Will a 1600 Mhz RAM Work With An AMD FX-8350 ?

GhostPC

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
hi Guys,

i want to upgrade my CPU to an amd fx-8350 will it work with my 1600 Mhz RAM
My Specs : ( would be nice if you give me your opinion on the motherboard too)

Motherboard : MSI 890FXA-GD70 (i have to flash the bios i know)

CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1055t

RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600 Mhz

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 GDDR5
(also going to upgrade to a sapphire HD 7970)

PSU: Antec 750 watt Earthwatts

Thanks in Advance,

Note : if anyone has experience with this motherboard bios (sitting RAM timing and speed etc,) Please let me know.

Solution
Your question, I think, is misguided. Of course the RAM will work with the CPU. The answer you're looking for, however, is that the new CPU will work with your motherboard. The motherboard and CPU are both AM3+ and the motherboard you have supports 1600MHz RAM. You will have to manually clock the RAM in the BIOS, or it will not run at 1600MHz. There are probably preset "profiles" for 1600MHz RAM installed on the motherboard, so doing it manually may be as easy as selecting "profile 1" or the like - whichever is preset to 1600MHz.

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Your question, I think, is misguided. Of course the RAM will work with the CPU. The answer you're looking for, however, is that the new CPU will work with your motherboard. The motherboard and CPU are both AM3+ and the motherboard you have supports 1600MHz RAM. You will have to manually clock the RAM in the BIOS, or it will not run at 1600MHz. There are probably preset "profiles" for 1600MHz RAM installed on the motherboard, so doing it manually may be as easy as selecting "profile 1" or the like - whichever is preset to 1600MHz.

Solution

GhostPC

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Thanks For The Fast Reply
(what made unsure was that i read somewhere that this cpu only runs 1866 mhz ram when in dual channel mode)
so my ram will work with the cpu got that.
but do i have clock it from the bios ? ( i have no experience in OverClocking )

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013

You're not overclocking. You're simply setting the proper RAM timings to the appropriate speed and voltage of that particular set of RAM. I suggest downloading your motherboard's manual and reading how to do this. If you enter the BIOS, that RAM will probably be set at 800MHz default. You'll have to change that to 1600MHz and, if required, hike up the voltage on the RAM to account for the increase. It's easiest if you have a separate computer from which to read the instructions while you follow along with the computer you're doing this to. It's really rather simple, but you have to be careful because it is certainly easy to screw things up if you have no idea what you're doing. Like I said, there should be "profiles" in the BIOS that make things easy on you. One of those profiles should be for RAM running at 1600MHz as it is all too common these days. Maybe someone with experience with that particular motherboard can shine more light on what steps to take.

kid-mid

Honorable
May 1, 2013
MSI 890FXA-GD70 - is that a 'white socket' or a 'black socket' version, they made two different ones?
the 'white' is AM3 and the 'black' is AM3+

I might be wrong about that.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No problem, just wanted to clarify, I know a lot about the 8350 even though I don't build AMD and went to war with them over their advertising as it being Native 1866, which it isn't, they finally changed the advertising to reflect the 1 DIMM per channel thing (this actually started with the 8150, went through a lot of emails with them before they changed)

kid-mid

Honorable
May 1, 2013

good info, thanks...