Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help on ~800 build

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2013 12:55:32 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Latest would be July 4th Weekend, I'll be looking for deals and such

Budget Range: $700- $800 ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming mostly, but will be for college work and watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Where ever you need to go

Parts Preferences: None really, I dont know the difference between them really

Overclocking: Doubt I would need to.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, i believe

Additional Comments: Would like it quiet it cool, I dont want my room getting hot. Ill be playing games like, League of Legends, Arkham Asylum that sort of stuff. Just getting into computer gaming again so where ill be playing im not 100% sure.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I;m using a Laptop at the moment but always have wanted to build a PC.

My biggest problem is that 1 i dont really no how to build a PC, and 2 I know a good amount on how to maintain, use many programs on it but when it comes to the internal specs its all just letters to me. Any help would be helpful, Thank you.

Here is a build I think is somewhat okay, I still have room to upgrade and such, but like I said above alot of this is letters to me. Again Thank you for any help, Just trying to expand my computer knowledge one thing at a time

Edit: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18Qbr
Sorry forgot to link list

More about : 800 build

June 21, 2013 2:09:26 PM

Jackson Hall said:
Here is a build I think is somewhat okay, I still have room to upgrade and such, but like I said above alot of this is letters to me. Again Thank you for any help, Just trying to expand my computer knowledge one thing at a time

Looks like you meant to share a link or some parts but there's nothing there.

Regarding your questions.....

Overclocking: Maybe (Not sure what this is)
*Running the CPU at a higher speed than what it's rated at to increase performance, requires approximately $50-70 additional investment for parts required

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe ( Not sure what this is)
*Running 2 graphics cards linked together to double graphics performance

I'll post a parts list in your budget shortly, and you will probably have several choices from other users.
m
l

Best solution

June 21, 2013 2:49:10 PM

This is a bit more, but a very good build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $839.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Also, @sharkbyte5150, SLI and CrossFireX rarely doubles in performance. And it scales worse the more you go up.

@Jackson Hall: Overclocking is the process of upping your CPU speeds to higher than it was designed for. This increases performance, but also increases heat and a bad voltage can also fry your CPU, motherboard, and other components. So be patient and cautious when you do so. SLI and CrossFireX is the name for multi-GPU setup for NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards respectively. Rarely will adding another card double (100%) in performance. It's usually a lot lower. Some cards scale great in SLI, some scale terribly. And Tri-SLI/Tri-CrossFireX and Quad-SLI/Quad-CrossFireX are even worse.
Related resources
June 21, 2013 3:20:51 PM

My personal recommendation would look a bit like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18Rtu

It fits within your budget well, yet has excellent specs for playing a variety of games... Yes I know its AMD based, but I think even Intel fans (myself included) will admit that it has some great specs!
m
l
June 21, 2013 3:52:24 PM

More budget-friendly version close to performance of ksham's (better CPU, but no SSD and marginally lower graphics)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/18S08
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg) Motherboard: MSI H77MA-G43 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.70 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.16 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($248.98 @ Newegg) Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $778.79

If you're interested at all in OC'ing.....
If you live near a MicroCenter you can get the 3570K (pickup only) for $189, then get a 212 EVO CPU cooler and the MSI Z77 G43 mobo and overall will have you just over $800 with all else staying same.

And per ksham's comment, he's right I meant to say "boost" rather than double performance regarding Crossfire/SLI
m
l
June 21, 2013 4:05:16 PM

King Hackintosh said:

It fits within your budget well, yet has excellent specs for playing a variety of games... Yes I know its AMD based, but I think even Intel fans (myself included) will admit that it has some great specs!

Specs-wise, excellent, but not really "within" his budget and usually AMD allows you you to get better parts all around. I've heard that PSU isn't all that great among Corsair lineup. If I used that AMD build, I'd drop to a 6-core and get an XFX or Seasonic PSU and maybe a great deal on slightly better GPU.
m
l
June 21, 2013 4:09:54 PM

sharkbyte5150 said:
King Hackintosh said:

Not really "within" his budget and I've heard that PSU isn't all that great among Corsair lineup. On that AMD build, I'd drop to 6-core in favor of better PSU, maybe GPU step up.

That might work too. I actually own the PSU and it is just fine. I would agree that a graphics card upgrade might be better, although the 660 is pretty good all things considered...
m
l
June 21, 2013 5:51:32 PM

I appreciate all the builds and help understand the aspects i didnt know. I'll look at them and try to understand whats going on. It's crazy how fast the price can fluctuate with some one component. If there are any other suggestions please feel free it is always good to have options

Edit: I was wonder what the point of the SSD drive was if there is a TB internal drive. Any answer would be appreciated
m
l
June 21, 2013 7:10:59 PM

@Jackson Hall: a SSD allows for faster access time. Many folds faster than a HDD. So it grants faster boot time and application launch time. Nothing else.
m
l
!