For anyone with a similar problem, or anyone who needs to recover files from an inaccessible NAS hard drive, this is the solution and utility that I used:Ext2readhttp://ext2read.blogspot.dk/2010/04/ext
This utility makes it possible for your regular Windows PC to read an NAS hard drive (can't read it normally because it's set up for RAID, I think? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
- Connect the NAS hard drive directly to the PC, as you would with any hard drive.
- Download Ext2read and run the application as administrator
- The NAS hard drive should be visible within Ext2read, so open it and all files will be visible
- click on the files you want and go down to "save"
- You are given the choice of where you want to save these files, so you can simply copy them onto your main PC hard drive, and voila! Everything is backed up and you don't have to worry about the HDD being formatted when you do a server reset.
Best of luck!