Solved

Recommended 1TB hard drive

I'm building my first computer build, and I'm not sure what to do for an HDD.

I'm leaning toward Western Digital here; they seem to have good ratings overall, but I'd like to see what everyone here thinks.

It's primarily going to be used for low to mid-level gaming purposes, so I'm going to start with a 1TB HDD.

My budget is somewhat tight in this area, however; I would like it to be <$100 in price.

Thanks for any help you can give!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about recommended 1tb hard drive
  1. I would go with seagate, WD has poor quality control and has a very high RMA rate. Ive never gotten a bad seagate drive for budget 1TB drives
  2. firo40 said:
    I would go with seagate, WD has poor quality control and has a very high RMA rate. Ive never gotten a bad seagate drive for budget 1TB drives


    Any specific recommendations from Seagate, then?
  3. Best answer
    If you prefer WD, get the WD 1TB Black. It's $95 these days.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

    Avoid the WD Green disks, those are very slow.
  4. firo40 said:
    I would go with seagate, WD has poor quality control and has a very high RMA rate. Ive never gotten a bad seagate drive for budget 1TB drives


    LOL I would have said just the opposite. I think Seagates poor quality control is why they lowered their warranty to 2 years.

    Don't you love drives that have a MTBF that is like 30 years and they change the warranty from 3 to 2 years?
  5. Hi

    I would look for a version with 3 year manufacturers guarantee (possibly 5 years)
    This probably needs a retail boxed version
    It will cost slightly more but will give peace of mind.

    Looking at website retailers you see similar 1 TB drives with different guarantees and prices

    Some are selling OEM hard disks from bulk packs meant for computer builders, without the manufacturers guarantee

    (The number of independent companies manufacturing hard disks is much reduced with some famous names now just brands owned by Seagate & Western Digital)

    regards

    Mike Barnes
  6. aevm said:
    If you prefer WD, get the WD 1TB Black. It's $95 these days.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

    Avoid the WD Green disks, those are very slow.

    Yeah, I've heard a lot of bad things about the WD Green disks. It's more environmentally friendly, but not worth it. I think I will look into Black; it seems to be a good disk, especially for the type of computer I'm building.

    jnkweaver said:
    firo40 said:
    I would go with seagate, WD has poor quality control and has a very high RMA rate. Ive never gotten a bad seagate drive for budget 1TB drives


    LOL I would have said just the opposite. I think Seagates poor quality control is why they lowered their warranty to 2 years.

    Don't you love drives that have a MTBF that is like 30 years and they change the warranty from 3 to 2 years?

    I've heard both sides before; it seems to be a matter of opinion. Personally, I prefer WD; I'm not quite sure why. I guess it's something similar to the ongoing "Apple vs. Microsoft" debate.

    Anonymous said:
    Hi

    I would look for a version with 3 year manufacturers guarantee (possibly 5 years)
    This probably needs a retail boxed version
    It will cost slightly more but will give peace of mind.

    Looking at website retailers you see similar 1 TB drives with different guarantees and prices

    Some are selling OEM hard disks from bulk packs meant for computer builders, without the manufacturers guarantee

    (The number of independent companies manufacturing hard disks is much reduced with some famous names now just brands owned by Seagate & Western Digital)

    regards

    Mike Barnes

    Western Digital says that Black has a 5 year warranty, but is slightly more expensive than Blue. I think that you're probably right, though; it would probably save me time, money, and work in the long run if I pay the few extra bucks, just in case.

    Thank you, everyone! I can't select three solutions, as far as I know, so I will have to make do with marking only one. However, all three of you were very helpful indeed.
  7. I had the black 1tb version and it keep dying on me even when it was on minimum use and didn't had more then 180 gb on it, I've replace it for 3 times and still saw how it keep dying for less then half year

    this drive is bad so stay away from it
Ask a new question

Read More

Western Digital Computers Storage Hard Drives