Another 7970 vs 770 question, plus PSU!

Tapakidney

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Hi, just looking for some opinions or info that I may have overlooked.

I have these parts on order:

4770k (Hoping for a 4.4GHZ OC)
750W Rosewill Capstone gold certified
Gigabyte GTX 770 ($400)
Sapphire 7970 OC with Boost ($300)

I will be gaming on a single 2560x1440 monitor.

I have looked at benchmarks and wattage calculators till I want to puke - so much data, sometimes conflicting! What I ultimately want is to run anything and everything maxed at 1440p. This will involve SLi/Crossfire in my future.

I hear AMD Crossfire currently has issues, but those issues are SUPPOSEDLY being ironed out. On the other hand, I know Nvidia is supposed to be very reliable, smooth, and scales well. BUT, ultimately, the Nvidia solution will be $200 more. I also have a minor worry that 2gb VRAM might cause trouble down the road...

In addition, it seems that OC'ing Crossfired 7970's to GHz+ speeds on this PSU will likely be impossible, but the 770's will likely be fine with this PSU. I really like what I've read about this PSU, and like the deal I got too, so changing that is not preferable...

One more little factor - whichever GPU I don't use will go into a build I will do and sell on Craigslist. I will keep the games that came bundled either way, so I will consider them value added to WHICHEVER card I keep (Just internal manipulation of my thinking).

So, what would you go with? Why?

Thanks!

airborn824

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
YOu will save $$ with the 7970 thus go for it and use the money for a full tower, also you get 3 good games. Bpth are very reliable but there are areas the 7970 is better which makes the $100 seem like more

Latest posts