Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please help me with a $1200 PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 24, 2013 10:08:15 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: tomorrow

Budget Range: ~$1200 After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: video editing, photo editing, web browsing,

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Newegg

Location: NYC

Parts Preferences: i7-4770k + Z87x-UD3h combo deal @ newegg, 32gb RAM

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Sometime in the future


Additional Comments: please include a sleek case that doesn't have LEDs etc (I was looking @ the shinobi from BitFenix)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: this build is for my friend and his 13" MBP just ain't cuttin' it!

This is what I've come up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/19XTq

Please keep prices in the $12XX range!

More about : 1200

a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2013 10:31:42 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($141.01 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($17.60 @ Newegg)
Other: Fans ($40.00)
Total: $1187.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-25 01:31 EDT-0400)
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2013 10:42:19 PM

I'd suggest this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($186.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1231.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-25 01:41 EDT-0400)

( The Shinobi picked is the Black, plain version. Partpicker used the wrong thumbnail ).
Share
Related resources
June 24, 2013 10:46:31 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($141.01 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($17.60 @ Newegg)
Other: Fans ($40.00)
Total: $1187.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-25 01:31 EDT-0400)


Madn3ss795 said:
I'd suggest this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($186.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1231.04
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-25 01:41 EDT-0400)

( The Shinobi picked is the Black, plain version. Partpicker used the wrong thumbnail ).


I think I'll do just that! Do you think it will be ok to use the Viper RAM because it is on sale for $102? Or is more expensive vengeance LP better...
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 10:48:44 PM

Also is a slightly more expensive 840 pro a better option because I'm a bit worried about the 840's 130mb/s write speed...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2013 10:54:36 PM

2 2*8gb kit might not work well with each other, so I'd suggest a 4*8gb kit instead.

Anyway I just dig out some review about that Phantek cooler. It doesn't block any RAM slot on an ATX board so lets change the RAM kit to G.SKill RipjawX 4*8gb instead, save you 10$ while bring a bit higher performance due to lower lantency:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($186.13 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($229.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1220.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-25 01:54 EDT-0400)

Quote:
Also is a slightly more expensive 840 pro a better option because I'm a bit worried about the 840's 130mb/s write speed...


That seems to be a good option.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 10:59:54 PM

Thank you once again!

Just an unrelated question but for a different build I was planning on using 2x 16gb corsair vengeance kits. Would this be acceptable or should I get one 32gb kit (which for some reason costs more money!)
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2013 11:03:46 PM

Well fully compatible comes at a price. IMO when you can spend few hundred bucks for that huge amount of ram, a few dozen dollars more to make sure that they're trouble-free during use wouldn't hurt anyone.
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 11:07:58 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Well fully compatible comes at a price. IMO when you can spend few hundred bucks for that huge amount of ram, a few dozen dollars more to make sure that they're trouble-free during use wouldn't hurt anyone.


Ok thanks SOOO much for all the help you've provided me with! Idk where you are located but here in NY it's 2am so I'm heading off to bed now - thanks again!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2013 11:12:11 PM

I'm from Vietnam and it's 1PM here :lol: 
m
0
l
June 24, 2013 11:13:26 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
I'm from Vietnam and it's 1PM here :lol: 


Oh nice well have a good afternoon :) 
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 24, 2013 11:13:52 PM

Thanks :) 
m
0
l
!