Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GeForce GTX 550Ti still good?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 24, 2013 8:43:59 AM

I had bought a EVGA GTX 550ti 2GB 'Superclocked' in Dec 2012, however I'm new to Custom bulding PC and so I didn't realise I had the wrong parts in the PC at that time.
Now I ordered the right parts and I have the graphics card

Is it worth it I keep the one GTX 550ti 2GB or should I get another 550 ti to get double up on it enabling 'double' the power.

I want a gaming Desktop to run games like battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 especially. Also, Starcraft 2 and minecraft. At nice graphics such as Ultra.

The current set up I order:
Motherboard: 2x PCI express 3.0, 1xPCI 2.0, 4x 240 pin DDR3 memory slots
Intel i7 3rd gen
8GB of RAM (gonna upgrade to 16 or 24GB)
Etc.

More about : geforce gtx 550ti good

June 24, 2013 8:49:41 AM

It is good if you're happy to play on low settings, but you mention wanting to play at ultra, so you should really get a GTX650 Ti Boost at the very least. That will handle Battlefield 3 at ultra, though it's not quite enough for Crysis 3 or Metro at ultra. I wouldn't recommend SLI - you'll get far better results (interms of consistent, reliable performance) from a single powerful GPU.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 8:50:40 AM

ganjamaican said:
I had bought a EVGA GTX 550ti 2GB 'Superclocked' in Dec 2012, however I'm new to Custom bulding PC and so I didn't realise I had the wrong parts in the PC at that time.
Now I ordered the right parts and I have the graphics card

Is it worth it I keep the one GTX 550ti 2GB or should I get another 550 ti to get double up on it enabling 'double' the power.

I want a gaming Desktop to run games like battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 especially. Also, Starcraft 2 and minecraft. At nice graphics such as Ultra.



The current set up I order:
Motherboard: 2x PCI express 3.0, 1xPCI 2.0, 4x 240 pin DDR3 memory slots
Intel i7 3rd gen
8GB of RAM (gonna upgrade to 16 or 24GB)
Etc.



seriously forget about the 550ti and or SLI'ing another. They are entry level and although decent enough in SLI are no match for the Nvidia 600/700 series. With your CPU, and setup, I would be looking at a gtx660 and above. If you can wait for the 760/ti to come out then that would be a good bet.

SLI'ing the 550ti is not a good idea, as that setup suffers from microstuttering.

The general rule is to buy the best single card you can afford, and therefore negate any driver/sli issues with two midrange cards.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 24, 2013 8:55:27 AM

keith12 said:
ganjamaican said:
I had bought a EVGA GTX 550ti 2GB 'Superclocked' in Dec 2012, however I'm new to Custom bulding PC and so I didn't realise I had the wrong parts in the PC at that time.
Now I ordered the right parts and I have the graphics card

Is it worth it I keep the one GTX 550ti 2GB or should I get another 550 ti to get double up on it enabling 'double' the power.

I want a gaming Desktop to run games like battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 especially. Also, Starcraft 2 and minecraft. At nice graphics such as Ultra.



The current set up I order:
Motherboard: 2x PCI express 3.0, 1xPCI 2.0, 4x 240 pin DDR3 memory slots
Intel i7 3rd gen
8GB of RAM (gonna upgrade to 16 or 24GB)
Etc.



seriously forget about the 550ti and or SLI'ing another. They are entry level and although decent enough in SLI are no match for the Nvidia 600/700 series. With your CPU, and setup, I would be looking at a gtx660 and above. If you can wait for the 760/ti to come out then that would be a good bet.

SLI'ing the 550ti is not a good idea, as that setup suffers from microstuttering.

The general rule is to buy the best single card you can afford, and therefore negate any driver/sli issues with two midrange cards.



So I should sell my GTX 550ti now. I heard the GTX 500 series are the best when it comes to SLI speeds.
My last set up was a:
GeForce GT210 lool with 3GB of DDR2 RAM and it ran BF3 on Low pretty decent. That being a 2009 card imagine a 2011 card.
Especially since maybe I'm going to double up
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 8:55:36 AM

650ti boost will barely do crisis 3 on high not ultra. But anyways do try to get a different gpu as the 550ti is weak (about a 640 if I'm right) and sli (two gpus) just wouldn't be worth it Imo. Go for a 660 at least. What's your budget? That's what matters most.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 8:58:00 AM

Read my post again - I said it won't handle Crysis 3 at ultra. And GTX550 Ti is actually comparable to the GTX650.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:03:19 AM

thdarkshadow said:
650ti boost will barely do crisis 3 on high not ultra. But anyways do try to get a different gpu as the 550ti is weak (about a 640 if I'm right) and sli (two gpus) just wouldn't be worth it Imo. Go for a 660 at least. What's your budget? That's what matters most.


Well really I just want to upgrade later this year, because the parts I already ordered took me up 500$ , was just hoping the GTX 550ti is sufficient.
I want to be upgrading Graphics Cards every 2 years. And was waiting for the GTX 760
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:11:28 AM

sam_p_lay said:
It is good if you're happy to play on low settings, but you mention wanting to play at ultra, so you should really get a GTX650 Ti Boost at the very least. That will handle Battlefield 3 at ultra, though it's not quite enough for Crysis 3 or Metro at ultra. I wouldn't recommend SLI - you'll get far better results (interms of consistent, reliable performance) from a single powerful GPU.


Can't I like double up for now so I can get the performance boost. I will upgrade in the GTX 700/800 series maybe next year buy not now, funds are low. You seem to know a lot please help.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:16:26 AM

ganjamaican said:
sam_p_lay said:
It is good if you're happy to play on low settings, but you mention wanting to play at ultra, so you should really get a GTX650 Ti Boost at the very least. That will handle Battlefield 3 at ultra, though it's not quite enough for Crysis 3 or Metro at ultra. I wouldn't recommend SLI - you'll get far better results (interms of consistent, reliable performance) from a single powerful GPU.


Can't I like double up for now so I can get the performance boost. I will upgrade in the GTX 700/800 series maybe next year buy not now, funds are low. You seem to know a lot please help.


you can double up, but you won't get the performance your looking for. The guys here know their stuff, and when it comes to SLI'ing two midrange cards, they will all (those who actually know) tell you to avoid it. If you simply save the money from buying a new 550ti, put it towards a new GTX660/ti, 760/ti you will have what you want. Don't waste your money on the 550ti


m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:18:42 AM

keith12 said:
ganjamaican said:
sam_p_lay said:
It is good if you're happy to play on low settings, but you mention wanting to play at ultra, so you should really get a GTX650 Ti Boost at the very least. That will handle Battlefield 3 at ultra, though it's not quite enough for Crysis 3 or Metro at ultra. I wouldn't recommend SLI - you'll get far better results (interms of consistent, reliable performance) from a single powerful GPU.


Can't I like double up for now so I can get the performance boost. I will upgrade in the GTX 700/800 series maybe next year buy not now, funds are low. You seem to know a lot please help.


you can double up, but you won't get the performance your looking for. The guys here know their stuff, and when it comes to SLI'ing two midrange cards, they will all (those who actually know) tell you to avoid it. If you simply save the money from buying a new 550ti, put it towards a new GTX660/ti, 760/ti you will have what you want. Don't waste your money on the 550ti




Thank you so much you answered the question.
Wish I can get a high performance card and bundle it with a mid range card, if thats possible?
Will it give me the Blue Screen of death?
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:28:03 AM

It's gonna cost you $100 to pick up another 550Ti, and you are not going to get the performance that you desire. If you can sell off your current 550 and take the money from that and maybe another $100-150 bucks you can pick up something like the AMD Radeon HD 7850 or 7870 and be pretty close to where you want to be. Or on the nVidia side you could pick up something like the 660, which someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong but runs the same price as a 7870 GHz Edition but the AMD card has a little better performance if you don't mind a little bit of fan noise (don't let anyone make it seem that bad, AMD gets a bad rap for noisey cards, but I have a 7950 and even at full load it's quieter than the AC in my house.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:36:27 AM

Derek Adamson said:
It's gonna cost you $100 to pick up another 550Ti, and you are not going to get the performance that you desire. If you can sell off your current 550 and take the money from that and maybe another $100-150 bucks you can pick up something like the AMD Radeon HD 7850 or 7870 and be pretty close to where you want to be. Or on the nVidia side you could pick up something like the 660, which someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong but runs the same price as a 7870 GHz Edition but the AMD card has a little better performance if you don't mind a little bit of fan noise (don't let anyone make it seem that bad, AMD gets a bad rap for noisey cards, but I have a 7950 and even at full load it's quieter than the AC in my house.


I'm getting an 'Enthusiast' Computer. Me having BAd Experiences with AMD and it burning up last year causing me to downgrade to the GT 210 will never be bought by me again until they fix their problems.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:41:26 AM

The thing is that I'm just wondering the EVGA GTX 550ti ,ONLY ONE, can run Battlefield 4 at Medium or even high if I'm lucky?
I'm not upgrading until next year. to maybe a even way more powerful card such as the GTX 770 or even the GeForce 660ti .
I love good performance, especially with the i7 3rd Gen processor
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 9:41:56 AM

ganjamaican said:
Derek Adamson said:
It's gonna cost you $100 to pick up another 550Ti, and you are not going to get the performance that you desire. If you can sell off your current 550 and take the money from that and maybe another $100-150 bucks you can pick up something like the AMD Radeon HD 7850 or 7870 and be pretty close to where you want to be. Or on the nVidia side you could pick up something like the 660, which someone will probably correct me if I'm wrong but runs the same price as a 7870 GHz Edition but the AMD card has a little better performance if you don't mind a little bit of fan noise (don't let anyone make it seem that bad, AMD gets a bad rap for noisey cards, but I have a 7950 and even at full load it's quieter than the AC in my house.


I'm getting an 'Enthusiast' Computer. Me having BAd Experiences with AMD and it burning up last year causing me to downgrade to the GT 210 will never be bought by me again until they fix their problems.


Well a 7870 GHz Edition would be an "Enthusiast" class card, but if you've had a bad experience in the past with hem and don't want to use them anymore then by all means pick up an nVidia card. A GTX 660 is in the same price range that I described and will give you goo performance also.
m
0
l

Best solution

June 24, 2013 9:45:10 AM

ganjamaican said:
The thing is that I'm just wondering the EVGA GTX 550ti ,ONLY ONE, can run Battlefield 4 at Medium or even high if I'm lucky?
I'm not upgrading until next year. to maybe a even way more powerful card such as the GTX 770 or even the GeForce 660ti .
I love good performance, especially with the i7 3rd Gen processor


The 550Ti will at best run BF3 or BF4 on low/medium settings. It is not going to run at medium/high settings in any situation unless your running your game at super low resolutions. If you want medium to high performance, you need to sell off your card and at the very least move up to either a Radeon HD 7850 or a GTX 660.
Share
!