Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How do I know if my motherboard supports PCI-3.0

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 2, 2013 4:47:01 AM

Hi I have a Asus P8H61-M Pro motherboard and I am confused whether it supports PCI-3.0 or not.

I found this website which confuses me: http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/pcie3_ready/

Also here is a picture of it if it helps:


Thank you for your time
July 2, 2013 4:56:33 AM

No. This motherboard doesn't have PCIe-3.0. It has version 2.0.

I think that PCIe 3.0 cards should work ok on a PCIe 2.0 port.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 2, 2013 5:03:05 AM

although most 3.0 ready cards wont have a noticeable performance loss from being used in a 2.0 port.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 5:05:14 AM

Your picture shows one board, and the link shows others.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 5:06:18 AM

@Traciatim - glad you found what you stated Before your edit to be wrong. I was in the process of showing you where it said *based on compatible motherboard
m
0
l
July 2, 2013 5:09:13 AM

ubercake said:
Since that motherboard will support both sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors, your PCIe data rates will depend on your processor's integrated PCIe controller. If you're running a sandy bridge processor (ie i7-2600K), you'll get PCIe 2.0. If you run ivy bridge (ie i5-3570K), you'll get PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.

The motherboard is equipped to support either, but looks like it was produced prior to the release of the ivy bridge processors. This is apparent when you look at the caption under the 22nm cpu image where it says "coming in the future".

It looks like a BIOS update is required for this.


My processor is a i7-3770 - does that mean it will run at PCI-3.0 @ x16 bandwidth?

Thank you very much for helping me.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 5:11:40 AM

idkwho said:
ubercake said:
Since that motherboard will support both sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors, your PCIe data rates will depend on your processor's integrated PCIe controller. If you're running a sandy bridge processor (ie i7-2600K), you'll get PCIe 2.0. If you run ivy bridge (ie i5-3570K), you'll get PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.

The motherboard is equipped to support either, but looks like it was produced prior to the release of the ivy bridge processors. This is apparent when you look at the caption under the 22nm cpu image where it says "coming in the future".

It looks like a BIOS update is required for this.


My processor is a i7-3770 - does that mean it will run at PCI-3.0 @ x16 bandwidth?

Thank you very much for helping me.


This is in response to the models in the link. Not the model in your picture. The model in your picture is 2.0.
Share
July 2, 2013 5:16:46 AM

ubercake said:
idkwho said:
ubercake said:
Since that motherboard will support both sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors, your PCIe data rates will depend on your processor's integrated PCIe controller. If you're running a sandy bridge processor (ie i7-2600K), you'll get PCIe 2.0. If you run ivy bridge (ie i5-3570K), you'll get PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.

The motherboard is equipped to support either, but looks like it was produced prior to the release of the ivy bridge processors. This is apparent when you look at the caption under the 22nm cpu image where it says "coming in the future".

It looks like a BIOS update is required for this.


My processor is a i7-3770 - does that mean it will run at PCI-3.0 @ x16 bandwidth?

Thank you very much for helping me.


This is in response to the models in the link. Not the model in your picture. The model in your picture is 2.0.


I was confused because in the link when you scroll down to the table called: PCi Express 3.0 support model list, it shows
P8H61-M PRO in the table.

Is my motherboard different to the one in the table?

Thank you
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 5:25:28 AM

Your motherboard does Not Appear to be a Version 3 motherboard - which would allow your BIOS to be updated supporting PCIe 3.0

Below the model number in your picture clearly states REV 1.01
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 5:25:41 AM

idkwho said:
ubercake said:
idkwho said:
ubercake said:
Since that motherboard will support both sandy bridge and ivy bridge processors, your PCIe data rates will depend on your processor's integrated PCIe controller. If you're running a sandy bridge processor (ie i7-2600K), you'll get PCIe 2.0. If you run ivy bridge (ie i5-3570K), you'll get PCIe 3.0 bandwidth.

The motherboard is equipped to support either, but looks like it was produced prior to the release of the ivy bridge processors. This is apparent when you look at the caption under the 22nm cpu image where it says "coming in the future".

It looks like a BIOS update is required for this.


My processor is a i7-3770 - does that mean it will run at PCI-3.0 @ x16 bandwidth?

Thank you very much for helping me.


This is in response to the models in the link. Not the model in your picture. The model in your picture is 2.0.


I was confused because in the link when you scroll down to the table called: PCi Express 3.0 support model list, it shows
P8H61-M PRO in the table.

Is my motherboard different to the one in the table?

Thank you


You're right. There is definitely some conflicting information.

It seems like they intended to add the support through a BIOS update, but when you look at the specs for the board and look at the available BIOS updates, there is no mention of a upgrade to support PCIe 3.0 at any rev level. This is not to say that it isn't there. Update to the latest BIOS and then check GPU-z when running a video benchmark (ie Furmark) or game (ie BF3). It will list the PCIe revision you're running at.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 6:04:09 AM

what I'm sure is - Asus did an extremely poor job of providing the specs for the different versions of that motherboard. They should have tabs at the top for Version 1, Version 2 and the new Version 3. I bet if you give them a call, they will explain the versions and options.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2013 1:48:26 PM

dingo07 said:
@Traciatim - glad you found what you stated Before your edit to be wrong. I was in the process of showing you where it said *based on compatible motherboard


Yeah, I was going by the ones he linked, not the model he listed in the OP originally.
m
0
l
!