Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Changing AHCI mode to IDE

Last response: in Storage
Share
June 28, 2013 4:15:35 PM

I know, "Why would you do that?"
Windows XP. Yep. I can't use some apps on Win 7 that i can use on Win XP and vice versa. And no, im not doing a VM on a netbook. I get a BSOD when I install from a USB. Turns out, it's something to do with IDE mode. If anyone could help me, that would be great!
Thanks!

More about : changing ahci mode ide

a c 124 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
June 28, 2013 4:26:16 PM

Like to change IDE to AHCI for SSD, you go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_iaStor
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_iaStorV
Change the values ( maybe other iaStorF too, all of them) from 0 To 1, restart your computer/laptop , and go to Bios and set from AHCI to IDE, save settings in Bios and restart
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 3:41:43 AM

cin19 said:
Like to change IDE to AHCI for SSD, you go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_iaStor
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_iaStorV
Change the values ( maybe other iaStorF too, all of them) from 0 To 1, restart your computer/laptop , and go to Bios and set from AHCI to IDE, save settings in Bios and restart

Ok. Can anybody confrim this works with an HDD? I don't feel like ruining my 7 install :<
m
0
l
Related resources
June 29, 2013 7:15:29 AM

What kind of mono do you have your on the right track If your HD drive is not being recognized in the red slots on your mobo move the plug to the black in bios under Achi you will find Ide switch the mode there and them your Device will pop.
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 7:19:00 AM

Terry Cobb said:
What kind of mono do you have your on the right track If your HD drive is not being recognized in the red slots on your mobo move the plug to the black in bios under Achi you will find Ide switch the mode there and them your Device will pop.


Sorry I dont understand
m
0
l
a c 124 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2013 7:41:21 AM

If your PC will not boot after change that Windows registry, you will not screw the PC and you just go to the same Windows registry to change it back. Only if you do the delete that value you do screw up all.
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 8:06:17 AM

cin19 said:
If your PC will not boot after change that Windows registry, you will not screw the PC and you just go to the same Windows registry to change it back. Only if you do the delete that value you do screw up all.


Would I need to boot into something like a Windows 7 CD to access the registry?
m
0
l
a c 124 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2013 8:46:14 AM

no. here is from that instruction.

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
3.Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
4.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
5.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide


6.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
7.In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.
8.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
9.Restart your computer
10.Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable IDE, Save & Reboot
11.Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 9:11:42 AM

cin19 said:
no. here is from that instruction.

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
3.Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
4.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
5.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide


6.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
7.In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.
8.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
9.Restart your computer
10.Go to UEFI/BIOS and enable IDE, Save & Reboot
11.Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.


Sorry, but that didnt work
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 124 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2013 10:40:00 AM

I am sorry, I should read carefully. Do you mean you get the BSOD during the installation?

If yes, that is because the winXP don't come with the SATA controller driver. If you do install the winXP in the netbook then you need to 1) download the SATA AHCI Controller Driver from intel website, then put it into other USB. 2) During the installation you need press F6 key, then load the SATA ahci driver first, then you can done the winXP installation.

SATA AHCI driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y...
How to Install a SATA Driver in XP With F6: http://www.ehow.com/how_8097997_install-sata-driver-xp-...

Share
June 29, 2013 11:48:43 AM

cin19 said:
I am sorry, I should read carefully. Do you mean you get the BSOD during the installation?

If yes, that is because the winXP don't come with the SATA controller driver. If you do install the winXP in the netbook then you need to 1) download the SATA AHCI Controller Driver from intel website, then put it into other USB. 2) During the installation you need press F6 key, then load the SATA ahci driver first, then you can done the winXP installation.

SATA AHCI driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y...
How to Install a SATA Driver in XP With F6: http://www.ehow.com/how_8097997_install-sata-driver-xp-...



Yeah, it just reverted to 3. I will try that
EDIT: Is it possible to integrate the drivers into the install, because I don't have a floppy disk on a netbook
m
0
l
a c 124 G Storage
a b $ Windows 7
June 29, 2013 2:37:32 PM

You can use other USB drive.
m
0
l
July 1, 2013 6:28:19 PM

cin19 said:
You can use other USB drive.


Ok I got XP working, now I have no bootloader at all. Any help to get a new bootloader?
m
0
l
!