Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should i get ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2 GB ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 2, 2013 12:11:26 PM

Hi,

I am looking for a graphics card for my Desktop PC.

In my mind,
1) Single monitor & Single GPU setup
2) Graphics card should be able to run all latest games for atleast another 2-4 years at a decent settings.

I am open to any suggestion Nvidia or ATI.

my PC setup as follows,

Processor : Intel Core i7-3770K - @Stock
Motherboard : Asus P8Z77-V Pro
RAM : Corsair XMP RAM 8GB 1600MHz CL9
Monitor : Dell Monitor S2240L @ 1920*1080
SSD : Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 120GB
HDD : Seagate 2TB x 1 | Seagate 500GB x 3
Case : Corsair White 500R Mid Tower
CPU Cooler : Corsair H100
PSU : PSU Corsair TXV2 850w


Thanks.

Cheers!
Vijay

More about : asus gtx 770 directcu

July 2, 2013 12:22:25 PM

I had this card for a day and half. It ran most games great, but I had some issues with Skyrim with my particular mods using somewhere in the 2.3 GB range so I returned it and got the Gigabyte Windforce 3 4gb model instead.
Clocked faster, more RAM, great cooler, and it was only $50 more... at this price point, I'd go for the 4GB models.

Also, for future games in the next cycle of development, the consoles have 8 gb of ram to play with, so I wouldn't doubt the RAM on cards goes to bare min 4gb very soon (in the next 12 months) The argument for 2gb is always, well... if your playing at 1080p, you don't need more than 2gb, but that just isn't 100% true now, and will become less and less true as time goes on.

The only thing I notice in some reviews of the gigabyte 2gb and 4gb side by side is a slight performance hit of 1-4 fps in SOME tests, probably due to the 256bit memory bus addressing 4gb of ram vs 2gb it was really designed for.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2013 12:34:46 PM

if you can afford the extra 25% price tag i would say go 780 because you would get 30% more performance than the 770 offeres so in real terms is a better value investment. it will play anything you throw at it for at least the next 5 years. as consoles will become a limiting factor in how gfx quality changes over the next 5-7 years.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 2, 2013 12:48:20 PM

HEXiT said:
if you can afford the extra 25% price tag i would say go 780 because you would get 30% more performance than the 770 offeres so in real terms is a better value investment. it will play anything you throw at it for at least the next 5 years. as consoles will become a limiting factor in how gfx quality changes over the next 5-7 years.


I've not seen any benchmarks across numerous sites that show anything more than about an average of about 10 - 15% increase in performance from a 770 to a 780 at stock or relative to one another OC'd speeds. In other words, $200+ more for at best 15% more. If you have the money, sure, but it's price to performance ratio is pretty low at launch prices.
m
0
l
a c 118 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2013 12:56:51 PM

VXBlade said:
HEXiT said:
if you can afford the extra 25% price tag i would say go 780 because you would get 30% more performance than the 770 offeres so in real terms is a better value investment. it will play anything you throw at it for at least the next 5 years. as consoles will become a limiting factor in how gfx quality changes over the next 5-7 years.


I've not seen any benchmarks across numerous sites that show anything more than about an average of about 10 - 15% increase in performance from a 770 to a 780 at stock or relative to one another OC'd speeds. In other words, $200+ more for at best 15% more. If you have the money, sure, but it's price to performance ratio is pretty low at launch prices.


+1

m
0
l
July 2, 2013 12:57:14 PM

HEXiT said:
if you can afford the extra 25% price tag i would say go 780 because you would get 30% more performance than the 770 offeres so in real terms is a better value investment. it will play anything you throw at it for at least the next 5 years. as consoles will become a limiting factor in how gfx quality changes over the next 5-7 years.


780 is a waste of money
m
0
l
July 3, 2013 11:43:27 AM

VXBlade said:
I had this card for a day and half. It ran most games great, but I had some issues with Skyrim with my particular mods using somewhere in the 2.3 GB range so I returned it and got the Gigabyte Windforce 3 4gb model instead.
Clocked faster, more RAM, great cooler, and it was only $50 more... at this price point, I'd go for the 4GB models.

Also, for future games in the next cycle of development, the consoles have 8 gb of ram to play with, so I wouldn't doubt the RAM on cards goes to bare min 4gb very soon (in the next 12 months) The argument for 2gb is always, well... if your playing at 1080p, you don't need more than 2gb, but that just isn't 100% true now, and will become less and less true as time goes on.

The only thing I notice in some reviews of the gigabyte 2gb and 4gb side by side is a slight performance hit of 1-4 fps in SOME tests, probably due to the 256bit memory bus addressing 4gb of ram vs 2gb it was really designed for.


Thank you all for your in-sites.

So, if i get a GTX 770 4GB card it should do, right? if so can you suggest couple of cards?

i also had 4GB cards in mind....but was not sure...

Thanks again.

Cheers!

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2013 12:46:02 PM

Intel God said:
HEXiT said:
if you can afford the extra 25% price tag i would say go 780 because you would get 30% more performance than the 770 offeres so in real terms is a better value investment. it will play anything you throw at it for at least the next 5 years. as consoles will become a limiting factor in how gfx quality changes over the next 5-7 years.


780 is a waste of money


If you win the silicon lottery, the 780 can overclock to Titan performance.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 3, 2013 2:08:35 PM

rvijay_1984 said:
VXBlade said:
I had this card for a day and half. It ran most games great, but I had some issues with Skyrim with my particular mods using somewhere in the 2.3 GB range so I returned it and got the Gigabyte Windforce 3 4gb model instead.
Clocked faster, more RAM, great cooler, and it was only $50 more... at this price point, I'd go for the 4GB models.

Also, for future games in the next cycle of development, the consoles have 8 gb of ram to play with, so I wouldn't doubt the RAM on cards goes to bare min 4gb very soon (in the next 12 months) The argument for 2gb is always, well... if your playing at 1080p, you don't need more than 2gb, but that just isn't 100% true now, and will become less and less true as time goes on.

The only thing I notice in some reviews of the gigabyte 2gb and 4gb side by side is a slight performance hit of 1-4 fps in SOME tests, probably due to the 256bit memory bus addressing 4gb of ram vs 2gb it was really designed for.


Thank you all for your in-sites.

So, if i get a GTX 770 4GB card it should do, right? if so can you suggest couple of cards?

i also had 4GB cards in mind....but was not sure...

Thanks again.

Cheers!



I'd get the gigabyte windforce 3, 4gb personally (And did). At $449 AT THE MOMENT, it beats the overprice competitor models that exist right now. I'm not a fan boy in way shape or form, but at $449 with free shipping for me at Amazon it made sense for me.
I had the 2gb ASUS as I stated and it didn't work for me.
The 780 is faster, no doubt, but not $200 worth faster IMO
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GDDR5-4GB-WINDFORCE-Grap...


Share
!