9200 hitting 140 degrees c

Michael_Fish

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
So my Nvidia 9200 keeps hitting about 120 degrees after starting up the PC, and then keeps going up, i stopped the PC when it hit 150 and it didnt stop going up, the heatsink is right next too the chip, it doesnt have a fan

Any ideas why its doing this? better yet any ideas how to stop it? i have the case open currently to get as much air in as possible

Solution
You also have to make sure you have good enough airflow in your case, or fanless heatsinks can be a huge problem.
Also, if you don't mind adding one, you should be able to add on a fan to it, to help avoid overheating.

Lastly, the above user made two very valid points: There may be a faulty heatsink, since I'd expect the gpu to shutoff for overheat protection, and bad thermal paste can cause horrible heat issues. Here's a guide for you.

If you need help removing the heatsink, then I should be able to help with that too. :)

Michael_Fish

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013

Fanspeed and Speccy say the same thing. can you give me a walkthrough on applying thermal paste please?

Google it. Theres probably 10k walkthroughs on applying thermal grease.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
You also have to make sure you have good enough airflow in your case, or fanless heatsinks can be a huge problem.
Also, if you don't mind adding one, you should be able to add on a fan to it, to help avoid overheating.

Lastly, the above user made two very valid points: There may be a faulty heatsink, since I'd expect the gpu to shutoff for overheat protection, and bad thermal paste can cause horrible heat issues. Here's a guide for you.

If you need help removing the heatsink, then I should be able to help with that too. :)

Solution

invisibilian

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
instead of trying to reapply thermal paste, which can be difficult for somebody who is not familiar with everything computer, i suggest you pick up a new gpu such as HD6450, which only costs you about 20 bucks. it will solve your overheating issue and provide you a nice performance boost. plus, this can save you the trouble on reapply the thermal paste, which in my opinion is not the pleasant thing to do. hope this helps.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

This is a very good option too, so if you don't mind buying a new card, then this is probably a better option, since it'll fix your problem and you'll have a much better card, too. :D Here's a link for you: Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 for $20 and a Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 for $25 (add $10 to both if you don't plan on doing the rebate) the difference is negligible between the two, so just buy what you can afford.

Shadowblade2652

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

What about a Radeon 6670? That's like $50 and is much better than the 5450. The price difference is worth the performance.

MrJak

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013

Not a bad idea, but I doubt it's a gaming rig, so this is probably just a quick fix, but it's up to the OP.