Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Noob Mobo/Fan connector question please help

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 29, 2013 8:03:52 PM

Hi Guys!

I own a Corsair 550d (quiet case) and an Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard.

The case comes stock with two front 120mm intake and one rear 120mm out fan. However, it supports 2 120/140mm on the side and 2 120/140mm on top (not being used YET).

I recently moved to a place that is considerable warmer than before, and am noticing that my fans are having to work a lot harder.

I would like to buy and install a couple more 120/140mm fans in the side of the case (and potentially upgrade to a 140mm in the back exhaust), but my dilemma is that i dont know if my Mobo can support more fans.

I opened the case (for a cleaning) today and looked around the Mobo for more of those (excuse my ignorance) "3-peg fan plug ins" (as i saw that was what my other fans were plugged into) and i could not find any more that looked similar.

Im sure that the mobo supports more than 3 stock fans... but i dont know what im looking for !

I know this is likely tedious for some of you, but any help would be appreciated !

Thanks :) 
a c 1594 V Motherboard
June 29, 2013 8:09:06 PM

If that's all the fan headers, then that's it, but you can always get splitters and adapters to run additional fans from the the PSU molex power connectors
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2013 8:11:22 PM

You have 3 (4)pin fan connectors. When you put more fans in they come with y-connectors so you can put 2 fans to 1 connector. Or you can wire them up to the case fans and use a molex connector and hook them to your power supply.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 214 V Motherboard
June 29, 2013 8:14:45 PM

1. Your MoBo manual will have a picture identifying the chassis fan locations

2. Find out the permissible amperage of your fan headers before doubling up on them. A 2A fan header does not mean ya can connect two 1A fans to it. Ya must account foir inrush current at startup.

3. This works
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 8:29:41 PM

Tradesman1 said:
If that's all the fan headers, then that's it, but you can always get splitters and adapters to run additional fans from the the PSU molex power connectors


Awesome news thanks for the help

I have a Corsair 750watt modular PSX ... ill look through the cabling and see what i can find

And also, thanks for suggesting the Y-connectors, i didnt know that they were an option

And, thanks for the heads up regarding the amperage of the fans

I may end up just taking it to a shop and see if i can learn something haha ...
m
0
l
a c 1594 V Motherboard
June 29, 2013 8:36:51 PM

Have any techie friends? Shops are expensive and I've run into a number of techs at shops and like with the Best Buy Geeks squads that know very little
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 9:28:00 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Have any techie friends? Shops are expensive and I've run into a number of techs at shops and like with the Best Buy Geeks squads that know very little

well a good friend of mine from Vancouver (where i moved from) would know but alas... no one here !

Anyone have an option regarding 120 vs 140 mm fans? would it be worth it to change my 120 exhaust/intake fans to 140mm instead?
m
0
l
a c 1594 V Motherboard
June 29, 2013 9:40:00 PM

May come down to specs, some 120s move more air than 140s, also will the case fit a 140, may have to mod it to fit/install
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 9:44:30 PM

Tradesman1 said:
May come down to specs, some 120s move more air than 140s, also will the case fit a 140, may have to mod it to fit/install


Yup its will fit a 140 or 120 ... corsair gives you the option in most cases, but include drilled holes with rubber washers for either size
m
0
l
a c 1594 V Motherboard
June 29, 2013 9:51:21 PM

Then prob a good option, look for one that moves a lot of air ;) 
m
0
l
June 29, 2013 11:57:11 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
1. Your MoBo manual will have a picture identifying the chassis fan locations

2. Find out the permissible amperage of your fan headers before doubling up on them. A 2A fan header does not mean ya can connect two 1A fans to it. Ya must account foir inrush current at startup.

3. This works
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Hey so... your third option!

I may not understand BUT .. is this tool essentially a 5 way power split-er that allows you to control all your 5 fans?
Like, can i plug this unit into 1 power jack and have it split into 5 fan lines?

If so im getting one asap ....

m
0
l
!