Solved

Power Supply Pinout (noob)

So i dont know anything about electric work, this might be kinda stupid, but can you switch the positioning of same voltage cables of modular PSU cables?
This is because i just single braided all my PSU cables and the cables from one end doesn't line up with the other, and i compared the 12 pin to 2 6+2 pins and none of them matched up, so it just looked like they plugged it in to witch ever spot as longs as the color is coordinated.
Its just an OCD kinda thing, not a big deal just wanted a quick answer please.

PSU is a Seasonic X750.

Sorry let me clarify i'm not wondering whether or not i can use different cable so my graphics card. i meant on the 6+2 pin there are 3 yellow wires and 5 ground wires, i just wanted to know if i could switch the placement of those wires so it lines up with the other side into the power supply so it looks nicer, and since the same color cables put out the same amount of voltage i didnt know if i could swap them.
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power supply pinout noob
  1. 2 6+2 are for graphics cards.
  2. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    2 6+2 are for graphics cards.


    yeah there 2 of those cables that came with my PSU but each individual cables doesnt line up the same in both sets.
  3. Best answer
    What SR-71 says but, this may help some also http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html
  4. Thanks!
  5. The eps is for the mobo, (if needed) the pcie (6+2) = video card http://www.seasonicusa.com/X.htm
  6. C12Friedman said:
    What SR-71 says but, this may help some also http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html


    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    Thanks!


    sorry im really bad at explaining what im trying to do, i dont meant the cluster of cables in it self, im trying to figure out the placement of the 3 yellow 12v and 5 ground cables within the 6+2pin PCIE cable. im kinda confused in it self trying to explain it sorry.
  7. 6+2 pin PCI Express power cable

    6+2 Pin PCI Express Power Connector

    Some video cards have 6 Pin PCI Express power connectors and others have 8 Pin PCI Express power connectors. Many power supplies come with a 6+2 PCI Express power cable which is compatible with both kinds of video cards. The 6+2 PCI Express power cable is made up of two pieces: a 6 pin piece, and a 2 pin piece. If you put the two pieces together then you have a full 8 pin PCI Express power cable. But if you split the connector into two parts then you can plug the 6 pin part into the older 6 pin PCI Express connector and leave the 2 pin part unplugged. That way, your power supply only needs to have one 6+2 cable to be compatible with both 6 pin and 8 pin PCI Express connectors.
  8. ur6beersaway said:
    6+2 pin PCI Express power cable

    6+2 Pin PCI Express Power Connector

    Some video cards have 6 Pin PCI Express power connectors and others have 8 Pin PCI Express power connectors. Many power supplies come with a 6+2 PCI Express power cable which is compatible with both kinds of video cards. The 6+2 PCI Express power cable is made up of two pieces: a 6 pin piece, and a 2 pin piece. If you put the two pieces together then you have a full 8 pin PCI Express power cable. But if you split the connector into two parts then you can plug the 6 pin part into the older 6 pin PCI Express connector and leave the 2 pin part unplugged. That way, your power supply only needs to have one 6+2 cable to be compatible with both 6 pin and 8 pin PCI Express connectors.


    ok sorry if i cant explain this very well everything you guys have said so far i under stand i know what the power cables are. i have an AMD 7970 i use my 6+2pin plus a 6pin to power it. cool and dandy. i just recently sleeved each individual cables and the cables criss crossed from one end to the other, and its kinda bothering me for some reason, i just kinda want them to all line up. if i switched the yellow cables would it still provide the same voltage circuit, cause i didnt know if it had to be pined a specific way
  9. Get a volt meter, set it to read continuity (ohms) and ring out each cable end to prove it's right.
  10. ur6beersaway said:
    Get a volt meter, set it to read continuity (ohms) and ring out each cable end to prove it's right.


    i know its putting out the right voltage, i just wanted to know if i swap 2 yellow cables would it screw anything up.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Switch Cable