan card but have a pci tv tuner card but that is placed much below the level of ICH, so no chance of airflow being blocked by the card. And I also attached two 80mm fans within the 3.5" hdd bay facing the motherboard to increase the airflow to the ICH & MCH.
I have a frontech jaguar case (probably a mid tower, I'm not sure though).
I also don't have an add-on gpu card.
My cpu temp is 40-45 deg C at idle, hardly reaching 55-60 with full load and my MCH temp always stays below 60 degrees.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 4:42:19 AM

i think ambient airflow is not there(not sure though),the motherboard may be running hot too
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 5:10:55 AM

sourodip said:
i think ambient airflow is not there(not sure though),the motherboard may be running hot too

Motherboard temperature hovers around 37-38 degrees. I don't think airflow is a problem coz if it were, other components would have had the same heating issue. but other components are doing fine, even with full cpu load. Only the ICH temperature is going up. Besides I have improvised two intake fans in the front and one exhaust fan in the back to increase the airflow.

I was thinking if removing the heatsink of the ICH and re-applying the thermal paste can solve the issue but I haven't done that before so am not confident...:??: 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 5:25:54 AM

yeah try to remove the ICH and before applying the heatsink pest remember to clean the previous thermal compound(heatsink pest) with a grease cleaner that comes with the pest or with isopropylalcohol.By the way is the chipset's voltage increased by u through bios?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 5:54:36 AM

sourodip said:
yeah try to remove the ICH and before applying the heatsink pest remember to clean the previous thermal compound(heatsink pest) with a grease cleaner that comes with the pest or with isopropylalcohol.By the way is the chipset's voltage increased by u through bios?


All my components run on factory settings, I haven't changed anything in the bios.
Btw, do you know how to remove the ICH heatsink? Coz it's not as easy as removing the cpu heatsink, I've tried to remove it once before but the clip that holds the heatsink in position is very rigid and removing it without bending it or the heatsink seems impossible. So, I gave up trying. But now it seems I don't have a choice but to remove it forcefully... :( 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 21, 2013 5:59:47 AM

be very careful,u can damage it.u have to try removing it lightly not forcefully and if possible get it to a service center and tell them to apply the paste if u think that it would be risky doing it all by yourself
m
0
l
!