Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

($260)Need help choosing parts for upgrade

Last response: in Components
Share
June 30, 2013 10:10:09 PM

Right now I have a 400w Antec PSU, A8-3870k CPU, and ASUS F1A55-M LE - FM1.
I think the A8-3870k is bottlenecking my 7850 and the CPU and mobo is a closed upgrade path so I want to upgrade the mobo, cpu, and psu for future gpu upgrades.

Budget: $260

CPU:
- I want something that is a noticeable upgrade from the A8-3870k

- Must not bottleneck 2 7850s crossfire(Planning to get a 2nd one in the future).

- Runs CPU intensive games well, for example on Garry's mod, I always lag horribly when a little wooden house explodes.

Motherboard:
- Obviously must fit the CPU :) 

- Supports 7850 crossfire

- Good quality, something that won't fail and explode my system

PSU
- A little more than enough to handle 2 7850s

- Try to keep the PSU as cheap as possible but still a good one(preferably around $60)

If you can help in any way thank you so much!
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2013 10:30:36 PM

romeodakins said:
Right now I have a 400w Antec PSU, A8-3870k CPU, and ASUS F1A55-M LE - FM1.
I think the A8-3870k is bottlenecking my 7850 and the CPU and mobo is a closed upgrade path so I want to upgrade the mobo, cpu, and psu for future gpu upgrades.

Budget: $260

CPU:
- I want something that is a noticeable upgrade from the A8-3870k

- Must not bottleneck 2 7850s crossfire(Planning to get a 2nd one in the future).

- Runs CPU intensive games well, for example on Garry's mod, I always lag horribly when a little wooden house explodes.

Motherboard:
- Obviously must fit the CPU :) 

- Supports 7850 crossfire

- Good quality, something that won't fail and explode my system

PSU
- A little more than enough to handle 2 7850s

- Try to keep the PSU as cheap as possible but still a good one(preferably around $60)

If you can help in any way thank you so much!


Do you want to go the intel way or amd ??
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 30, 2013 10:35:22 PM

This would fit your needs very well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $267.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-01 01:31 EDT-0400)

The fx6300 will yield at least 70% higher performance than your 3870k. The XFX PSU normally cost 70$, but only 40$ right now ( on sale ), putting it as the best sub-50$ PSU at the moment. Will hold a pair of HD7850 well, of course.

As for the motherboard, "high quality" is an understatement, as it's comparable to some boards with higher cost: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/990fx-motherboard-r...
Share
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2013 10:35:59 PM

You'll need to spend a bit more if you really want to feel a huge difference.
I mean you could go Core i5 and totaly eliminate the bottleneck.
But anyway, a FX 6350 should prove fast enough.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $273.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-01 01:33 EDT-0400)

http://techreport.com/r.x/a10-6800k/value-gaming.gif
http://techreport.com/r.x/desktop-trinity/trinity-99th-...

Your CPU would be lower on the graph that any of the ones in there.
m
0
l
June 30, 2013 10:46:53 PM

ayushde said:
romeodakins said:
Right now I have a 400w Antec PSU, A8-3870k CPU, and ASUS F1A55-M LE - FM1.
I think the A8-3870k is bottlenecking my 7850 and the CPU and mobo is a closed upgrade path so I want to upgrade the mobo, cpu, and psu for future gpu upgrades.

Budget: $260

CPU:
- I want something that is a noticeable upgrade from the A8-3870k

- Must not bottleneck 2 7850s crossfire(Planning to get a 2nd one in the future).

- Runs CPU intensive games well, for example on Garry's mod, I always lag horribly when a little wooden house explodes.

Motherboard:
- Obviously must fit the CPU :) 

- Supports 7850 crossfire

- Good quality, something that won't fail and explode my system

PSU
- A little more than enough to handle 2 7850s

- Try to keep the PSU as cheap as possible but still a good one(preferably around $60)

If you can help in any way thank you so much!


Do you want to go the intel way or amd ??


Madn3ss795 said:
This would fit your needs very well:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($117.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $267.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-01 01:31 EDT-0400)

The fx6300 will yield at least 70% higher performance than your 3870k. The XFX PSU normally cost 70$, but only 40$ right now ( on sale ), putting it as the best sub-50$ PSU at the moment. Will hold a pair of HD7850 well, of course.

As for the motherboard, "high quality" is an understatement, as it's comparable to some boards with higher cost: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/990fx-motherboard-r...


@above probably amd
@quote, I was thinking of the 6300 :)  I saw the benchmark on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html is the fx 6300 really better than the i5-2500k? 6300 has more l2 and l3 cache. And are you sure a 550w can support 2 7850s and a 125w cpu? And the motherboard seems too expensive, how do you think about this mobo http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-Motherboards-97... and this psu http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Bronze-Cer...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2013 10:47:02 PM

^ No proper crossfireX support. By proper, it means 2 PCI-E X16 slots running at at least x8.
m
0
l
June 30, 2013 10:49:52 PM

Kamen_BG said:
You'll need to spend a bit more if you really want to feel a huge difference.
I mean you could go Core i5 and totaly eliminate the bottleneck.
But anyway, a FX 6350 should prove fast enough.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $273.96
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-01 01:33 EDT-0400)

http://techreport.com/r.x/a10-6800k/value-gaming.gif
http://techreport.com/r.x/desktop-trinity/trinity-99th-...

Your CPU would be lower on the graph that any of the ones in there.


I prefer Amazon. FX 6350 is 140 and fx 6300 is 120. Is there much difference between the two. And do you think a 650w rosewill would really support 2 7850s and a 125w cpu? I was thinking of getting a 750w corsair. Is that too much? It's really expensive too, like $90 including tax.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2013 10:54:24 PM

6350 is pretty much an OC-ed 6300. Grab a 15$ cooler and you can OC a 6300 to higher clock than a stock 6350 actually. And no, 6300 isn't faster than 2500k, they're priced differently after all, and that site is not reliable.

A pair of HD7850 consumes around 230w under full load, 270w with mildly OC included. The 6350, despite having 125w TDP, only consumes 9w more than the 95w TDP 6300 throughout actually test. So the XFX 550w PSU ( which is made by Seasonic, a highly reliable brand ) can power the whole system nicely.
m
0
l
June 30, 2013 11:00:34 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
6350 is pretty much an OC-ed 6300. Grab a 15$ cooler and you can OC a 6300 to higher clock than a stock 6350 actually. And no, 6300 isn't faster than 2500k, they're priced differently after all, and that site is not reliable.

A pair of HD7850 consumes around 230w under full load, 270w with mildly OC included. The 6350, despite having 125w TDP, only consumes 9w more than the 95w TDP 6300 throughout actually test. So the XFX 550w PSU ( which is made by Seasonic, a highly reliable brand ) can power the whole system nicely.

The mobo still seems really expensive. What do you think about this one? http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Corp-Motherboards-97... psu seems excellent but the 550w is still bugging me. So that psu can support ocing the fx 6300 plus 2 7850s? What do you think of this psu http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092ML0OC/ref=ox_sc_a... corsair 600w compared to the one you recommended?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2013 11:06:32 PM

I don't think 110$ for a mobo that's usually priced at 150$ is expensive... Anyway that MSI one would be a nice alternative, but not good for overclocking due to limited VRM design.

That CX600 is worse than XFX's 550w core pro when it comes to performance. The Falcon Northwest Tiki ( you should Google it ), a pre-built gaming system which uses an OC-ed i7 3770k and a GTX Titan only need a 450w PSU to handle the whole system, so you shouldn't be worry about 550w not being enough. A pair of HD7850 even consumes less power than a Titan after all.
m
0
l
June 30, 2013 11:41:40 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
I don't think 110$ for a mobo that's usually priced at 150$ is expensive... Anyway that MSI one would be a nice alternative, but not good for overclocking due to limited VRM design.

That CX600 is worse than XFX's 550w core pro when it comes to performance. The Falcon Northwest Tiki ( you should Google it ), a pre-built gaming system which uses an OC-ed i7 3770k and a GTX Titan only need a 450w PSU to handle the whole system, so you shouldn't be worry about 550w not being enough. A pair of HD7850 even consumes less power than a Titan after all.

How about this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... compared to the one you recommended?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2013 11:47:06 PM

On par in performance, but with higher wattage, of course. If you still need a big headroom and your budget allows, go for it.
m
0
l
June 30, 2013 11:52:42 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
On par in performance, but with higher wattage, of course. If you still need a big headroom and your budget allows, go for it.


What do you mean by performance? So if both psus were both at it's max the 650w would hold the same as the 550w? I don't want to pay more for nothing lol
m
0
l
July 1, 2013 12:32:39 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
I meant quality, sorry. Both are at tier2 here : http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx . The Hive 650w can pull out 100w more than the XFX Core pro 550w, of course.


Ok, cool. I think I'm going with the rosewill. I plan the both them on Amazon and Rosewill is only $5 more :)  I think I'm gonna make another thread about psus for my system in the psu section for more opinions.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 6:21:52 PM

Don't forget to pick the best answer if you're done with this thread :) 
m
0
l
July 1, 2013 8:05:26 PM

Madn3ss795 said:
Don't forget to pick the best answer if you're done with this thread :) 


Sorry forgot :)  Thanks for the help!
m
0
l
!