CPU overheating while playing games!

Hi there. I have an Intel Core i7 4770 CPU. I didn't overclock or did anything crazy with it. I am currently using the stock cooler. The cpu is 38-48 degrees when idle and 80-88 degrees while playing games like Battlefield 3. I use GTX 560 and the temperature of that is 60-70 degree. Why is the CPU temp so much higher than the GPU? I did apply thermal paste so that shouldn't be a problem. My computer will sometimes even shut itself down while having a long gaming session. How to fix the overheating issue?

CPU Specs:
Intel Core i7 4770k@3.5 gHz
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
ASUS GTX 560
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 RAM
Cooler Master GX 550W
Cooler Master K281
Western Digital Cavier Green 2TB
16 answers Last reply
More about cpu overheating playing games
  1. That CPU temp is way to high. It will burn out your CPU much much faster. I suggest taking off the stock cooler and at least reapply the thermal paste. But it seems a better cooler would be better. The hyper evo 212 is only about $30!
  2. borisleehk said:
    Hi there. I have an Intel Core i7 4770 CPU. I didn't overclock or did anything crazy with it. I am currently using the stock cooler. The cpu is 38-48 degrees when idle and 80-88 degrees while playing games like Battlefield 3. I use GTX 560 and the temperature of that is 60-70 degree. Why is the CPU temp so much higher than the GPU? I did apply thermal paste so that shouldn't be a problem. My computer will sometimes even shut itself down while having a long gaming session. How to fix the overheating issue?


    If your BIOS allows it, raise the CPU fan speed. If that is not an option, you need to buy a new CPU cooler. I recommend the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, or the Corsair Hydro series H50 liquid cooler. Good luck!
  3. I recommend the coolermaster hyper 212 evo. You said you applied thermal paste, the stock cpu cooler should come with a thermal pad already applied. Did you clean this away before adding more? If not I think your problem might be too much thermal paste, if there is too much is will not conduct the heat correctly and cause high temperatures.
  4. So you guys mean the stock cooler is inadequate for gaming purposes?
  5. Burden hit it with the thermal paste idea, alternatively you dont list any case fans, what other cooling arrangements are in your system?
  6. There are two fans in my case. One in the front, one in the back
  7. liquid cooling for like 60 bucks it will be much quieter
  8. If I want to reapply the thermal paste, should I scratch the old one off first?
  9. borisleehk said:
    If I want to reapply the thermal paste, should I scratch the old one off first?


    Clean it off from the processor and the heat sink with rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, or a cloth.
  10. burdenbound said:
    borisleehk said:
    If I want to reapply the thermal paste, should I scratch the old one off first?


    Clean it off from the processor and the heat sink with rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, or a cloth.

    What is the recommended temp for a cpu while gaming?
  11. borisleehk said:
    burdenbound said:
    borisleehk said:
    If I want to reapply the thermal paste, should I scratch the old one off first?


    Clean it off from the processor and the heat sink with rubbing alcohol and cotton balls, or a cloth.

    What is the recommended temp for a cpu while gaming?


    With the stock cooler...If your under 75 degrees you should be safe. I always recommend an after market cooler because they work better and are quieter.
  12. You know what? Go for Thermalright Silver Arrow, its cheap, plus is comparable to H100i
  13. 75 is still very high. I would want to see under 70. With my hyper evo I get about 45 under load. It's my GPU that gets hot around 80c but GPUs are meant to get much hotter.
  14. frillybob101 said:
    75 is still very high. I would want to see under 70. With my hyper evo I get about 45 under load. It's my GPU that gets hot around 80c but GPUs are meant to get much hotter.


    I just read some review of 4770k on the internet and I found out that the temperature should be much higher than the Ivy bridge CPUs. Is it fine to have the CPU to go over 80 degrees?
  15. borisleehk said:
    frillybob101 said:
    75 is still very high. I would want to see under 70. With my hyper evo I get about 45 under load. It's my GPU that gets hot around 80c but GPUs are meant to get much hotter.


    I just read some review of 4770k on the internet and I found out that the temperature should be much higher than the Ivy bridge CPUs. Is it fine to have the CPU to go over 80 degrees?


    inadvisable.... at most haswell is 20 degrees hotter, I'd still expect it to be below 70
  16. You should clean out the thermal paste on the CPU and on the cooler with isopropyl alcohol, not rubbing alcohol (96% ethanol), then you should re-apply the thermal paste (too much thermal paste is sometimes also a problem, there are videos on youtube on how to get the right amount) and reseat the stock cooler (the one that came with the CPU), at last you should check the pins on the CPU fan header and make sure none of them are damaged.

    In order to assure you're PC ready for intensive gaming you should perform a burn-in test, here is the method I use for the CPU:
    Run Prime 95 for some hours while monitoring CPU temps with HWmonitor.

    On your CPU, Intel recommends that you do not exceed 72ºC
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Intel i7 haswell gtx-560 battlefield-3 CPUs overheating Games Nvidia 4770k