Solved

Just got my 840 Pro, Questions about Installation

So I just received my 256GB 840 Pro in the mail (took long enough...but hey, free shipping! :D )and have a few questions to ask before puttin' that sucka in my PC.

(1) Is it easier to try and move my Windows installation over to my SSD, or would a fresh install be easier/quicker (despite the time it would take to re-download Service Pack 1 and all the updates)?

(2) What's a "safe" maximum amount of data to put on the SSD? I know filling it up all the way would be a less favorable than say 75%, but what's the most I can put on there with decent longevity?

(3) Any other pointers I should know before I start? Thanks! :D

Edit: I do have this sticky up.

Edit 2: I have an ASRock Extreme4, is that already set up in AHCI mode or whatever it's called?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 840 pro questions installation
  1. Best answer
    1. Fresh install is the best. Moving may be 'easier', but an extra hour spent getting it right will reap benefits later on.

2. 80% or so.

3. For Windows 8: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
    For Windows 7: http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
  2. USAFRet said:
    1. Fresh install is the best. Moving may be 'easier', but an extra hour spent getting it right will reap benefits later on.
    Awesomeness! :D

USAFRet said:
    2. 80% or so.
    Sounds good, thanks! :)

USAFRet said:
    Using Windows 7, this guide should come in handy!

I'll post the results of what ends up happening soonish. Hopefully my SSD is not DoA and is of excellent quality! :D

P.S. In case you couldn't tell, I'm very enthusiastic about all of this! :D
  3. Is it OK to shift SATA cables around while in the BIOS?
  4. SlitWeaver said:
    Is it OK to shift SATA cables around while in the BIOS?

With power on? I wouldn't.
    Some boards support that, but just on principle, I wouldn't, no matter what it said.
  5. Alright, sounds good.
  6. How can I set everything up so that the majority of my files are installed and accessed from my HDD while a select 'few' programs are actually on my SSD?
  7. SlitWeaver said:
    How can I set everything up so that the majority of my files are installed and accessed from my HDD while a select 'few' programs are actually on my SSD?

As you install applications, choose Custom or Advanced. Then you can choose where each one goes.

However, for a 256GB drive, you should have zero space problems with applications.
    I have a 128 as my boot drive, and everything except Steam, MS Office, and the virtual machine drives installed on it. Win 8 Pro + Media Center, Lightroom, and older version of Photoshop, PaintShopPro, LibreOffice, a zillion utilities.
    Current use is ~65GB.

Applications outside of games don't really use that much space. Install games elsewhere, and you'll be fine.
    And of course music/movies/images elsewhere.
  8. Set your browser(s) download folder to be elsewhere
    Set a couple of top level folders on your HDD - Applications, Docs, Music

When you install an application, choose the Applications folder to be the top level guy for that
    Create a new file? It goes in HDD/Docs
    Set your music player to look at the HDD/Music folder
  9. You can also identify new locations in Documents or Libraries.
  10. Alright, all good info. I'll probably shove a couple of my games onto my SSD, but I don't think I'll shove all 180GB of them on there :P Thanks again for all your help! :D
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage