Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Adding a XP drive to a W7 system

Last response: in Storage
Share
June 21, 2013 9:49:49 AM

I have a W7 system and I would like to add the hard drive from my old XP system, just to have the data avilable. What do I need to do to make the 2 drives work together. Thanks

More about : adding drive system

June 21, 2013 9:58:02 AM

All you have to do is plug it in. As long as you don't have it installed as a primary drive...you should be able to see it listed on W7.

I would recommend Copy all the data you need from it, and format the drive and use it as a data drive.
m
0
l
June 21, 2013 10:09:39 AM

Thanks!

I am a novice, do I have to move jumpers or anything on the drive or are they part of the PC harness?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 795 G Storage
June 21, 2013 10:26:53 AM

klgilbert said:
Thanks!

I am a novice, do I have to move jumpers or anything on the drive or are they part of the PC harness?


If it is a SATA drive (two small flat connectors), no. Just plug it in.
m
0
l
June 21, 2013 10:47:46 AM

USAFRet said:
klgilbert said:
Thanks!

I am a novice, do I have to move jumpers or anything on the drive or are they part of the PC harness?


If it is a SATA drive (two small flat connectors), no. Just plug it in.


m
0
l
June 21, 2013 10:49:13 AM

It says on the drive "Enhanced IDE Hard Drive"
m
0
l
a c 795 G Storage
June 21, 2013 11:00:36 AM

klgilbert said:
It says on the drive "Enhanced IDE Hard Drive"


Well...unless your new Win7 system has an IDE port (unlikely), you'll have to go through other means.

Fortunately, there are multiple options...:) 
A USB-SATA/IDE dock, or USB-SATA/IDE cable (I use one of these all the time)

Or, a PCI-E IDE card.

How large is the old drive, and what space do you have available on the new system. It is often advisable to just get the cheap cable option, copy your personal data to the new system, and move on.
After that, you can format the old drive (you don't need the XP install anymore) and possibly use it as a once a week backup.
m
0
l
June 21, 2013 11:06:22 AM

USAFRet said:
klgilbert said:
It says on the drive "Enhanced IDE Hard Drive"


Well...unless your new Win7 system has an IDE port (unlikely), you'll have to go through other means.

Fortunately, there are multiple options...:) 
A USB-SATA/IDE dock, or USB-SATA/IDE cable (I use one of these all the time)

Or, a PCI-E IDE card.

How large is the old drive, and what space do you have available on the new system. It is often advisable to just get the cheap cable option, copy your personal data to the new system, and move on.
After that, you can format the old drive (you don't need the XP install anymore) and possibly use it as a once a week backup.


m
0
l
June 21, 2013 11:07:38 AM

The drive is 200G. It sounds like the USB option is the simplest.

Thanks for the help!
m
0
l
!