Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cooler master Hyper Tx3 does not fit motherboard of dell precision t3400

Last response: in Motherboards
July 1, 2013 4:55:17 PM

I just tried to install my new hyper tx3 cpu cooler but found out that the "holes" around the cpu are too far apart for the tx3 to fit... Am I doing this wrong?

The motherboard is Dell tp412. Socket LGA755.

Thanks... Spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out if I was doing it wrong or not...

What options do I have for an aftermarket cooler if this wont fit?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 5:21:53 PM

At first I thought you had mistyped lga 775, but 755 is apparently correct for that motherboard. It seems to be a mostly unknown socket (there's no entry for it in Wikipedia). Looking on Google Shopping, I found two coolers that claim to fit lga 755:
http://www.colorapples.com/150mm-lga-755amd-athlon-64-c...
http://www.colorapples.com/90mm-amd-am2754939940-intel-...
July 1, 2013 5:46:40 PM

hmm.. i cant seem to open those links... could you give me other links?

MauveCloud said:
At first I thought you had mistyped lga 775, but 755 is apparently correct for that motherboard. It seems to be a mostly unknown socket (there's no entry for it in Wikipedia). Looking on Google Shopping, I found two coolers that claim to fit lga 755:
http://www.colorapples.com/150mm-lga-755amd-athlon-64-c...
http://www.colorapples.com/90mm-amd-am2754939940-intel-...

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 6:15:40 PM

Being a Dell OEM motherboard the cooler mounting holes are most likely setup for Dells custom cooler and there for standard coolers may not work without some type of adapter if anyone has eve made one for that socket type. So far I have not found one. But from what I have found out so far you are correct the hyper tx3 will not work.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 6:17:36 PM

Okay, after a little further research, your board might actually be 775 instead of 755 (even Dell's website is a little inconsistent about that detail). Also, I've looked at the mounting holes. Between the stretched rectangle arrangement and the diagonal alignment of the cpu relative to the board, I have a feeling that the mounting holes will fit a Dell proprietary heatsink, in which case the two I linked before won't fit anyway, and neither will any other third-party heatsink. I've read that Dell uses non-standard screws and/or power supply connections in some of their computers, so a custom heatsink mount wouldn't surprise me much.

Why were you trying to fit a Hyper TX3 anyway? Motherboards in pre-built computers tend to have overclocking thoroughly disabled. If the old heatsink failed, why don't you try calling Dell? If your warranty hasn't already expired, you probably voided it by opening the computer when you tried to install the Hyper TX3, but you can still ask if they can sell you a replacement cooler.
July 1, 2013 7:02:06 PM

Ah.. well in terms of warranty its alright since its a 5 year old computer. I just started monitoring the cpu temps and its at ~ 40-50 C most of the time. Sometimes rising to 54 C. I was hoping to lower it a bit So i ordered the tx3 using the mobo specs. While removing the stock fan I was able to clean a lot of the dust but in the end it made no difference.

Ill go contact dell though about a replacement fan. Hopefully its not too pricy

MauveCloud said:
Okay, after a little further research, your board might actually be 775 instead of 755 (even Dell's website is a little inconsistent about that detail). Also, I've looked at the mounting holes. Between the stretched rectangle arrangement and the diagonal alignment of the cpu relative to the board, I have a feeling that the mounting holes will fit a Dell proprietary heatsink, in which case the two I linked before won't fit anyway, and neither will any other third-party heatsink. I've read that Dell uses non-standard screws and/or power supply connections in some of their computers, so a custom heatsink mount wouldn't surprise me much.

Why were you trying to fit a Hyper TX3 anyway? Motherboards in pre-built computers tend to have overclocking thoroughly disabled. If the old heatsink failed, why don't you try calling Dell? If your warranty hasn't already expired, you probably voided it by opening the computer when you tried to install the Hyper TX3, but you can still ask if they can sell you a replacement cooler.

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 8:47:54 PM

daymonki said:
Ah.. well in terms of warranty its alright since its a 5 year old computer. I just started monitoring the cpu temps and its at ~ 40-50 C most of the time. Sometimes rising to 54 C. I was hoping to lower it a bit So i ordered the tx3 using the mobo specs. While removing the stock fan I was able to clean a lot of the dust but in the end it made no difference.

Ill go contact dell though about a replacement fan. Hopefully its not too pricy

MauveCloud said:

40-50c is not that bad for loaded, and cant you just fit a new aftermarket cpu fan? This is most likely the problem along with the old paste now being chalk.
July 1, 2013 9:10:29 PM

chriss000 said:

40-50c is not that bad for loaded, and cant you just fit a new aftermarket cpu fan? This is most likely the problem along with the old paste now being chalk.

An Aftermarket cpu cant physically fit in the mobo. If you look at it the cpu is at a diagonal angle...
while at it i did apply new thermal paste to the cpu but i didnt do a very good job at wiping off the old paste wasnt sure what to do as I only have kitchen towels on hand.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 9:18:51 PM

The old paste will have dried out (there is some sort of oily substance in it that transfers heat). this must be removed pref using TIM (thermal interface material) clean,or you will have heat transfer problems. Putting new paste on top of the old is not really going to work. I am trying to say can you get a new fan on to the old heat sink, not change the heat sink. The heat sink is the aluminium part. You dont need to change this, only the fan needs replacing. If the temps are still good after the paste has been changed and the heat sink cleared of dust you might not even need a new fan.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 9:20:52 PM

It's a non-standard cpu cooler. What makes you so sure the fan part can be so easily replaced?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 9:30:22 PM

Its what I am trying to establish; Is it a big plastic horn with a co-axial fan inside it, or is it just an odd shaped piece of alloy? I am getting the feeling more and more if the paste was changed properly, the dust cleaned out and maybe a bios cpu temp target tweaked this one could be solved with little effort; Its not like its boiling over.
July 1, 2013 9:40:57 PM

the fan can be purchased from ebay newly. I just googled dell precision t3400 fan. However earlier when I was looking at my unit, the fan didnt seem like it could be removed easily.
It was a coil + fan separate pieces that connect when the sink is set up.

next time i get the chance i will try cleaning the cpu and heat sink area more thoroughly.
Will paper towel suffice?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2013 9:56:45 PM

daymonki said:
the fan can be purchased from ebay newly. I just googled dell precision t3400 fan. However earlier when I was looking at my unit, the fan didnt seem like it could be removed easily.

next time i get the chance i will try cleaning the cpu and heat sink area more thoroughly.

Yes, but you need to use thermal interface material remover if the old stuff wont come off easy.You can buy it in any pc parts place.

Right, I see whats going on now. You have a really big (good) aluminium heatsink, and a fan that doubles as a case fan as it pulls air thru the heatsink because a plastic shroud envelopes them forming a wind tunnel for want of a better description. If you clean the dust out the alloy sink and re paste the cpu it should be fine, but the fan on its own is only a fiver on ebay so change it while you are in there. Job done till the pc dies. ! The fan is nothing special and you could probably get it replaced in any pc parts shop if you take the old one in. The cpu is a quadcore, It seems,, so still a good workhorse. I would expect load temperatures to be in the mid 50's without a dedicated cpu fan. see overclockers u.k. for pictures and modifications. You could add extra fans.
July 1, 2013 10:19:04 PM

does isopropyl alcohol work?
or am i thinking of something completely different

chriss000 said:
daymonki said:

Yes, but you need to use thermal interface material remover if the old stuff wont come off easy.You can buy it in any pc parts place.

!