7950 crashes on windows welcome screen

Jiggitypuff

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
I built my new system about a month ago, it has been trouble free, plays bf3, mw3 on high res no problems. This week it wont boot past the Windows 7 welcome screen. I see the welcome screen, but it has 2 thick black horizontal lines on it with some random thin flickering lines, then I get a BSOD (no error), my screen still shows that it has signal. If I restart into safe mode and remove the drivers and clean with driver sweeper, I can use the system with the Standard VGA display drivers in normal mode. I have tried many different drivers from the OEM CD up to the latest 13.6 Beta driver. HERE"S WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING, if I remove the card from the PC and reinstall it, I can play games for 10-20 mins before it crashes, then back to the welcome screen BSOD crash.

My System:
ASRock Z77 extreme 4
i7-3770k 3.4GHz
G Skill Ripjaw 16GB (2X8)1600Mhz
ASUS HD 7950 DC2T 3GD5 V2
Corsair TX850 PSU
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Win 7 Home 64bit

Bios is standard on both the motherboard and the graphics card (no real changes that would help considering it has been working as is)
Never been overclocked.
my case has 6 fans including an 8" fan on the top of my case + the two on the 7950, its also cold here so over heating is not an issue.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012

Any way you could record some temps when playing games for a few minutes? I'd recommend you actually test your RAM using this tool: http://www.memtest86.com/ boot into it from a usb flash drive, or just try booting the system with one stick at a time. I had a similar issue and it ended up being RAM related, if your memory checks out though, you need to look into an RMA for your 7950.