Solved Closed

Windows 7 PC keeps shutting down randomly

My PC keeps shutting down randomly
When it shuts down it doesn't just shut down like the power has been unplugged, it turns off as though i have pressed shut down
Specs:
AMD Athlon II 640
4gb RAM (2x2gb)
ATI Radeon HD 4830 512mb
powered by
Corsair CX430 (modular)

It has worked fine for 5 months. I haven't done any overclocking.
Thanks in advance
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows shutting randomly
  1. How are your temps & fan speeds?
  2. ur6beersaway said:
    How are your temps & fan speeds?


    pretty good. Core temperatures are 23c whilst playing Skyrim, and graphics card is at 42c
  3. Thanks, Any error messages or it just drops out/off?
  4. ur6beersaway said:
    Thanks, Any error messages or it just drops out/off?

    no it just turns off without any messages

    Thanks for replying
  5. ur6beersaway said:

    so my PSU is dodgy?
  6. Best answer
    With no errors, or other symptoms/issues, shuts off. Replacement time, or if you have or can borrow one for testing, there is nothing left. They do wear out.
  7. ur6beersaway said:
    With no errors, or other symptoms/issues, shuts off. Replacement time, or if you have or can borrow one for testing, there is nothing left. They do wear out.


    I will just return it to Amazon, It came with a 3 year warranty I think.
    Thanks :D
  8. Had random shut downs replaced everything including os turned out to be keyboard. Now I have two computers lol.
  9. Jenlou said:
    Had random shut downs replaced everything including os turned out to be keyboard. Now I have two computers lol.


    Hey! It's been so long since I started this thread. Anyway it turned out it was my keyboard too. It was an old PS/2 one, and when I found out I replaced. :D
    xD
  10. well i have a windows 7 and got it this christmas ,and it started shutting off Can someone explain how i can fix this ? i know its not overheating tho its not hot & the fan is actually cold
  11. selenalovesu said:
    well i have a windows 7 and got it this christmas ,and it started shutting off Can someone explain how i can fix this ? i know its not overheating tho its not hot & the fan is actually cold


    Do you by any chance have a PS/2 mouse (Non-USB)? Well, if you do try replace it with a USB one to see if stat works.
    Check that first, then check for other problems like RAM problems, viruses.
    To check for RAM, use MemTest, and obviously run a virus scan for viruses.

    Give that a go :D
  12. unknown101 said:
    selenalovesu said:
    well i have a windows 7 and got it this christmas ,and it started shutting off Can someone explain how i can fix this ? i know its not overheating tho its not hot & the fan is actually cold


    Do you by any chance have a PS/2 mouse (Non-USB)? Well, if you do try replace it with a USB one to see if stat works.
    Check that first, then check for other problems like RAM problems, viruses.
    To check for RAM, use MemTest, and obviously run a virus scan for viruses.

    Give that a go :D


    Hi I am having this problem, I have just installed win 7 and it keeps powering off without warning. Temps are fine, have tried different memory. I have a ps/2 keyboard, can you explain why this shuts down the computer? I can't seem to find much information about this issue elsewhere. I just want to know before I buy a new keyboard. thanks
  13. grimg said:
    unknown101 said:
    selenalovesu said:
    well i have a windows 7 and got it this christmas ,and it started shutting off Can someone explain how i can fix this ? i know its not overheating tho its not hot & the fan is actually cold


    Do you by any chance have a PS/2 mouse (Non-USB)? Well, if you do try replace it with a USB one to see if stat works.
    Check that first, then check for other problems like RAM problems, viruses.
    To check for RAM, use MemTest, and obviously run a virus scan for viruses.

    Give that a go :D


    Hi I am having this problem, I have just installed win 7 and it keeps powering off without warning. Temps are fine, have tried different memory. I have a ps/2 keyboard, can you explain why this shuts down the computer? I can't seem to find much information about this issue elsewhere. I just want to know before I buy a new keyboard. thanks


    I really don't know or understand why it does this. Buy a cheap USB one or borrow one for a whilst. There is a chance it will stop shutting down.
  14. I also faced this problem in windows 7.

    When I installed win xp pc does not shut down but when I again upgrade to win7 its again shuts off

    I have upgrade it to win 8 and problem solve
  15. WINDOWS 7, Quad Core, dual monitor

    So while I was trying to find the answer to my black screen reboot without errors, I came across this thread. I have since fixed the problem, but felt I owed it to the community to come back and report.

    My issue: after ten minutes or so after booting, my system would just shut off. No BSOD, no error messages, no reboot. Just turn off.

    I first updated all drivers of course, USB drivers, Network Adapter drivers, Video drivers, basically everything. Did not change.

    I ran CCleaner, and did every test it had, including a registry clean. Did not change.

    I suspected my network adapter was the culprut, so I disabled it, and installed a wireless net work device. Did not change.

    In one of these threads I came across the Event Viewer. (Type event viewer in the start menu, and read the errors that it produces)

    This was the start to the answer. At least here there is an error log that you can review and hopefully gain a clue as to the source.

    This error log is frustrating because it lists every warning and error that is produced, and often they are not very descriptive. (more on this later.

    Finally one night I came home from work, and my house was cool, and I had to turn up the furnace. But before my house heated up, my computer was running great. No reboot. Once the house gained a certain temperature, the system shutdown started again.

    Clearly I was hunting for a temperature issue, but all fans seemed to be working normally. I downloaded a program that monitors the temperature of the CPU. Everything was normal.

    I was pretty bummed out because I thought I was on the right track.

    I went back to the Event Viewer to keep looking, and that's when I found one error right in the middle of 20 or 30 other ones. It was the first time I had ever seen this one. 'System has restarted unexpectedly due to an overheated graphics card.'

    So simple. Why had this error failed to appear before? I don't know.

    I have an ATI Crossover dual graphics card. It is two cards that run in tandem, hooked up with a crossover cable. I inspected the cards, and noticed one was VERY hot. It actually had to wait for it to cool down before I could remove it. I plugged my two monitors into the other card that was not running hot, and everything is bliss now.

    The moral of the story is that if your computer is turning off without warning, it is almost certainly not the OS, or a software related issue. Even if there is a faulty driver, it will usually produce an error, and will almost always make the machine reboot.

    When there is a heat related issue, the system turns itself off as a protective measure against fire. This makes a lot of sense.

    Anyhow, I hope this post helped somebody fix their issue. I have spent a week trying everything I've read on this board to fix the problem, and I guess it paid off.

    Thanks.
  16. Gary Burns said:
    WINDOWS 7, Quad Core, dual monitor

    So while I was trying to find the answer to my black screen reboot without errors, I came across this thread. I have since fixed the problem, but felt I owed it to the community to come back and report.

    My issue: after ten minutes or so after booting, my system would just shut off. No BSOD, no error messages, no reboot. Just turn off.

    I first updated all drivers of course, USB drivers, Network Adapter drivers, Video drivers, basically everything. Did not change.

    I ran CCleaner, and did every test it had, including a registry clean. Did not change.

    I suspected my network adapter was the culprut, so I disabled it, and installed a wireless net work device. Did not change.

    In one of these threads I came across the Event Viewer. (Type event viewer in the start menu, and read the errors that it produces)

    This was the start to the answer. At least here there is an error log that you can review and hopefully gain a clue as to the source.

    This error log is frustrating because it lists every warning and error that is produced, and often they are not very descriptive. (more on this later.

    Finally one night I came home from work, and my house was cool, and I had to turn up the furnace. But before my house heated up, my computer was running great. No reboot. Once the house gained a certain temperature, the system shutdown started again.

    Clearly I was hunting for a temperature issue, but all fans seemed to be working normally. I downloaded a program that monitors the temperature of the CPU. Everything was normal.

    I was pretty bummed out because I thought I was on the right track.

    I went back to the Event Viewer to keep looking, and that's when I found one error right in the middle of 20 or 30 other ones. It was the first time I had ever seen this one. 'System has restarted unexpectedly due to an overheated graphics card.'

    So simple. Why had this error failed to appear before? I don't know.

    I have an ATI Crossover dual graphics card. It is two cards that run in tandem, hooked up with a crossover cable. I inspected the cards, and noticed one was VERY hot. It actually had to wait for it to cool down before I could remove it. I plugged my two monitors into the other card that was not running hot, and everything is bliss now.

    The moral of the story is that if your computer is turning off without warning, it is almost certainly not the OS, or a software related issue. Even if there is a faulty driver, it will usually produce an error, and will almost always make the machine reboot.

    When there is a heat related issue, the system turns itself off as a protective measure against fire. This makes a lot of sense.

    Anyhow, I hope this post helped somebody fix their issue. I have spent a week trying everything I've read on this board to fix the problem, and I guess it paid off.

    Thanks.



    Try to upgrade your os to win8. If this will not resolved than I will suggest you other options
  17. unknown101 said:
    Jenlou said:
    Had random shut downs replaced everything including os turned out to be keyboard. Now I have two computers lol.


    Hey! It's been so long since I started this thread. Anyway it turned out it was my keyboard too. It was an old PS/2 one, and when I found out I replaced. :D
    xD

    What do you mean "your keyboard"? xD
  18. My computer turned off automatically when a microwave turned on, is it possible that my PSU was damaged by this? all led lights on my mobo is on!
    i let it off for several hours, then i turn it on runs fine for several minutes lets say about 30mins. then shuts down, turned on immediately then shuts down immediately. like a battery when i turn it off for a long time, it runs for a long time then shuts off. At bios it also shuts down! need some help with this one. i aint buying new PSU unless i have no choice. my unit is 1 year old.

    CPU i7 4790k
    Asus ROG hero 7
    GPU GTX 760 dcu ii
    PSU coolermaster v750 W
    SSD samsung 840evo
    HHD 2TB
    Windows 7
  19. unknown101 said:
    My PC keeps shutting down randomly
    When it shuts down it doesn't just shut down like the power has been unplugged, it turns off as though i have pressed shut down
    Specs:
    AMD Athlon II 640
    4gb RAM (2x2gb)
    ATI Radeon HD 4830 512mb
    powered by
    Corsair CX430 (modular)


    It has worked fine for 5 months. I haven't done any overclocking.
    Thanks in advance



    I've had the same issue for about 15 minutes. It doesn't always have to be a let's replace the power supply that causes this nonsense. I found my simple solution by just going into the control panel and selecting power options. If you methodically check every single check/non-checked item? It can be as simple as making sure your HD doesn't power down in 2 minutes like mine said. I sure didn't set it at that number. So there's something else at work here. It did solve my issue though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Components