Just got my 840 Pro, Questions about Installation

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
So I just received my 256GB 840 Pro in the mail (took long enough...but hey, free shipping! :D )and have a few questions to ask before puttin' that sucka in my PC.

(1) Is it easier to try and move my Windows installation over to my SSD, or would a fresh install be easier/quicker (despite the time it would take to re-download Service Pack 1 and all the updates)?

(2) What's a "safe" maximum amount of data to put on the SSD? I know filling it up all the way would be a less favorable than say 75%, but what's the most I can put on there with decent longevity?

(3) Any other pointers I should know before I start? Thanks! :D

Edit: I do have this sticky up.

Edit 2: I have an ASRock Extreme4, is that already set up in AHCI mode or whatever it's called?

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Awesomeness! :D

Sounds good, thanks! :)

Using Windows 7, this guide should come in handy!

I'll post the results of what ends up happening soonish. Hopefully my SSD is not DoA and is of excellent quality! :D

P.S. In case you couldn't tell, I'm very enthusiastic about all of this! :D

USAFRet

Titan

As you install applications, choose Custom or Advanced. Then you can choose where each one goes.

However, for a 256GB drive, you should have zero space problems with applications.
I have a 128 as my boot drive, and everything except Steam, MS Office, and the virtual machine drives installed on it. Win 8 Pro + Media Center, Lightroom, and older version of Photoshop, PaintShopPro, LibreOffice, a zillion utilities.
Current use is ~65GB.

Applications outside of games don't really use that much space. Install games elsewhere, and you'll be fine.
And of course music/movies/images elsewhere.

USAFRet

Titan
Set your browser(s) download folder to be elsewhere
Set a couple of top level folders on your HDD - Applications, Docs, Music

When you install an application, choose the Applications folder to be the top level guy for that
Create a new file? It goes in HDD/Docs
Set your music player to look at the HDD/Music folder