$1400 GTX 780 Build Questions

roguecatfish

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/roguecatfish/saved/1SfF

So I'm getting this build in the next couple of days and I wanted to ask some questions about my parts before I buy all of this. To answer the questions, please copy and paste the question list into the comment box and then double space below each question and answer it.

1. Is this a good motherboard? It got good reviews but is it actually a good board? Will it be compatible with all my other parts? If there is a better alternative for around the same price then link it to me.

2. Will my case fit all the components and have room for expansion?

3. Should I buy more case fans for the Define R4 or does it have adequate cooling already? Will it run quiet with the noise dampening material that is installed in it.

4. Is it easy to install an SSD? I was planning on installing one further down the line for my OS and Games (256GB Samsung 840). Is an SSD worth it for games and loading up your OS, should I just buy something like a 32 or 64 GB to put some games and my OS onto?

5. Should I wait for custom cooling designs to come out for the GTX 780 or should I just go with reference? Does it make a big difference other than cooling?

6. Is the PSU decent? I know it's an 80 Plus Bronze which is not that great. Should I get a Silver or Gold instead and spend the extra money? Is there a big difference?

7. Can you link me to some GTX 780 benchmark reviews? I've seen a few on Youtube but I would like to know all I can about the card before I get it (If possible, find some with benchmarks for games like Skyrim, BF3, DayZ/Arma2, Etc.).

8. I was hoping to upgrade further down the line and add some more components such as more RAM and an SSD and possibly another graphics card.
This is what I was thinking for the final product: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/roguecatfish/saved/1Sug

9. Will the default cooler for the 3570k cool it sufficiently or will I need the 212 EVO? I'm not planning on doing any Overclocking but just in case, what speeds could I go up to with the 212 EVO and which speeds could I go up to with just the Default Cooler. Is it worth buying the 212?

10. Is the Seagate a good hard drive? I've heard cases of it breaking or not working, are these true?

All answers are appreciated. If you do not know the answer to some of the questions, just double space down and put a question mark. Thank you for your time.

Solution
1. Great motherboard for the price, and a very common purchase
2. Your case should have room for everything as well as at least dual-SLI
3. I always recommend buying as many high-performance case fans as possible; they're comparatively cheap, and you can't really go wrong.
4. Yes. Just make sure your HDD and all other drives are unplugged when downloading Windows, and you will have the SSD as your boot drive.
5. There are already some custom cooling designs for the 780, such as the EVGA ACX cooler, which I highly recommend.
6. Don't get the Enthusiast Series PSUs. On a build like this, with a 780, get the Corsair HX850 PSU, which is 850W, and is 80 Pluz Gold.
7. Here is a good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQLBv77s_8

dannyboy2233

Honorable
May 24, 2013
1. Great motherboard for the price, and a very common purchase
2. Your case should have room for everything as well as at least dual-SLI
3. I always recommend buying as many high-performance case fans as possible; they're comparatively cheap, and you can't really go wrong.
4. Yes. Just make sure your HDD and all other drives are unplugged when downloading Windows, and you will have the SSD as your boot drive.
5. There are already some custom cooling designs for the 780, such as the EVGA ACX cooler, which I highly recommend.
6. Don't get the Enthusiast Series PSUs. On a build like this, with a 780, get the Corsair HX850 PSU, which is 850W, and is 80 Pluz Gold.
7. Here is a good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQLBv77s_8
8. IMHO, 16GB is completely unnecessary and a waste of money. Also, get the Samsung 840 Pro Series over the regular 840 Series, as it is MUCH better.
9. If you're OCing at all, use the 212 EVO. In fact, for the sake of longevity, use it anyway.
10. I always choose Western Digital over Seagate, as I have had bad experiences with them (DOA drives, etc.).

Solution