Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PSU for video card upgrade

Last response: in Components
Share
June 27, 2013 11:41:57 PM

Hello. My PC specs currently are:

Motherboard - MSI P31 Neo V2
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz
RAM - 3GB DDR2 667 MHz
GFX - Asus GeForce GT220 512MB DDR3
HDD - Samsung HD321KJ (320 GB) & Samsung HD204UI (2TB)

I'm really starting to think about a gfx upgrade and initially I thought that GTX650 would be a good choice, but since the price went up for it, I'm now cosidering the GTX650 Ti version (it's half the price of the non-Ti version! O.o ). But here's the thing, my PSU right now is a 405 watt Chieftec ANP-405A12. Would that be sufficient for the GTX650 Ti, or do i have to get an upgrade for the PSU as well? NVidia says that GTX650 Ti requires 400W minimum, but, just to be sure, I thought I'd ask for a second opinion. I read the stickies and tried to figure it out by myself, but I've always hated numbers and maths, so, yeah.. :D  Anyways, please help me out on this one?

Also, here's a photo of the sticker on the PSU, thought it would help - PSU_sticker

Thanks in advance! :) 

More about : psu video card upgrade

June 27, 2013 11:47:00 PM

You should be fine. The rest of your components are so underpowered that you won't need all 400W. Although, maybe someone can clarify this for you (and me), the older parts might even require more power than the newer ones... so maybe you do need 400W... I would think the legacy technology of a Core 2 Duo and DDR2 RAM isn't going to suck as much juice as, say an 8 core and DDR3 at a much, MUCH higher frequency than 667...
June 27, 2013 11:51:02 PM

JobCreator said:
You should be fine. The rest of your components are so underpowered that you won't need all 400W. Although, maybe someone can clarify this for you (and me), the older parts might even require more power than the newer ones... so maybe you do need 400W... I would think the legacy technology of a Core 2 Duo and DDR2 RAM isn't going to suck as much juice as, say an 8 core and DDR3 at a much, MUCH higher frequency than 667...


As far as I know, my CPUs TDP is 65W, and my current GPUs TDP is 58W. Don't know much else, sorry. :D 
Related resources
June 27, 2013 11:55:12 PM

To be on the safe side, I would recommend a good quality PSU upgrade. Go for a corsair CX430. It is a high performance, dependable, 430 watt PSU that will power your system with no issues and last a long time. Plus, it's only $40!

However, note that your CPU will be a HUGE bottleneck and will prevent the GTX650Ti from performing at full potential. Consider a CPU upgrade and another few gigs of memory for better performance :) 
June 28, 2013 12:00:40 AM

In reply to JobCreator, people often confuse the "recommended PSU wattage" on GFX card websites. The manufacturer will make the watt estimate for the PSU accounting for the other hardware in the system, and it is usually with a few watts to spare.
So if Nvidia says the system needs a 400 watt power supply, dont worry. I'm just recommending the new PSU because the one you have looks a little sketchy and may not last long under full load with a gtx650Ti
June 28, 2013 12:03:16 AM

risaccess1 said:
To be on the safe side, I would recommend a good quality PSU upgrade. Go for a corsair CX430. It is a high performance, dependable, 430 watt PSU that will power your system with no issues and last a long time. Plus, it's only $40!

However, note that your CPU will be a HUGE bottleneck and will prevent the GTX650Ti from performing at full potential. Consider a CPU upgrade and another few gigs of memory for better performance :) 


Well, currently my GPU is a HUGE bottleneck, isn't it? :D 
I don't know really, I'm kinda low on budget at the moment, but I think I'll build a new PC altogether as soon as I can, because honestly, i think it's pointless to upgrade on a 775 socket. Although it could be a year or two until I can afford a new build, all I'm looking for at this moment is a better GPU so I can run some newer games.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2013 12:55:28 AM

You got a offbrand power supply unit its like play suiscide with your system I would consider at least a good 500 watt power supply like corsair

heres a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

yet your system isn't using all that power but how long will that older offbrand power supply last before it dies and may take your system with it?

June 28, 2013 2:03:26 AM

johnnyb105 said:
You got a offbrand power supply unit its like play suiscide with your system I would consider at least a good 500 watt power supply like corsair

heres a link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

yet your system isn't using all that power but how long will that older offbrand power supply last before it dies and may take your system with it?


I wouldn't exactly call Chieftec an offbrand, they're considered at least half-way decent where I'm from. Sure, Chieftec is low-end, but it's the low-ends reliable end, so to speak.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
June 28, 2013 10:07:16 PM

Sorry I meant no pun Intended Was just offering some advice on my builds and whats worked for me.

Best solution

a c 1106 ) Power supply
a c 503 U Graphics card
June 28, 2013 10:25:53 PM
Share

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Chieftec ARENA 405W (ANP-405A12), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card. That power supply unit model uses CWT (Channel Well Technology) as its OEM.
June 29, 2013 11:43:47 AM

johnnyb105 said:
Sorry I meant no pun Intended Was just offering some advice on my builds and whats worked for me.


I know, you're just stating your opinion, as am I. ;) 
June 29, 2013 11:54:16 AM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 20 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated @ 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Chieftec ARENA 405W (ANP-405A12), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 25 Amps and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card. That power supply unit model uses CWT (Channel Well Technology) as its OEM.


Thanks! Chosen as the solution. :) 
!