Motherboard - MSI P55-GD65
Monitor - BenQ E2200 HD
Graphics Card - MSI GTX 560-ti Twin FROZR
RAM - Corsair XMS3 2*2 GB Dual channel DDR3 1600 MHz
HDDs - 4.5 TB (5 HDD's total)
SSD - None
PSU - Corsair VX 550w
Cabinet - CM 430

PC is running a bit sluggish now, and also running very hot (around 90c on load, both cpu + gpu) and I want to beef it up a bit.

To do that I think I should get a CPU Cooler and overclock my CPU to 4.0 GHz, get 8 GB (4x2 dual channel) of RAM, and also a 120/128 GB SSD.

Can you people suggest the components or maybe something different to give my PC a small upgrade?

Budget is 200 - 250$ and at max 300$. Can't go over that really.

Thanks, looking forward to the help!

More about : 200 250 revamp

June 23, 2013 3:55:08 AM

Favorite upgrade of mine for sluggish PC - SSD!

Silent Case fan(s) to cool internals + better Heat Sink for CPU might help cool system down.
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 3:55:10 AM

Sell your 560 Ti and use the funds towards a HD 7970 or GTX 770.
Check your ram utilization to see if you actually use over 75%. If so, picking up two extra sticks would be a good choice.

Also, what cooler are you using on your CPU and when is the last time you dusted out your case?

mcaalrington said:

Defragmentation along with clearing out bloatware would also resolve this issue. A SSD provides no real performance increase beyond improving load times.
Related resources
June 23, 2013 4:01:20 AM

mcaalrington said:

Silent Case fan(s) to cool internals + better Heat Sink for CPU might help cool system down.

I already have three 120mm fans in the PC. Should get more?

slomo4sho said:
Sell your 560 Ti and use the funds towards a HD 7970 or GTX 770.
Check your ram utilization to see if you actually use over 75%. If so, picking up two extra sticks would be a good choice.

Also, what cooler are you using on your CPU and when is the last time you dusted out your case?

My 560-ti is doing the job for me fine. I'm not disappointed with the gaming performance at all. BF3 runs on medium details with over 100 FPS, and CS:GO and LoL both have no problems at the very high details.

My usual RAM utilisation is crossing 3.1-3.2 GB now-a-days and I therefore thought of getting new RAM.

*ashamed* I am using the stock intel cooler, and the last time I cleaned dust from my PC would be November 2012 when I shifted my house. Also it's very hot here, and I don't have an A.C. fwiw.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 4:11:01 AM

Thanks for clarifying your usage. Here are the recommended options:

Dust out your case and reapply thermal past on the CPU cooler. Add a couple extra fans and maybe work on the cable management to improve airflow. It is good to have intake fans on the bottom/front of the case and exhaust fans on the top/back of the case.
Defrg your drives and clear out bloatware. You can pickup software like WinPatrol to modify your start-up programs. If your system still feels sluggish then consider adding the ram. If the ram doesn't resolve the issues then consider a new CPU cooler and an overclock. If it is still not good enough then consider adding a SSD.
June 23, 2013 4:50:09 AM

slomo4sho said:
Thanks for clarifying your usage. Here are the recommended options:

Dust out your case and reapply thermal past on the CPU cooler. Add a couple extra fans and maybe work on the cable management to improve airflow. It is good to have intake fans on the bottom/front of the case and exhaust fans on the top/back of the case.
Defrg your drives and clear out bloatware. You can pickup software like WinPatrol to modify your start-up programs. If your system still feels sluggish then consider adding the ram. If the ram doesn't resolve the issues then consider a new CPU cooler and an overclock. If it is still not good enough then consider adding a SSD.

I defrag my HDD's around once a month. Should I do it more often?

What If I really want to overclock my PC...? Is the Corsair H80i a good option, then? I want to hit 4.00 GHz, as I'm sure that'll speed up the old rig quite a bit.
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 4:54:16 AM

aman27deep said:

What If I really want to overclock my PC...? Is the Corsair H80i a good option, then? I want to hit 4.00 GHz, as I'm sure that'll speed up the old rig quite a bit.

Once a month is sufficient. Have you ensured that there isn't bloatware bogging down your machine?

COOLER MASTER Seidon 120M performs slightly better than the H60 and is currently only $35 after rebate.
a b à CPUs
June 23, 2013 5:02:14 AM

I saw a person with similar problems to yours with the same mobo. Reset the bios/take the battery out and put it back in. For the upgrade, I'd recommend a mobo/cpu combo. (4670k+Asrock Extreme 3) If not, then what you suggested would work swimmingly.
June 23, 2013 5:02:26 AM

slomo4sho said:
aman27deep said:

Once a month is sufficient. Have you ensured that there isn't bloatware bogging down your machine?

COOLER MASTER Seidon 120M performs slightly better than the H60 and is currently only $35 after rebate.

I'm from Asia, so newegg isn't an option sadly. Corsair H60i/H80i/H100 etc are more common here in stores.
June 26, 2013 2:46:26 PM

Not got a reply here for a few days, but fwiw, i'm giving an update.

Bought 4gbx2 G-Skill Ripjaws, Buying a Corsair H80i tomorrow, and buying a Samsung 840 120gb (not pro) SSD.

Hoping these things give the system a buzz, and I can finally overclock my CPU :) 
a b à CPUs
June 29, 2013 6:37:38 AM

aman27deep said:

Bought 4gbx2 G-Skill Ripjaws, Buying a Corsair H80i tomorrow, and buying a Samsung 840 120gb (not pro) SSD.

Hoping these things give the system a buzz, and I can finally overclock my CPU :) 

Did you follow the steps I posted?
July 5, 2013 4:43:32 PM

Thanatos Telos said:
aman27deep said:

Did you follow the steps I posted?

I didn't need to follow your steps. I had kept it as a backup though.

After H80i, temps are fantastic. I've even overclocked my i5 760 to 3.8 GHz.

I'm sorry for the super-duper late reply.
!