Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Motherboard Vs. CPU; something's up but i"m not sure what's going on

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 22, 2013 10:58:18 AM

Good Day Everyone,
I'm having a problem with my wife's computer and i'm leaning towards the Motherboard going out but I wanted to see if there was any more insight before I drop the money for a new mobo.

Issue: Computer won't boot, or post, regularly.

Symptoms:
- I push the power button and it turns on, hard drive spins, fan spins, cd rom spins, but the system doesn't post(Beep). It just sits in this state and nothing happens
- When I hold down the power button, nothing happens. I have to manually switch of the PSU to turn the computer off again
- Randomly, it does start to boot but after accessing the motherboard bios, the monitor will just go blank and everything will stop responding.

Troubleshooting so far:
1. Re-seated the Ram and PSU; issue persists
2. Unhooked CD rom, harddrive; issue persists
3. Re-set bios: this caused it to work for 30 seconds till the screen went blank(Symptom 3)
4. Replaced monitor to working computer, monitor works fine.

Parts:
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX455WFGMBOX

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

HIS H467QS1GH Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x1

More about : motherboard cpu

a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2013 11:11:26 AM

Check for bent pins on the cpu
m
0
l
June 22, 2013 11:35:12 AM

expl0itfinder said:
Check for bent pins on the cpu


Thanks for the insight but I haven't removed the CPU in about 1.5 years. it's been working up until yesterday.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2013 11:37:55 AM

tiger_eyes1 said:
expl0itfinder said:
Check for bent pins on the cpu


Thanks for the insight but I haven't removed the CPU in about 1.5 years. it's been working up until yesterday.


Oh so this is a recent issue. Ok, well it may be an issue with either the PSU or RAM, is there any way you can check the ram in a different computer?
m
0
l
June 22, 2013 11:46:58 AM

Unfortunantly not, my computer is still running DDR2 while hers is DDR3. My friend brought over his ram, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B; and the issue is persisting.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2013 11:47:53 AM

tiger_eyes1 said:
Unfortunantly not, my computer is still running DDR2 while hers is DDR3. My friend brought over his ram, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B; and the issue is persisting.


Ok, so that narrows it down to the PSU. What brand do you own?
Share
June 22, 2013 11:50:02 AM

Okay, i'll try that. THe PSU she has is a Apevia but it is a bit old. I've got a corsair modle in my computer. I"ll try swapping that out to see if that resolves the issue. be back in 10-15 min.
m
0
l
June 22, 2013 12:57:17 PM

Okay, a little bit longer that 15 minutes but It does appedar that the PSU is the issue. I was able to manage bios and boot in to windows with no issues, something I haven't been able to do since yesterday. Thank you for the insight, I really appriciate the help!
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 22, 2013 3:05:28 PM

tiger_eyes1 said:
Okay, i'll try that. THe PSU she has is a Apevia but it is a bit old. I've got a corsair modle in my computer. I"ll try swapping that out to see if that resolves the issue. be back in 10-15 min.


tiger_eyes1 said:
Okay, a little bit longer that 15 minutes but It does appedar that the PSU is the issue. I was able to manage bios and boot in to windows with no issues, something I haven't been able to do since yesterday. Thank you for the insight, I really appriciate the help!


No problem, glad we have it figured out!
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 23, 2013 12:56:51 PM

Motherboard could be dead. But i don't know how something like that could just happen. But we're running out of things to blame
m
0
l
!