Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 27, 2013 2:20:01 PM

I want to purchase a new gaming desktop tower, well just the parts, and assmble myself. I've been using tigerdirect.com and was able to drop the previous price set up considersbly to 600$ roughly. I want to spend roughly 400-500$. I know of people who have bought parts for gaming computers and resulted at that price and with exceptional quality. Right now, my theoretical setup consists of:

AMD quad core 3.8gHz processor=110$
Gigabyte AMD motherboard=60$
Apex Vortex case=40$
WD Blue Mobile Hard Drive=55$
Windows 8 64bit=100$
GeForce GTX 650=150$
Kingston Value RAM=60$
Asus DVD RW drive=20$
Thermal compound=10$

These are retail prices, it is a little cheaper with sale. Please show me how to get to 400-500$ on a quality gaming computer. It can come from any reliable website and be any brand as long as its also reliable. Thanks for the help!

More about : gaming

a b 4 Gaming
June 27, 2013 3:05:06 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $503.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 18:07 EDT-0400)

best i can do
June 27, 2013 3:51:53 PM

ingtar33 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $503.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 18:07 EDT-0400)

best i can do


Wow that's amazingly impressive, thanks! What will this be able to run game wise?
Related resources
June 27, 2013 3:52:50 PM

Take a look at this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Tornado (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $500.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 18:51 EDT-0400)
June 27, 2013 3:54:49 PM

maui67 said:
Take a look at this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Tornado (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $500.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 18:51 EDT-0400)


Also impressive, not sure how I feel about the RAM though
June 27, 2013 4:03:24 PM

PCNOOB2468 said:
maui67 said:
Take a look at this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Tornado (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $500.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 18:51 EDT-0400)


Also impressive, not sure how I feel about the RAM though

What about the ram bothers you? For gaming, 4 GB is more than enough and you can add 4 GB later. Also, although A-Data is not one of the big names they have been making quality ram for some time now. Note that in ingtar33 build that motherboard only supports up to 1333MHz.
June 27, 2013 4:25:53 PM

maui67 said:
PCNOOB2468 said:
maui67 said:
Take a look at this setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($22.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Tornado (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $500.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-27 18:51 EDT-0400)


Also impressive, not sure how I feel about the RAM though

What about the ram bothers you? For gaming, 4 GB is more than enough and you can add 4 GB later. Also, although A-Data is not one of the big names they have been making quality ram for some time now. Note that in ingtar33 build that motherboard only supports up to 1333MHz.


Oh I thought that for gaming a good number was 8gb. Also, is this everything I need besides a keyboard and mouse.
June 27, 2013 4:46:16 PM

8GB is the new "standard" when building a new build, especially when ram was cheap. You could get 8GB for $20 - $30 if you caught it on a great special at newegg.com plus a rebate about a year ago. Now 8GB is running about $60 - $70 unless you catch a smoking deal/rebate. In reality, 4 GB will suffice for gaming. Since you have a specific budget, it is best to start with 4GB and get more later if you feel you need it.
BTW - newegg now has some GSkill Ram for $37.99 also, so I would switch out the ram in my build for the GSkill.

Yes, that should be everything you need. Do you have a wired Internet connection or do you need to connect wirelessly? If wireless, then you will need to get a wireless ethernet adapter.
June 27, 2013 5:10:31 PM

maui67 said:
8GB is the new "standard" when building a new build, especially when ram was cheap. You could get 8GB for $20 - $30 if you caught it on a great special at newegg.com plus a rebate about a year ago. Now 8GB is running about $60 - $70 unless you catch a smoking deal/rebate. In reality, 4 GB will suffice for gaming. Since you have a specific budget, it is best to start with 4GB and get more later if you feel you need it.
BTW - newegg now has some GSkill Ram for $37.99 also, so I would switch out the ram in my build for the GSkill.

Yes, that should be everything you need. Do you have a wired Internet connection or do you need to connect wirelessly? If wireless, then you will need to get a wireless ethernet adapter.


Yeah I have an Ethernet cable. But don't I need an operating system?
June 28, 2013 9:04:28 AM

Oh crap! I didn't notice that you needed an OS! So sorry for the oversight. Let me see what I can come up with.
June 28, 2013 9:44:47 AM

Let's try this on for size:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Tornado (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $505.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-28 12:43 EDT-0400)
a c 247 4 Gaming
June 28, 2013 9:51:12 AM

maui67 said:
Let's try this on for size:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Tornado (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $505.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-28 12:43 EDT-0400)


Stay very far away from that case - it's a major POS. Pay $20 more and get yourself an NZXT Source 210. A Corsair CX430 won't handle that 7850. Pay a bit more and get a Seasonic S12 430W, that will be a much wiser use of funds. If you have to increase your budget to $550, that will be worth it in the long run. But stay very far away from Raidmax.

June 28, 2013 10:14:07 AM

g-unit1111 said:

Stay very far away from that case - it's a major POS. Pay $20 more and get yourself an NZXT Source 210. A Corsair CX430 won't handle that 7850. Pay a bit more and get a Seasonic S12 430W, that will be a much wiser use of funds. If you have to increase your budget to $550, that will be worth it in the long run. But stay very far away from Raidmax.


I didn't realize RaidMax were that bad. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, I would agree that stretching the budget would be a good idea on the OP's part. That Seasonic 430 or even the XFX 550 ($39.99 at newegg) would be a much better choice.
a c 247 4 Gaming
June 28, 2013 11:23:53 AM

maui67 said:
g-unit1111 said:

Stay very far away from that case - it's a major POS. Pay $20 more and get yourself an NZXT Source 210. A Corsair CX430 won't handle that 7850. Pay a bit more and get a Seasonic S12 430W, that will be a much wiser use of funds. If you have to increase your budget to $550, that will be worth it in the long run. But stay very far away from Raidmax.


I didn't realize RaidMax were that bad. Thanks for the heads up!
Yeah, I would agree that stretching the budget would be a good idea on the OP's part. That Seasonic 430 or even the XFX 550 ($39.99 at newegg) would be a much better choice.


Yeah we have quite a few of those where I work and they are insanely bad. I had a door fall off one while I was moving it from one end of the room to the other. I've also had to pry stuck power buttons, replace the incredibly poorly made fans, tons and tons of other problems. While my Corsair 500R hasn't had a single scratch on it, other than the usual dirt marks that show up with white cases.
!