Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will these metal standoffs work for a motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 26, 2013 2:19:24 PM

I am a first-time builder and have realized I have no standoff screws (either threw them out or the case didn't come with any). I found these general purpose "metal standoffs" at RadioShack and was wondering if they were safe to use for a PC build.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2...

Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2013 2:23:32 PM

Those look like very thin. I think it would just go through the mobo. Only way to find out is to try them out. Or you can buy washers.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 26, 2013 2:33:38 PM

Have a word at your local small computer store, they've probably got those things in their thousands.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 201 V Motherboard
June 26, 2013 2:37:29 PM

For $2 you could try it...but I wouldn't. Just get some regular motherboard standoffs.

Not all standoffs are created equal. Just because it says 'standoff', does not mean it was meant for a PC motherboard.

Do you really want to risk mobo failure for saving $3?
m
0
l
June 26, 2013 6:34:18 PM

USAFRet said:
For $2 you could try it...but I wouldn't. Just get some regular motherboard standoffs.

Not all standoffs are created equal. Just because it says 'standoff', does not mean it was meant for a PC motherboard.

Do you really want to risk mobo failure for saving $3?


Does this look any better? Are you referring to the size or the conductivity?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 201 V Motherboard
June 26, 2013 6:41:26 PM

Jeff Demanche said:
USAFRet said:
For $2 you could try it...but I wouldn't. Just get some regular motherboard standoffs.

Not all standoffs are created equal. Just because it says 'standoff', does not mean it was meant for a PC motherboard.

Do you really want to risk mobo failure for saving $3?


Does this look any better? Are you referring to the size or the conductivity?


I'd have to see and hold them to actually know.
MB standoffs are pretty standard. Why go for something weird? And those are weird.

You're mot saving any money. And if you're shopping at the local RatShack...I can't imagine they don't have regular MB standoffs.
If you're ordering online...order the right ones.
Share
a c 201 V Motherboard
June 26, 2013 6:45:44 PM

Why are you going for these weird things from RatShack?

A particular look? Black paint works.
Cheap? You're saving, at most, a cup of coffee.

What are you trying to accomplish?
m
0
l
June 26, 2013 6:48:51 PM

USAFRet said:
Why are you going for these weird things from RatShack?

A particular look? Black paint works.
Cheap? You're saving, at most, a cup of coffee.

What are you trying to accomplish?


Couldn't find any MB specific ones on the RadioShack website and there aren't any computer parts stores near where I live. I'll try and see if there are any repair shops that have any lying around tomorrow.
m
0
l
a c 201 V Motherboard
June 26, 2013 6:57:23 PM

Jeff Demanche said:
USAFRet said:
Why are you going for these weird things from RatShack?

A particular look? Black paint works.
Cheap? You're saving, at most, a cup of coffee.

What are you trying to accomplish?


Couldn't find any MB specific ones on the RadioShack website and there aren't any computer parts stores near where I live. I'll try and see if there are any repair shops that have any lying around tomorrow.


Do you need these tomorrow?
If not, here
If yes, your local PC repair guy has a box of them.

RatShack is a mere shadow of what it used to be.
m
0
l
!