Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I keep this PSU on without a motherboard?

Last response: in Components
Share
June 29, 2013 9:17:53 AM

I have a DELL DPS-450FB PSU and want to use it as a lb power supply, I cannot get it to switch on, any idea how?

More about : psu motherboard

a c 246 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2013 9:25:44 AM

What is "lb power supply" ?

What are you trying to do?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2013 9:27:32 AM

to turn on a psu without a motherboard you need to short out the green wire to any black (earth) wire with some solder or a paper clip
m
0
l
Related resources
June 29, 2013 12:04:20 PM

USAFRet said:
What is "lb power supply" ?

What are you trying to do?



Sorry, what I meant was " Lab power supply".
m
0
l
a c 246 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2013 12:05:49 PM

DylanB said:
USAFRet said:
What is "lb power supply" ?

What are you trying to do?



Sorry, what I meant was " Lab power supply".


OK...still not getting it. Supply power to and for what?
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 12:07:09 PM

aatje92 said:
to turn on a psu without a motherboard you need to short out the green wire to any black (earth) wire with some solder or a paper clip



There are no wires coming from it, it is a server PSU and only has a socket where it connects to the server
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 12:35:38 PM

USAFRet said:


OK...still not getting it. Supply power to and for what?


I need a constant high-current supply at different voltages which , this PSU can supply,
m
0
l
a c 246 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
June 29, 2013 12:52:16 PM

OK...it's for a PowerEdge server. Are you trying to use it for some other purpose?

If that is the case, you'll need full schematics and pinouts of what it supplies, and what it needs to be 'on'.
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 1:08:28 PM

USAFRet said:
If that is the case, you'll need full schematics and pinouts of what it supplies, and what it needs to be 'on'.


Yep, that's pretty much the case, I've tried a couple of sites to find the pinout but came up empty, and all I really need to know is what it needs to be switched "on".
m
0
l
a c 223 V Motherboard
a c 1204 ) Power supply
June 29, 2013 2:18:35 PM

Shorting the four pins shown in red together is suppose to turn on the PSU:

m
0
l
June 29, 2013 2:31:27 PM

ko888 said:
Shorting the four pins shown in red together is suppose to turn on the PSU:



Thanks!, I will give it a try in the morning.
m
0
l
June 30, 2013 2:46:52 PM

ko888 said:
Shorting the four pins shown in red together is suppose to turn on the PSU:



I een trying all day, and different pin combo's, all I've found is a 5v pin that trips the relay on the main board to reset the supply, other than that, nothing switches on. Thanks for the help though,
m
0
l
!