Which HD 7950 for CrossFire?

Spectronox

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Hello,

I'm a new convert from console to PC gaming. I'm building a mid-range machine (3570K) and need help selecting the right graphics card. The plan is to buy one now, and double up later. Intending to play at 1080p, and with value in mind, I narrowed the choices down to a GTX 760 or HD 7950, before deciding on the latter.

I think the squirrel cage fan (reference type) might be best, because although it might not boast as much outright cooling potential as aftermarket coolers, it means in CrossFire the top card will not be blowing hot air down on to the PCB of the bottom one?

So, I looked at this MSI card - http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7950-3GD5-OC-BE.html - but I'm concerned about the placement of the fan, since it's half way across the PCB, as opposed to at the very end such as the reference AMD card - url=http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7950/Pages/radeon-7950.aspx#1. I'm aware of Sapphire's 4L version of the card which uses the 7970 reference cooler, but unfortunately I can't find one in the UK.

Could someone please advise?

Thanks,

- Spectronox

JRAtk94

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Out of interest, why did you choose the 7950 over the GTX 760? Simply asking out of curiousity, as I know they come very close in performance.

As for the 7950, I'd go for a Sapphire version, but steer clear of the "Vapor-X" version, because it isn't for overclocking. Conversely, if you don't plan to overclock, then the Vapor-X would probably be the best choice.

I'd go for a dual-fan version as well, since airflow will be impaired with two cards, making dual-fans fans a must.

Spectronox

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
They're so close that the benchmarks about the web are conflicting, so the deciding factor was the Never Settle: Reloaded bundle!

I must confess, I actually cracked and bought the R7950. I read a few good reviews and deemed that, with the extra airflow provided by side fans if necessary, keeping them cool should be okay. I can always resist the temptation to overclock them if the temperatures are problematic. (It's my long term intention to water cool the system, incidentally.)

Thanks for the reply all the same!