Is this 2133 ripjaw really too much for a non OC'd cpu?

lyphe

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
The system I built two weeks ago started acting weird a few days ago, culminating today in it shutting down and staying down. After a LOT of trouble-shooting and a conversation with the EVGA guys, here is what I was told:

The 16g of F3-2133 Ripjaws that I have is too much for my stock 3820. To use that ram, my cpu should really be oc'd.

I swapped out the ripjaws for some old Samsung ram I had lying around and everything is working again ... so it would "appear" to be the issue ... but I thought I'd check in with the crew here to see if you guys concur. Does that comment sound correct?

Also, if I do want to add better ram to my stock 3820 ... what is the best I can add without running into this issue again?

My system is a stock 3820 on an evga x79sli mobo.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Should have added, if you look at your mobo specs, where it lists DRAM options, anything (normally starting at 1866, with a '(OC)' beside it means that a CPU OC is required, most people think it means you have to OC the DRAM which is incorrect.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Should have added, if you look at your mobo specs, where it lists DRAM options, anything (normally starting at 1866, with a '(OC)' beside it means that a CPU OC is required, most people think it means you have to OC the DRAM which is incorrect.

Solution