1600 MHz CL9 vs 2133 MHz CL11. Which ram sticks would be best?

clonic96

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Which ram sticks would be best?

Crucial 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Ballistix (2x8) CL9
Corsair 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Vengeance (2x8) CL9
Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-2133 DC 16GB (2x8) CL11
also how much will a big heat spreader overclock?
Gonna be using for gaming and 3D graphics

Solution
Alright, then you should go with the least expensive option.
There will be no noticeable performance difference, outside of synthetic benchmarks, with any of these RAM kits.

I would not worry to much about the heat spreader, they are mainly cosmetic additions.
As you will be overclocking the processor by changing the multiplier, your RAM only ever needs to run at the rated speed anyways.
That really depends, what system will this RAM be going in?
Please clarify the specific build you will be parring your new RAM with.

If you are not using an IGP (onboard graphics) there will be virtually no difference in performance between any of these kits.
In this situation, simply purchase whichever kit costs the least; probably the 1600MHz kit.

If however you are using an IGP and plan to use it for gaming, the faster the RAM speed the better.
Then you should get the 2133MHz kit, assuming the price is still reasonable.

clonic96

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

It's going with a MSI 670, Asus P8-Z77 LK and a 3770k..

What about the heat spreader?

Alright, then you should go with the least expensive option.
There will be no noticeable performance difference, outside of synthetic benchmarks, with any of these RAM kits.

I would not worry to much about the heat spreader, they are mainly cosmetic additions.
As you will be overclocking the processor by changing the multiplier, your RAM only ever needs to run at the rated speed anyways.

Solution

clonic96

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Thanks bro!

Probably you will never feel the difference between a system using C9 RAM vs an identical system using C10 RAM.

CAS Latency describes how many clock cycles it takes from requesting information from RAM to returning information.
Generally speaking, the lower the CAS latency the better.
In real world usage however, there is virtually no performance difference.

If you have two identically priced kits with differing CAS ratings get the lowest rated of the two.
Otherwise, do not worry much about it, performance gains are virtually nonexistent.

clonic96

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

okay thanks.. I have, but the CL9 one don't have XMP.. I should go with the XMP kit, right?

Not necessarily.

An XMP and a non-XMP kit of identical specifications both will run at the same speeds.
The only difference is that the XMP kit is much more likely to automatically run at its highest rated specifications without having to manually configure any settings in the BIOS.

Usually though it is a good idea to at least check BIOS settings with either type of kit; at which point it is quit easy to manually set the correct speed/timings/voltage anyways.

clonic96

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

okay