New build wont start..

So I have been trying to figure out whats wrong with this system for 2 days.

Intel I5-4670k
Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
Gigabyte GTX 770OC-4GB
EVGA NEX650G
2 X 8GB Ballistix DDR3-1600

So, I put everything together and tried to power it up. It spun for half a second and then shut off. I tried taking out 1 part at a time to see what was holding it back and got down to the motherboard and still nothing. I know the motherboard is getting power though because the power button on the MOBO is lighting up.

I took the motherboard back and exchanged it for a new one. I put everything back together tonight and still the same thing..It spins up for a moment and then shuts off..I really dont know what it could be, any suggestions?

Im starting to think it could be the PSU but I dont know.
24 answers Last reply
More about build wont start
  1. The Motherboard is "shorting" against the case somewhere. If not : Check http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
  2. um, explain exactly how you "put everything together", or give us a few pictures... maybe you didn't actually put everything together and missed something?

    also, which lights flash red on your motherboard before it shuts off?
  3. I would do the following:
    1. Disconnect the EVGA NEX650G graphics card from the motherboard and power on the system.
    2. If that fails, make sure your 2 RAM are connected in the right slots. Refer to the motherboard book that came with your motherboard
    3. make sure the CMOS battery is seated properly. If you take this battery out and put back in, you will need to reconfigure your BIOS settings (date, clock, etc.)
    4. have you put thermal paste on the CPU before putting on the heatsink?
    5. did you make sure the power cable is connected near the CPU?

    Power on the PC and check to see on the motherboard a small LED red light. The red light indicates where it stops and failure is. There should be some small letters next to the LED. You will need to research what that is.





  4. ^The red is the lights that come on. Also the power button on the motherboard is lit up constantly if the PSU is on.
  5. Does the LED display any number(s) at all?
  6. Make sure the 4 pin CPU connector is in.

    Could be a bad PSU.
  7. there also seem to be no fan on your CPU heatsink, add a fan or it'll overheat and down throttle
  8. vmem said:
    there also seem to be no fan on your CPU heatsink, add a fan or it'll overheat and down throttle


    Sorry about that. When I tried to turn it on I had the fan on it. I just took that off for the pictures.
  9. Jkether said:
    vmem said:
    there also seem to be no fan on your CPU heatsink, add a fan or it'll overheat and down throttle


    Sorry about that. When I tried to turn it on I had the fan on it. I just took that off for the pictures.



    same question as ur6beersaway then, what numbers/letters, if any, do the red LEDs display before the computer shuts off?
  10. Man, I feel for you bro. I will be getting the rest of my parts for my first build in a couple weeks and have been driving around town looking for old ladies to help cross the street for good karma. I have confidence that these very helpful guyz will help you through this and hope you get it running tonight.

  11. ^This is the symbol I get from the LED..It almost looks like a C but not quite.
  12. I'm having the same issue. On my second motherboard and the issue still remains. Seems like a short but all of the standoffs were installed correctly.
  13. ^Same here. I know my stand offs are good.
  14. I just breadboarded everything. Issue still persists. The MBIOS LED flashes and I get the same symbol you indicated above. I cannot find a reference for the meaning of this code.
  15. Yeah man, Im going to take my PSU back tomorrow and exchange it. A lot of things I have read say it may be that.
  16. Jkether said:
    Yeah man, Im going to take my PSU back tomorrow and exchange it. A lot of things I have read say it may be that.


    Let me know if the new PSU resolves the issue. I had my PC Power & Cooling Mk III 750w tested at a local shop and they said it was fine. I ordered a tester off eBay to check myself but its about a week out.
  17. bmbrns88 said:
    Jkether said:
    Yeah man, Im going to take my PSU back tomorrow and exchange it. A lot of things I have read say it may be that.


    Let me know if the new PSU resolves the issue. I had my PC Power & Cooling Mk III 750w tested at a local shop and they said it was fine. I ordered a tester off eBay to check myself but its about a week out.


    Will do. I may take my CPU back as well depending on what else I hear from people tonight.
  18. Jkether said:
    bmbrns88 said:
    Jkether said:
    Yeah man, Im going to take my PSU back tomorrow and exchange it. A lot of things I have read say it may be that.


    Let me know if the new PSU resolves the issue. I had my PC Power & Cooling Mk III 750w tested at a local shop and they said it was fine. I ordered a tester off eBay to check myself but its about a week out.


    Will do. I may take my CPU back as well depending on what else I hear from people tonight.



    if you think you can, maybe take the whole thing to the PC shop. they should be willing to help you resolve the issue as you're exchanging all the parts costs them money too. maybe you guys can set up a make-shift test-bed in a backroom somewhere and test parts until you narrow it down?
  19. The ram closest to the cpu looks like it is not properly seated like the one located furthest away from the cpu. try reseating the ram. make sure you hear both clicks
  20. I figured it out. The EVGA PSU is not compatible with Gigabyte boards or Haswell CPU's apparently. I exchanged it for a Corsair HX850..It booted up without any problems. I appreciate everyones help!
  21. Jkether said:
    I figured it out. The EVGA PSU is not compatible with Gigabyte boards or Haswell CPU's apparently. I exchanged it for a Corsair HX850..It booted up without any problems. I appreciate everyones help!


    Glad you fixed the issue. Too bad I know mine are compatible... the troubleshooting continues
  22. Jkether said:
    I figured it out. The EVGA PSU is not compatible with Gigabyte boards or Haswell CPU's apparently. I exchanged it for a Corsair HX850..It booted up without any problems. I appreciate everyones help!


    Corsair rules!! cheers

    PS. I guess that symbol means "change out the POS power supply".:p
  23. glad you figured it out. it's a strange issue though. EVGA generally have decent PSUs
  24. Anything can be bad regardless of manufacturer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Systems Motherboards new-build