Solved

USB 3.0 External HD runs at USB 2.0 speeds in 2.0 and 3.0 ports

My Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5 TB external hard drive runs at the same speeds (R/W around 35 MB/s) whether plugged into a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port.

I've had the drive for over a year, but just upgraded my computer and have USB 3.0 ports for the first time.

Any ideas on why I'm not getting USB 3.0 speeds?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about usb external runs usb speeds ports
  1. Did you install the usb3.0 driver? And what motherboard are you using, to be specific?
  2. Madn3ss795 said:
    Did you install the usb3.0 driver? And what motherboard are you using, to be specific?

    Yes - I installed the USB 3.0 drivers and I don't see any yellow items in device manager. MSI Z87-G45.

    Edited: I meant MSI Z87-G45.
  3. Anyone have any ideas on this? I feel like this is a solvable issue, but I know it's hard to address given the number of things you might need to know. If there is any specific information that I can provide that would be helpful, please let me know. Thanks.
  4. Best answer
    brimley said:
    My Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5 TB external hard drive runs at the same speeds (R/W around 35 MB/s) whether plugged into a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port.

    I've had the drive for over a year, but just upgraded my computer and have USB 3.0 ports for the first time.

    Any ideas on why I'm not getting USB 3.0 speeds?


    From the review " Real World Performance ", you can see if you copy large file (8GB) the speed is 77MB/s, if you copy the small file (5GB) the speed is down to 25MB/s. And Look like your drive is fine.
    http://www.everythingusb.com/seagate-freeagent-goflex-ultra-portable-drive-20554.html
  5. cin19 said:
    brimley said:
    My Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5 TB external hard drive runs at the same speeds (R/W around 35 MB/s) whether plugged into a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 port.

    I've had the drive for over a year, but just upgraded my computer and have USB 3.0 ports for the first time.

    Any ideas on why I'm not getting USB 3.0 speeds?


    From the review " Real World Performance ", you can see if you copy large file (8GB) the speed is 77MB/s, if you copy the small file (5GB) the speed is down to 25MB/s. And Look like your drive is fine.
    http://www.everythingusb.com/seagate-freeagent-goflex-ultra-portable-drive-20554.html

    Ok, you're right. That's disappointing, but thank you. I purchased this drive in a weird (legit) way and didn't have a chance to research it first. Funny that for all intents and purposes (files < 5 GB), it only operates at USB 2.0 speeds. Thanks again.
  6. If it shows just 35mb/s when transferring a big ISO or RAR file then it's clearly not running at 3.0 speed. Even the worst external HDD can go higher than that when plugged into an usb3.0 port.
Ask a new question

Read More

USB Storage USB3 HD External Hard Drive