Potential Bottleneck on an E8500?

I currently have an e8500 Core 2 Duo and am looking to upgrade my 9800gt to a 660 (non ti). I'm sure ill see a performance increase but was wondering if there would be a significant bottleneck. I really dont have the money to but a new Mobo, Cpu etc and just wondered if it would even be worth paying for a 660. Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about potential bottleneck e8500
  1. Well, according to what I now and what I've read, there could be a bit of a bottleneck with that CPU. It shouldn't be that bad, but it won't work at it's fullest. What you could do if you have a good enough CPU cooler is that you could overclock your CPU. So what you could do is overclock it, get the video card then maybe save up for other better parts or just keep it like that. But I'm not gonna totally go for overclocking, as it could 'cause problems, so it's your choice. Hope this helps.
  2. Sizable bottleneck. Biggest I would go is the GTX650 ti Boost, and even there the bottleneck would be sizable but less of a hit to the wallet.
  3. What games do you play, what resolution? Do you overclock or run stock 3.16 GHz?

    You may want to check this out: (E8400 stock / 4.0 GHz / 4.5 GHz) in newer games:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487.html
  4. pauldh said:
    What games do you play, what resolution? Do you overclock or run stock 3.16 GHz?

    You may want to check this out: (E8400 stock / 4.0 GHz / 4.5 GHz) in newer games:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487.html


    I play @ 1024x768 on a samsung HD not a computing monitor (32 inch) and play most new releases, Battlefield, Farcry, Bioshock etc. Relatively intense games.

    Yes it is running stock. W
  5. Get gtx 650ti or hd 7770.it is enough for your resolution
  6. Yeah, like those above, I probably wouldn't go beyond GTX 650 Ti or 650 Ti Boost ($130/$150 in USA) unless you overclock your Wolfdale. At that resolution I think you'd very rarely get higher frame rates stepping from the 650 Ti Boost to a $200 GTX 660.

    In Far Cry 3 for example, your CPU can't quite handle Ultra details at any resolution, so you'll need to drop to High or Very High to relieve CPU demands. And at 10x7, the 650 Ti Boost is more than enough at those detail levels. The difference would likely come down to potential small bumps in Anti Aliasing settings, from 2x MSAA to 4 x MSAA for example.
  7. pauldh said:
    Yeah, like those above, I probably wouldn't go beyond GTX 650 Ti or 650 Ti Boost ($130/$150 in USA) unless you overclock your Wolfdale. At that resolution I think you'd very rarely get higher frame rates stepping from the 650 Ti Boost to a $200 GTX 660.

    In Far Cry 3 for example, your CPU can't quite handle Ultra details at any resolution, so you'll need to drop to High or Very High to relieve CPU demands. And at 10x7, the 650 Ti Boost is more than enough at those detail levels. The difference would likely come down to potential small bumps in Anti Aliasing settings, from 2x MSAA to 4 x MSAA for example.


    Hi Paul.
    Wasn't aware you were active in the forums! Then again have not seen an article from you in some time... :)
  8. Novuake said:

    Hi Paul.
    Wasn't aware you were active in the forums! Then again have not seen an article from you in some time... :)


    Hiya! (waves)

    I've rarely shown up on the forums these past few years, only in brief spurts when time allows and something catches my eye on the front page. I wish I had the time to be a regular and just chat hardware like the old days.

    My schedule is packed right now, something is always on the bench. I've had 3 recent stories: Last week's $650 SBM Gaming PC, a $400 mini-ITX SBM story that comes out in 2 days, plus the more time consuming "Is This Even Fair: Budget Ivy Bridge Takes On Core 2 DUo and Quad" story last month:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487.html

    Currently working on an all-AMD follow-up to that story.
  9. pauldh said:
    Novuake said:

    Hi Paul.
    Wasn't aware you were active in the forums! Then again have not seen an article from you in some time... :)


    Hiya! (waves)

    I've rarely shown up on the forums these past few years, only in brief spurts when time allows and something catches my eye on the front page. I wish I had the time to be a regular and just chat hardware like the old days.

    My schedule is packed right now, something is always on the bench. I've had 3 recent stories: Last week's $650 SBM Gaming PC, a $400 mini-ITX SBM story that comes out in 2 days, plus the more time consuming "Is This Even Fair: Budget Ivy Bridge Takes On Core 2 DUo and Quad" story last month:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-wolfdale-yorkfield-comparison,3487.html

    Currently working on an all-AMD follow-up to that story.




    Ah! Did not see your name on those, I neglect to notice the writer sometime, but you each have your styles, guess I did not recognize it this time around! Anyway before we hijack this thread! Hope to see you around more and look forward to the AMD comparison!
    Lets hope you can clear up the whole what does the dual module single "core" mean from a performance perspective. Should be clear in a direct comparison with the Phenoms to Bulldozer.
  10. Novuake said:

    Ah! Did not see your name on those, I neglect to notice the writer sometime, but you each have your styles, guess I did not recognize it this time around! Anyway before we hijack this thread! Hope to see you around more and look forward to the AMD comparison!
    Lets hope you can clear up the whole what does the dual module single "core" mean from a performance perspective. Should be clear in a direct comparison with the Phenoms to Bulldozer.


    haha, well any time the first page is super long (wordy) check the author as it may be me. :lol:

    Yeah, the selected batch of AMD chips stock/overclocked will contrast those architectures for sure. Main difference with this story is every AMD chip I picked is still available and a good buy today.
  11. pauldh said:

    haha, well any time the first page is super long (wordy) check the author as it may be me. :lol:

    Yeah, the selected batch of AMD chips stock/overclocked will contrast those architectures for sure. Main difference with this story is every AMD chip I picked is still available and a good buy today.


    With a hijack looming, I will just say, AWESOME! :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Performance Bottleneck CPUs Core