Solved

A single 7970 or crossfire gigabyte 7870

my build currently
i5 3570k
asus z77 mobo
gigabyte 7870
500gb hardrive
650 psu

my question is should i get another 7870 or a single 7970
to future proof my build for games for the next 2-3 years at max settings
only a single monitor
and will my psu supply the GPUs
im also upgrading my case and hardrive if that has any affect
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about single 7970 crossfire gigabyte 7870
  1. awsomepcgamer said:
    my build currently
    i5 3570k
    asus z77 mobo
    gigabyte 7870
    500gb hardrive
    650 psu

    my question is should i get another 7870 or a single 7970
    to future proof my build for games for the next 2-3 years at max settings
    only a single monitor
    and will my psu supply the GPUs
    im also upgrading my case and hardrive if that has any affect


    What's your budget? A single 7970 would be cooler and quieter, though two 7870's would be faster, your PSU will be more than enough for both configurations. But you won't really be able to future proof for 2-3 years without spending crazy money, as games will only continue to get more demanding. What about a GTX 770? You get GPU Boost 2.0, Adaptive Vsync built in to the Nvidia control panel, and the performance is almost identical to a 7970. Fiture driver updates could even boost the 770 to higher performance than the 7970. Just a suggestion.
  2. mclovits said:
    awsomepcgamer said:
    my build currently
    i5 3570k
    asus z77 mobo
    gigabyte 7870
    500gb hardrive
    650 psu

    my question is should i get another 7870 or a single 7970
    to future proof my build for games for the next 2-3 years at max settings
    only a single monitor
    and will my psu supply the GPUs
    im also upgrading my case and hardrive if that has any affect


    What's your budget? A single 7970 would be cooler and quieter, though two 7870's would be faster, your PSU will be more than enough for both configurations. But you won't really be able to future proof for 2-3 years without spending crazy money, as games will only continue to get more demanding. What about a GTX 770? You get GPU Boost 2.0, Adaptive Vsync built in to the Nvidia control panel, and the performance is almost identical to a 7970. Fiture driver updates could even boost the 770 to higher performance than the 7970. Just a suggestion.


    will a 770 be better for future uses and is it better SLI
    noise isnt a factor since i am home alone
  3. I like the single 7970 idea, but with the "kepler" cards giving "Tahiti" a run for the money, why not. :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770
    Both X-fire & sli have issues for the money. If I were to but today a single this :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121769
    OR :http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099I7CLO/ref=pe_171660_30716570_email_1p_0_ti
  4. Well it's probably better to get the new hardware since you can afford it and the performance will be the same (or better) as a single 7970. As of right now SLI is having less issues than CF though that will be fixed soon. Having dual cards is always going to pose some potential issues, but Kepler runs much cooler than Tahiti, so you wouldn't really have any problems down the road with SLI. I'd recommend either that Asus card or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463
    Also, noise might be a factor after a while, I know my PC is beginning to get on my nerves when listening to music, just avoid reference GPU's and low quality case fans/cpu coolers, trust me, it's better to keep it quiet if you can.
  5. Single 7970.

    The 7870 CF would be faster, but you would have microstutter and poor scaling in some games.

    AMD claims to be working on drivers that fix crossfire but for now I would stay away from it.
  6. i am leaning towards a single evga 770 but i really want to future proof my machine for next 2-3 years
    so is a single card good enough or should i get evga gtx 770 sli which is the best for the future
    oh and will i need to upgrade my psu
  7. You should be safe @ 650w.
  8. ok one last question gets best answer
    what setup out of the 7970,7870 crossfire,770 or 770 sli
    will future proof my machine and allow me to play games at max settings for the next 2-4 years on just one monitor
  9. Best answer
    awsomepcgamer said:
    i am leaning towards a single evga 770 but i really want to future proof my machine for next 2-3 years
    so is a single card good enough or should i get evga gtx 770 sli which is the best for the future
    oh and will i need to upgrade my psu



    I think you could get away with SLI 770's if you have a good brand of PSU. You'd be set if you went SLI 770's, you could run most games maxed out @1080p (maybe AA would have to be compromised a bit at some point down the road) for at least 2 years.
  10. Im also open to NVIDIA cards, my budget is about 320
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Crossfire Gigabyte Graphics