Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB keyboard wont work with one computer, but will on another

Last response: in Components
Share
June 24, 2013 10:03:25 PM

so my USB G15 keyboard stopped working on my main computer, but when I plug it in to any other computer it works just fine. all of the USB ports still work on the computer for everything else and I have never had this problem before. any ideas?
June 25, 2013 12:59:33 AM

There a bios or driver bug. Check to see if the mb vendor drop any bios patches. The other issue could be to many devices on the USB port when the pc powers on. Older mb and apple products used not post if connected at post.
m
0
l
June 25, 2013 9:15:02 AM

smorizio said:
There a bios or driver bug. Check to see if the mb vendor drop any bios patches. The other issue could be to many devices on the USB port when the pc powers on. Older mb and apple products used not post if connected at post.


The system is acting funny as of writing this, Keyboard unplugged, it wouldn't post for the first time in years. After a restart it booted fine, but every once in a while the mouse will freeze for a couple seconds. Is it time for a MB replacement?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 25, 2013 11:46:55 AM

No post and micro stalls sound like a bad hard drive. Run hd tune and vEndors long test.
m
0
l
June 25, 2013 12:14:57 PM

smorizio said:
No post and micro stalls sound like a bad hard drive. Run hd tune and vEndors long test.


unplugged everything but mouse and keyboard and now it works. but i will run those tests anyway. I'm kinda hoping for bad MB so i can just upgrade the thing.
m
0
l
June 25, 2013 10:23:33 PM

so i have 5 hard drives, but i tested the main SSD and its fine. computer still running fine with just the mouse and keyboard plugged in. so im thinking its the Mother board. any thoughts? also i should have posted this earlier, but its a intel dx58so MB with an I7 920 cpu, 6gb of ram, 2x gtx 680 on with a 1200 watt PSU so there shouldnt be any power problems.
m
0
l
June 25, 2013 10:41:43 PM

Any bad USB cable or device can hanga new mb. Most times it to many unpowered devices plugged in.
m
0
l
June 25, 2013 10:49:39 PM

smorizio said:
Any bad USB cable or device can hanga new mb. Most times it to many unpowered devices plugged in.


the MB is an X58. its like 4 years old, thats why im so hung up on it. and only the usb keyboard is not functioning when plugged in with everything else, but still works when plugged in just by itself with a mouse. So im pretty sure it has something to do with the power the MB is reciving, thus a MB problem. just wanted a smarty from Toms like you to support my conclusion.
m
0
l
!