7970 Crossfire 5-30min Crash

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Phenom X4 955? BE @ 3.2 Stock, aftermarket cooler
ABS Tagan 800w PSU (20A 12V lines, has turbo mode to combine them 60A across, currently on normal mode)
2x7970 Powercolor Stock Reference Design so 2x8pin and 2x6pin
4 SATA HDD, 1 SATA DVD, 3 Chassis Fans

So far Dead Island Riptide and Crysis 3 crash 5-30 mins in. Dead Souls Prepare to Die is the only one that doesn't so far, but I've only played these three games on it so far. Turning on VSYNC seems to delay the issue but it happens eventually.

DirectX, VC, .Net up to date, Windows 7
Catalyst 12.8 at the moment I believe (latest stable 13.xx was same result)

Just did some reading up on using the AMD utility to push the power up on it, and/or start underclocking a bit. Think this will do the job? I can't believe going from a 2x2900 Pro to this would be the result of a PSU issue.

Normal use doesn't crash it.
Gameplay runs 5-30 mins, game locks up but the sound loops normally for a few seconds, then buzzing, screen goes black, and then it either artifacts like a sumbitch and restarts the computer or gives me black and white lines and the screen goes white until I restart manually. Until I read up on a few threads I only thought perhaps I should increase the timings on my 2x4GB 1600 ram sticks (no issue previously, though there's a bios update increasing RAM COMPATIBILITY ONLY).

Previously used 2x2900Pro stock + overclocked to 2900XT speeds and beyond without issue on both cards using same PSU, in a Q6600@3.8 stable build in the same chassis setup - perfection at all times (except graphical quality heh)

Thoughts?

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

I don't think it's overheating, though I don't have any temp information. The only response at the moment I can give you is that I've listened to it when I put the fan control at 100% and it barely gets to 50% I'd say. I'd occasionally put my hand in there and it's only warm. Just warm. Not WARM, not hot either. Just a normal warm. Though I suppose that hasn't stopped electronics from overheating in the past...

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

use a program called speedfan. just an fyi, your cpu is bottlenecking your gpu

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Yeah I'm not worried about the CPU bottlenecking anything for a while. AM3+ Board I can just upgrade to something faster later, plus I can overclock if necessary, which it doesn't ever seem to be. PSU prob 4-5 years, but this only happened when I threw the 7970's in. Might be right though. Saw stock 7970 do ~400w load in metro 2033: LL but even if a second card threw an additional 300w on top of that, shouldn't I be ok?

What combination should I do when underclocking and underpowering? Reduce clock, test, reduce power by 2% and test?

Or should underclocking take care of the power issue?

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

You were right about the PSU. Pulled one card out and instead of graphic corruption crashes I'm getting BSOD STOP: 0xA0000001 which I've read is either driver corruption or bad memory. Both Crysis 3 and Dead Island - same BSOD code. If Dark Souls doesn't crash, what would the problem be then?

Yep, Dark Souls doesn't crash.