Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need advice on gaming PC build $1000-$1200

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 27, 2013 9:47:20 AM

I have been thoroughly convinced that PC is superior in gaming. So I have ditched the PS4 vs Xbox one debacle and want a true gaming machine. I have done some research as to what components are recommended and wanted the opinion of seasoned PC builders. I want a build that will last for the next 5 years. I cant afford to build one every year or my wife would kill me. Already have SSD 128gb, 2 500gb hardrives and disc drive. Here is what I have gathered so far for my possible build.

I7 3770k CPU (heard good things for over clocking, don't know how to do that but will learn)

MSI z77a-g45 ATX mother board (want the option of future SLI or crossfire whatever the difference is between them)

MSI NVIDI GTX 660 Ti 3gb gddr oc GPU. (I read 3gb was VRAM and good for games like Skyrim)

Corsair GS700w 80 bronze PSU (seems like enough power to me)

Corsair H80i liquid cooling (Undecided on this subject some say liquid cooling is better for OC)

Corsair vengeance blue 2x4 8gb RAM

Antec 1200 v3 (love the look and soooo many fans and room

OS windows 8 64 bit pro or 7 64bit pro (is 8 really the future)
June 27, 2013 10:06:18 AM

I would get an I5 3570k or an i5 4670k you don't really need an i7 because there is minamal preformance difference between the two the i7 only has hyperthreading over the i5 and games don't really use hyperthreading that often as for the case I would recommend an cooler master haf 912 or 922 (probably the 922) and I would go with win 8. If you do decide to go with intel's i5 4670k get a MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard and an h100i or the h80i your preference( the h100i is better) and going with the i5 you save about $69 to $100 depending if you are going with the 3rd or 4th gen cpu.
Newegg is having a combo with the i5 4670k and the Z87-GD65 Motherboard
Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
By the way the color scheme of the motherboard (black/red) is the same color scheme of the HAF 922
m
0
l
Related resources
June 27, 2013 10:08:20 AM

I would go with the EVGA superclocked addition gtx 770 for the graphics card too. You can get that on amazon or newegg for around $419
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 10:19:50 AM

mariodog6 said:
I would go with the EVGA superclocked addition gtx 770 for the graphics card too. You can get that on amazon or newegg for around $419

If he is overclocking the Why EVGA when the other board partners have better thermals?
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 10:23:30 AM

Is he overclocking the gpu too, because then I would recommend the ASUS one
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 10:24:55 AM

Your on the right track but I'll give you a bit of help here. Your using a last gen CPU,MB, and GPU. Aso you have no need for an i7 chip as the i5 performs on par with it in gaming. About the case...I'm sure it looks cool, but really, a full tower case? Trust me you don't want a huge PC roaring beside you when your gaming. Go for something a little smaller and quieter. I personally like the Fractal Design R4 due to it being soooo quiet and its on sale right! if you don't like this case feel free to look around at other mid tower cases:) 

Here is the build I would recommend:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1194.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 13:10 EDT-0400)

About the components:
You have a current gen CPU and Motherboard which supports SLI for the future. I picked out the highest end water cooling kit. This kit cools about 20c lower h100i and others. This means you should be able to get great overclocks with some luck;) Your GPU is a GTX 770 which is pretty much a GTX 680 on steroids! Your getting a real steal on the PSU, a top notch gold rated PSU from the best company for $60! The RAM matches the motherboard and GPU and is clocked at 1866MHZ.

If you didn't notice...I colour coded the rig Red and Black. Personally I think this looks sick and it might be worth while to pick up some Red LED strips to help the overall look. Also the case I picked out has a window which will show off your beautiful themed PC ;) 

If you have any questions or comments let me know.
Cheers:) 
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 27, 2013 10:25:51 AM

they both overclock well assuming you have the evga acx (although you pay a 20 dollar premium for 1c lower temps compared to any other aftermarket card like the msi) otherwise no reason to go evga
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 11:32:32 AM

andystanley said:
Your on the right track but I'll give you a bit of help here. Your using a last gen CPU,MB, and GPU. Aso you have no need for an i7 chip as the i5 performs on par with it in gaming. About the case...I'm sure it looks cool, but really, a full tower case? Trust me you don't want a huge PC roaring beside you when your gaming. Go for something a little smaller and quieter. I personally like the Fractal Design R4 due to it being soooo quiet and its on sale right! if you don't like this case feel free to look around at other mid tower cases:) 

Here is the build I would recommend:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1194.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 13:10 EDT-0400)

About the components:
You have a current gen CPU and Motherboard which supports SLI for the future. I picked out the highest end water cooling kit. This kit cools about 20c lower h100i and others. This means you should be able to get great overclocks with some luck;) Your GPU is a GTX 770 which is pretty much a GTX 680 on steroids! Your getting a real steal on the PSU, a top notch gold rated PSU from the best company for $60! The RAM matches the motherboard and GPU and is clocked at 1866MHZ.

If you didn't notice...I colour coded the rig Red and Black. Personally I think this looks sick and it might be worth while to pick up some Red LED strips to help the overall look. Also the case I picked out has a window which will show off your beautiful themed PC ;) 

If you have any questions or comments let me know.
Cheers:) 


I agree with the GPU going to GTX 770 however will a PSU of 650w allow me to SLI or Crossfire in the future? Will Windows 7 continue to be video game friendly in the future with windows 8 taking over? While I'm not a PC enthusiast yet, I do have an addictive personality. Won't a full tower such as the Antec 1200 v3 give me more room and options for future adjustment such as adding another GPU for SLI or adding a blue ray player for my wife. Also while I sincerely appreciate your quick and informative response I should have mentioned I am partial to blue. Something about the antec blue lit fans drew me like a moth to light. Could you recommend a blue led case that would create a black and blue theme?
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 11:41:11 AM

mariodog6 said:
Is he overclocking the gpu too, because then I would recommend the ASUS one


I am extremely new to PC however I have heard that over clocking can truly squeeze every ounce of performance out of a PC. While I am not completely knowledgable of how to accomplish this feat I would like to have the option in the future as I become more familiar with PC hardware and software.
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 11:48:02 AM

TheBigTroll said:
a way better configuration
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRh0

more vram is useless when the GPU isnt powerful enough to use it. the 3gb editions are marketing scams


Why do you recommend a fan based cooling system over liquid on a system that will eventually be OC'ed. Is liquid cooling just a preference or is the system I'm building under qualified for liquid cooling?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 27, 2013 12:07:53 PM

liquid cooling is a joke until you get going with a custom setup or pick up the 140 dollar h220 from swiftech. all the other units are sub-par units
m
0
l

Best solution

June 27, 2013 7:43:49 PM

Raziel1061 said:
andystanley said:
Your on the right track but I'll give you a bit of help here. Your using a last gen CPU,MB, and GPU. Aso you have no need for an i7 chip as the i5 performs on par with it in gaming. About the case...I'm sure it looks cool, but really, a full tower case? Trust me you don't want a huge PC roaring beside you when your gaming. Go for something a little smaller and quieter. I personally like the Fractal Design R4 due to it being soooo quiet and its on sale right! if you don't like this case feel free to look around at other mid tower cases:) 

Here is the build I would recommend:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1aRvr/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1194.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 13:10 EDT-0400)

About the components:
You have a current gen CPU and Motherboard which supports SLI for the future. I picked out the highest end water cooling kit. This kit cools about 20c lower h100i and others. This means you should be able to get great overclocks with some luck;) Your GPU is a GTX 770 which is pretty much a GTX 680 on steroids! Your getting a real steal on the PSU, a top notch gold rated PSU from the best company for $60! The RAM matches the motherboard and GPU and is clocked at 1866MHZ.

If you didn't notice...I colour coded the rig Red and Black. Personally I think this looks sick and it might be worth while to pick up some Red LED strips to help the overall look. Also the case I picked out has a window which will show off your beautiful themed PC ;) 

If you have any questions or comments let me know.
Cheers:) 


I agree with the GPU going to GTX 770 however will a PSU of 650w allow me to SLI or Crossfire in the future? Will Windows 7 continue to be video game friendly in the future with windows 8 taking over? While I'm not a PC enthusiast yet, I do have an addictive personality. Won't a full tower such as the Antec 1200 v3 give me more room and options for future adjustment such as adding another GPU for SLI or adding a blue ray player for my wife. Also while I sincerely appreciate your quick and informative response I should have mentioned I am partial to blue. Something about the antec blue lit fans drew me like a moth to light. Could you recommend a blue led case that would create a black and blue theme?


Yea you are defiantly right. 650w is not enough. I upgraded it to a 750w haswell compatible PSU by the same company. Yes Windows 7 will defiantly continue to be game friendly. Windows 8 is an absolute joke on a desktop...believe me, it great on tablets, but sucks on a desktop. I understand you are an enthusiast, but there is the ultra enthusiasts who are buying extreme CPUs, quad SLI setups, custom watercooling and 3x 120hz monitors. Those are the ones needing the full towers. A mid tower case can easily support several GPUs and several Bluray Players.
I should of asked what color you were attracted to ;)  A blue themed rig will cost you about $30-$40 more, but its important. Without further talk here is the build:) 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1b1zT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1b1zT/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1b1zT/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.30 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1227.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 22:12 EDT-0400)

The motherboard was switched to a blue/black gigabyte motherboard. The RAM was also switched to blue Intel extreme memory. I also switched the GPU to the blue/black Galaxy GTX 770 which also has a good cooler for the same price. The case is now the Antec 900. Same look as the 1200 only half the space and price. Its not my favorite case, but hey its blue ;)  As I already mentioned I switched the PSU. I also switched the OS as you will not be needing professional even if you add more memory.


Hope this is better tailored to your liking. Let me know if you have any questions are comments.
Cheers:) 
Share
!