Sign in with
Your question
Solved

7970 V. 770: There's more to it

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 25, 2013 9:53:15 PM

I know that, in the near future, I will be buying a graphics card; preferably a 2GB, ~$400, one. Mainly, the AMD 7970 or the Nvidia GTX 770.
However, I'm at a bit of a fork in the road over which one to buy.
Here is said fork:

The 7970 is around $400 dollars; so is the Nvidia GTX 770. Spec wise the 770 is superior in almost every way (let me clarify that I will be using either for gaming). The only thing that stops me from getting the 770 is that, on Newegg, the 7970 comes with the offer of 4 free games. I consider this to outweigh the performance increase that the 770 offers over it.
That being said, if I wait till around October or November to come around I'm sure that the 770 will be offered with a bundle of the new games (Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Metro:Last Light, etc.)
So, in conclusion, should I get the 7970 and its included games (Tomb Raider, FC3: Blood Dragon, Bioshock Infinite, and Crysis 3) now,
or
should I get the 770 (along with its performance increase) and the potential games it's bundled with come Autumn/Fall/Q3?
Thanks for any help .

More about : 7970 770

June 25, 2013 9:55:02 PM

Buy a gpu because it performs well in the games you play and not because you get free games with it.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2013 10:09:04 PM

Go with what you can right now. Don't play the waiting game. By September, there will be a lot of rumors about the release of the new ATI GPU series. So you'll wait again, then the Ti's will come out after those). Then so on...
m
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2013 10:11:08 PM

Nobledontcare said:
I know that, in the near future, I will be buying a graphics card; preferably a 2GB, ~$400, one. Mainly, the AMD 7970 or the Nvidia GTX 770.
Here is said fork:

The 7970 is around $400 dollars; so is the Nvidia GTX 770. Spec wise the 770 is superior in almost every way (let me clarify that I will be using either for gaming). The only thing that stops me from getting the 770 is that, on Newegg, the 7970 comes with the offer of 4 free games. I consider this to outweigh the performance increase that the 770 offers over it.
That being said, if I wait till around October or November to come around I'm sure that the 770 will be offered with a bundle of the new games (Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Metro:Last Light, etc.)
So, in conclusion, should I get the 7970 and its included games (Tomb Raider, FC3: Blood Dragon, Bioshock Infinite, and Crysis 3) now,
or
should I get the 770 (along with its performance increase) and the potential games it's bundled with come Autumn/Fall/Q3?
Thanks for any help .

nvidia typically does not do bundles like that. Anyway, bf4 is an AMD partnered game.
m
l
June 25, 2013 10:12:28 PM

expl0itfinder said:
Nobledontcare said:
Here is said fork:

or
Thanks for any help .

nvidia typically does not do bundles like that. Anyway, bf4 is an AMD partnered game.

Nvidia sells a crapton of gpus the way it is and doesn't feel the need to give away free games
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b À AMD
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2013 10:13:26 PM

Precisely.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b Î Nvidia
a b À AMD
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2013 10:44:35 PM

nVidia bundles virtual money, meaning you're forced to play those online games to make use of the coupon you got. Because of that it'll benefit nvidia ( who got tons of cash from contracts with game publishers ) more than their customers. As for AMD users, they can choose to do whatever they want with the coupon.
June 25, 2013 10:53:46 PM

Thanks to all of you for contributing; its really helped with my decision. I'd rather not blindly hope that Nvidia has a change of heart 3/4 of the way into the year, so I'll go with the 7970, be it GHz edition or no; plus, it has a choice selection of games accompanying it.
m
l
!