Hard time deciding between these two laptops for UNI!!!!!! HELP!!!

Ok so im going to law school in a month and I am going to buy a laptop.

Here are the reasons for use:
1. Word processing/typing (I am an extremely fast typer and will be taking lect notes with this)

2. League of legends :)

3. Surfing, watching movies!


Okay so ive managed to cut down to 3 choices.

1) Macbook air (haswell) i7 (1.7ghz, turbo to 3.3ghz, HD5000) - $1359
http://store.apple.com/au-hed/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air

2) Macbook air (haswell) i5 (1.3ghz - 2.6ghz) - $1199

3) Toshiba Z930 - $885 (i5 1.6ghz - 2.6ghz, HD 4000,)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Portege-Z930-13-3-i5-3317U-2-6Ghz-Turbo-4GB-SSD-HDMI-USB3-Ultrabook-/180997650958?pt=AU_comp_laptop&hash=item2a244cfa0e&_uhb=1

(PLS PLS CHECK THIS SITE OUT IT HAS ALL THE SPEC INFO STRAIGHT ON IT)
6 answers Last reply
More about hard time deciding laptops uni
  1. get the macbook air with the i7 and HD5000, anything less will give you bad performance on league of legends
  2. vmem said:
    get the macbook air with the i7 and HD5000, anything less will give you bad performance on league of legends


    ok thx for the advice,

    anyone have any other opinion?

    by getting the z930 i can potentially save 500$ :)
  3. Do ya need three posts for the same question ? Please ONE post per topic.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1717642/hard-time-deciding-laptops-uni.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1717644/hard-time-deciding-laptops-uni.html

    I wouldn't use any one of those. Get something custom built to your exact needs and if ya wanna game, get a dedicated GPU

    At $1400
    Clevo P151SM1
    http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np8230.html

    15.6” Full HD 16:9 LED-Backlit MATTE Ultra Clear
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
    Genuine Microsoft Windows® 8 64-Bit Edition
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
    750GB Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 7200RPM 32MB SATA 6.0Gb/s 8GB SSD
    6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
    Integrated 802.11 b/g/n wireless LAN + Bluetooth

    $1424 before Max discount
    http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebook-review-members-military-and-student-discounts.html

    That will toast any of the above
  4. JackNaylorPE said:
    Do ya need three posts for the same question ? Please ONE post per topic.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1717642/hard-time-deciding-laptops-uni.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1717644/hard-time-deciding-laptops-uni.html

    I wouldn't use any one of those. Get something custom built to your exact needs and if ya wanna game, get a dedicated GPU

    At $1400
    Clevo P151SM1
    http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np8230.html

    15.6” Full HD 16:9 LED-Backlit MATTE Ultra Clear
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
    Genuine Microsoft Windows® 8 64-Bit Edition
    8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB
    750GB Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 7200RPM 32MB SATA 6.0Gb/s 8GB SSD
    6X Blu-ray Reader/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
    Integrated 802.11 b/g/n wireless LAN + Bluetooth

    $1424 before Max discount
    http://www.lpc-digital.com/notebook-review-members-military-and-student-discounts.html

    That will toast any of the above




    I agree, but I think the OP clearly wants an ultrabook
  5. I have just gone through this same problem and had it resolved here. I would recommend getting a less expensive piece of hardware if you need to purchase now as the innovations on these systems are comming very fast. This is so that you can upgrade sooner if you spend less. If i had to choose between the suggestions you provided I would go with the toshiba as the most intensive thing you will be doing is playing lol and as a lol player on a lenovo z400 I can tell you that there is no need for tons of graphics power.
  6. Arodri93 said:
    I have just gone through this same problem and had it resolved here. I would recommend getting a less expensive piece of hardware if you need to purchase now as the innovations on these systems are comming very fast. This is so that you can upgrade sooner if you spend less. If i had to choose between the suggestions you provided I would go with the toshiba as the most intensive thing you will be doing is playing lol and as a lol player on a lenovo z400 I can tell you that there is no need for tons of graphics power.


    one thing you forgot to consider: resale value. ALL apple products have consistently held their value in the 2nd hand market WAY better than any other PC manufacturer. if he gets a Macbook Air for say $900 now (cheapest model). he can probably resell it for ~650-750 in about 2 years. no PC would have that kind of resale value. thus, in two years, he can get a new MBA, for a total cost of ~$1300 to stay on the 'bleeding edge'. where as if you got a Toshiba or lenovo for ~$600 or so, you'd be spending ~$1000 plus total in a similar scenario (and spending longer trying to sell your used laptop)
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Macbook Intel i5