Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is the Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler enough for this build?

Last response: in Components
Share
June 27, 2013 7:29:59 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if the Hyper 212 EVO will be able to handle this build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GRAPHIC CARD: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB
DVD DRIVE: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

If not, should I add an extra fan to the Hyper 212 EVO so it'll have better performance with an extra fan?
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 7:32:33 PM

You can add an extra fan, better be something close to the 212's stock fan. As for performance, you should be able to pull the 4670k to at least 4.3ghz with that setup.
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 7:34:04 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
You can add an extra fan, better be something close to the 212's stock fan. As for performance, you should be able to pull the 4670k to at least 4.3ghz with that setup.

Regarding the extra fan I'm adding, what if it's better (e.g. faster) than the stock Hyper 212 EVO fan? Will it mess it up?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 7:34:27 PM

If you want to support a serious overclock, go for a cooler with dual radiator towers. The EVO 212 only has one.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 7:41:14 PM

Harish798 said:
Madn3ss795 said:
You can add an extra fan, better be something close to the 212's stock fan. As for performance, you should be able to pull the 4670k to at least 4.3ghz with that setup.

Regarding the extra fan I'm adding, what if it's better (e.g. faster) than the stock Hyper 212 EVO fan? Will it mess it up?


There are better options for fan than the Xtraflo one that came with hyper 212 EVO, but they will increase the total price also. How's your budget for the CPU cooler?
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 7:42:51 PM

drewhoo said:
If you want to support a serious overclock, go for a cooler with dual radiator towers. The EVO 212 only has one.

I'm not really going to be getting into overclocking LOL. I'm sticking with the stock speeds. Oh and can you recommend me some really good CPU Coolers for around $30-$50???
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 7:45:03 PM

Phanteks PH-TC12DX is probably the best cooler at 50$ right now, with extreme performance, easy to install, doesn't block any RAM slots on an ATX board and has 4 difference colors to choose from.

Reviews:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Phanteks/PH-TC12DX/
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc12dx...

Share
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 7:49:25 PM

If you're sticking with stock speeds, then you can use the stock cooler. You might also consider getting a cheaper i5, as you're paying for the K, which means "unlocked for overclocking". And you might consider getting a cheaper motherboard; if you don't OC your processor, it would be a waste of money to pay for a $150 Z87 motherboard when you would get the same performance from and $80 H87 (H87 does not allow CPU overclock).

If you're concerned about a top down cooler (the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is a top-down design) disrupting your airflow, then just pick the cheapest CPU cooler that fits the 1150 socket.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 7:53:34 PM

drewhoo said:
If you're sticking with stock speeds, then you can use the stock cooler. You might also consider getting a cheaper i5, as you're paying for the K, which means "unlocked for overclocking". And you might consider getting a cheaper motherboard; if you don't OC your processor, it would be a waste of money to pay for a $150 Z87 motherboard when you would get the same performance from and $80 H87 (H87 does not allow CPU overclock).

If you're concerned about a top down cooler (the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is a top-down design) disrupting your airflow, then just pick the cheapest CPU cooler that fits the 1150 socket.


I don't think someone would take a k CPU, an aftermarket cooler and a Z motherboard without having overclocking in his mind. As for the last sentence: I really don't get it. Cheapest aftermarket cooler is even worse than Intel's stock one.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:18:46 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
drewhoo said:
If you're sticking with stock speeds, then you can use the stock cooler. You might also consider getting a cheaper i5, as you're paying for the K, which means "unlocked for overclocking". And you might consider getting a cheaper motherboard; if you don't OC your processor, it would be a waste of money to pay for a $150 Z87 motherboard when you would get the same performance from and $80 H87 (H87 does not allow CPU overclock).

If you're concerned about a top down cooler (the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is a top-down design) disrupting your airflow, then just pick the cheapest CPU cooler that fits the 1150 socket.


I don't think someone would take a k CPU, an aftermarket cooler and a Z motherboard without having overclocking in his mind. As for the last sentence: I really don't get it. Cheapest aftermarket cooler is even worse than Intel's stock one.


LOL perhaps you should actually read what Harish said, then
Quote:
I'm not really going to be getting into overclocking LOL. I'm sticking with the stock speeds. Oh and can you recommend me some really good CPU Coolers for around $30-$50???
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:20:11 PM

Sooner or later, overclocking will be needed to push the best out of his graphic card, and any other stronger card that may come in the future, so he should be well prepared.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:26:04 PM

Harish798 said:
Madn3ss795 said:
Sooner or later, overclocking will be needed to push the best out of his graphic card, and any other stronger card that may come in the future, so he should be well prepared.

Yup! And how's this fan? http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8...


Yes, you can use that fan.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:29:59 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Sooner or later, overclocking will be needed to push the best out of his graphic card, and any other stronger card that may come in the future, so he should be well prepared.


Are you saying that he needs to be able to overclock his GPU to get the most out of it, or are you saying that he'll need to overlock his CPU to get the most out of his GPU?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:32:36 PM

I meant OC the CPU to get the most out of the GPU. Although the stock i5 won't bottleneck the gtx760, he probably won't stick with the 760 until his PC broke, right :ange: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:38:36 PM

Good point; I wouldn't, though I've got to be honest, I'm not sure that even the 960 would be bottlenecked by the clock speed of an i5-4xxx. I think it's much more likely to be bottlenecked by the lack of logical cores, as this article discusses (someone on TH forum was kind enough to share this article with me) http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future...

So that suggests that a 4 core processor is a poor choice for future proofing (as far as gaming builds are concerned anyway) and an overclock wouldn't solve the problem since clock speeds aren't going to do much toward future proofing. So if I'm putting together a gaming build ATM, I would go for an 8 core AMD rather than an overclockable quad core i5.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:48:12 PM

Yes, FX are definitely more future-proof, but Intel platform currently gives more benefit, not just at performance but connectors/features also.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:50:18 PM

If you don't mind my asking, what do you mean by connectors/features? I've only recently begun paying attention to AMD boards so I am not as familiar with them and the differences between them and Intel boards.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 8:59:12 PM

Faster maximum USB3.0 and SATA3.0 speed should be a good start. Also less buggy usb3.0 ports since they're all Intel-controlled, compared to AM3+ platform that are still using usb3.0 solution from 3rd party companies. That does matter to people who have super speed SSD like the 840 pro or have extreme speed usb3.0 devices. I'm using a mini SSD as the external storage device ( while still using HDDs as internal storage devices. Awkward, eh? ) so Intel's native usb3.0 ports does come as a strong point.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 9:08:44 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Faster maximum USB3.0 and SATA3.0 speed should be a good start. Also less buggy usb3.0 ports since they're all Intel-controlled, compared to AM3+ platform that are still using usb3.0 solution from 3rd party companies. That does matter to people who have super speed SSD like the 840 pro or have extreme speed usb3.0 devices. I'm using a mini SSD as the external storage device ( while still using HDDs as internal storage devices. Awkward, eh? ) so Intel's native usb3.0 ports does come as a strong point.


Interesting. I always hear arguments for intel CPUs over AMD CPUs and never get a clear explanation of why Intel is better. Perhaps that is part of the reason. What exactly is your storage config/what do you do with your rig? I'm asking because I currently have a 5disk RAID5 with a 3ware 9750-8i card that I am very happy with, but am considering going RAID0 once I get my off-site backup in order.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2013 9:18:43 PM

I'm not really into RAID and related stuffs, thou. Only have 1 main 500gb hdd with few other hdds from old system for storage ( don't even try to RAID since B75 mobo doesn't support that ). My "mini ssd" is a Sandisk extreme usb3.0, quite cheap but its speed isn't cheap any at all. I use it as a boot-able rescue device also so I need a device with high random read/write speed to load up things fast. Normal NAND flash drives have their 4k/random write speed capped at 0,05mb/s or less, this Sandisk drive I have can do over 10mb/s ( since it's a SSD after all ). Its sequential read speed is over 200mb/s , too, but can be dropped to 160mb/s or less depends on the usb3.0 controller.
m
0
l
June 27, 2013 9:41:04 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
I'm not really into RAID and related stuffs, thou. Only have 1 main 500gb hdd with few other hdds from old system for storage ( don't even try to RAID since B75 mobo doesn't support that ). My "mini ssd" is a Sandisk extreme usb3.0, quite cheap but its speed isn't cheap any at all. I use it as a boot-able rescue device also so I need a device with high random read/write speed to load up things fast. Normal NAND flash drives have their 4k/random write speed capped at 0,05mb/s or less, this Sandisk drive I have can do over 10mb/s ( since it's a SSD after all ). Its sequential read speed is over 200mb/s , too, but can be dropped to 160mb/s or less depends on the usb3.0 controller.

What's raiding?
m
0
l
July 2, 2013 9:31:27 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Wikipedia can explain it better than me :p 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

Hey guys I'm changing my decision I'm going with water cooling now (Corsair), what do guys recommend in a Corsair watercooler? How's the H80i?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2013 9:37:15 PM

The Phanteks cooler I mentioned above yield better performance, yet lower noise than a H80i.
m
0
l
July 2, 2013 9:41:32 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
The Phanteks cooler I mentioned above yield better performance, yet lower noise than a H80i.

Are you sure? Isn't watercooling much more effective though?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2013 9:47:49 PM

Custom water cooling setups are, but not All in One setups like the H80i. You can check the result from the review I posted above:





Here they didn't test the H80i, but I don't think that it can be better than the higher-rated H90.
m
0
l
July 2, 2013 9:53:02 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Custom water cooling setups are, but not All in One setups like the H80i. You can check the result from the review I posted above:





Here they didn't test the H80i, but I don't think that it can be better than the higher-rated H90.

Wow that seems pretty legit. Thanks :)  Oh and also do you think this Phantecks is better than the one you recommended? http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=8...

Or do you think it's not worth the extra money?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2013 9:56:40 PM

That's an extreme air cooler that's equal to the Corsair H110. Definitely worth the money if you want to push your i5 to around 5ghz. But you'll have to get ram sticks with lower heatsink to avoid blocking this cooler also.
m
0
l
July 2, 2013 10:01:01 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
That's an extreme air cooler that's equal to the Corsair H110. Definitely worth the money if you want to push your i5 to around 5ghz. But you'll have to get ram sticks with lower heatsink to avoid blocking this cooler also.

I'm using Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB RAM on a MSI Z87-G45 Motherboard. Do you think it'll get in the way?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2013 10:04:26 PM

Yes it will. You'd want Vengeance LP, G.SKill Sniper or another type of RAM that doesn't have tall heatsink.
m
0
l
July 2, 2013 10:11:24 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Yes it will. You'd want Vengeance LP, G.SKill Sniper or another type of RAM that doesn't have tall heatsink.

Are there any performance differences between the Vengeance Pro and LP?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2013 10:18:17 PM

Nope, beside the size of the heatsink.
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 11:29:44 AM

Madn3ss795 said:
Nope, beside the size of the heatsink.

What if I just go with the Phanteks PH-TC12DX that you suggested? How will it fare with my build? Will its size block anything? If I overclock how much do you think I can reach maximum??? I'm also planning to add two Corsair SP120 High Performance Case Fans to the front of my case. I'm using an Antec Eleven Hundred Case btw
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2013 2:40:43 AM

PH-TC12DX won't block RAM slots. As for maximum clock, depends on your CPU, too, since some are better for OC than others, some are worse, but over 4.6ghz can be expected from this cooler.
m
0
l
!