Should I RMA my new gpu?

Well a few days ago my saphire radeon 7950 shipped to me. It installed with no issues. However I noticed that in msi afterburner at randoms times it will like idle at 85-100% for a while. I have no clue why, if i only have one tab of chrome open. I've switched x16 slots, I've reinstalled my whole OS. I switched from windows 8 to windows 7 and still no luck. So I'm starting to feel I got a corrupted card. Any feedback would be great!

PC Specs( If Needed )
AMD Phenom II x6 clocked at 3.6ghz
Saphire Radeon 7950
Corsair 650w psu
6GB Corsair Dominator Ram
Asus Crosshair V Motherboard
500gb WD Caviar Black


Photo of the issue:
13 answers Last reply
More about rma gpu
  1. It's most likely the power saving feature of the card. It adjusts the frequency to the actual load. This way it looks like it's running at 85%, but at a lower frequency.
  2. That is great to know^ Thanks alot man
  3. Also Check the bios rev of the bios file on your mb. Mb vendor over time drop patches for there mb for bug fixes. Make sure your running the newest bios file.
  4. I don't know if that is the exact reason, but it is close. I have a 7870 hawk and it tends to do the same thing. As long as it does not impact your gaming performance, I see no issues. It usually does this when I am on the internet or I am watching some videos on youtube. I never really have problems with the card not performing to standards. The other you have to watch out for is that zero core is working properly. I know that when the monitor shuts off on my computer, the v card fans will shut off, boost to 100 to cool down, then shut off again. Sort of annoying.
  5. Remember modern web browsers often take advantage of GPU acceleration.

    Does it do it just sitting on the desktop at all?
  6. smeeze sometimes yes it does^
  7. Well that sounds alittle bit odd. What is your core and memory clock and how many monitors do you have attached?
  8. It's usually not as bad on the desktop. And currently I'm at 1100 core and 1400 memory, however at factory clock the same thing happened
  9. and one 1080p monitor*
  10. Kevin Gross said:
    It's usually not as bad on the desktop. And currently I'm at 1100 core and 1400 memory, however at factory clock the same thing happened


    Do the clocks go to idle on the desktop?
  11. smeezekitty said:
    Kevin Gross said:
    It's usually not as bad on the desktop. And currently I'm at 1100 core and 1400 memory, however at factory clock the same thing happened


    Do the clocks go to idle on the desktop?
    sometimes yes, but then sometimes it might jump to like 85% for a second then do it again
  12. Sounds like there is something that is using the gpu a little too much if those clocks are that high. You could always try making a bootable usb drive with windows on it (clean install) and see if the card still does it then.
  13. Fishwithadeagle said:
    Sounds like there is something that is using the gpu a little too much if those clocks are that high. You could always try making a bootable usb drive with windows on it (clean install) and see if the card still does it then.

    I stated in my post that I have done a fresh windows install.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics