HD 7970 or nVidia when running Quad Display

Noclafasm

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
Hello,

I am running a Quad Monitor (1920x1080 four times) setup on my XFX HD 6870. Now I am noticing that I am taxing my graphic card to much. When I play games (League of Legends, Starcraft II, AC3) on a single monitor it can not handle it with all that much fps (LoL 40fps (max settings)).

So I want to replace the card with something else, as I am a AMD fanboy I thought a good replacement would be HD 7970 because:

• - 2 mini dp (got two active adapters already)
    - one hdmi
    - one dvi (two but you can use just one if you use hdmi)
    - 3GB ram (needs lots because of so much pixels to fill)
    - High memory throughput
That was my reasoning, however! For that money (340 euro's) I can perhaps buy a better nVidia card.

TL;DR; For a quad monitor setup with price range 300-400 euro should I pick AMD or nVidia and what model?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

well the gtx 770 comes with 2 DVI Ports, 1 HDMI port, and 1 Display Port, if that helps any.

i do know that quad monitor setups arent dependent upon how much vram you have. you can run 4 displays from a gt 210 and the onboard motherboard outputs if you have enough ports. the vram dictates the resolution and detail performance... the windows desktop doesnt use much but games do. more vram...

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
well, for great single card quad monitor setups, I do believe NVidia has AMD beat on performance. I don't know the exchange rate for euros very well, but the NVidia card you are looking for is the GTX 770. a 4gb model is $500 American. a 2gb card is $400 American. either will support quad monitor setups excellently.

Noclafasm

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Thank you, I have been searching a lot and I was not able to figure out what amount of RAM is needed for (for example) each monitor. Quad monitor setup, what is minimum needed RAM? 2, 3, 4 GB?

Edit: Nvm see jinayhvora, @jinayhvora: can you argumentate your answer a bit?

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
You can run 4 screens on 2gb cards, but they have to work very hard. Radeon used to have the advantage with its default 3gb on their cards.

Default cards radeon 3gb to nvidia 2gb win, the nvidia 4gb fights back being near equal, for less power and heat.

Noclafasm

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013

Well I beg to differ, as I currently run quad monitor at 1080p with 1GB (HD 6780) just fine. But when playing a game it can not handle max settings every so smoothly.

The only thing is that I have two active mini dp adapters and most nvidia cards use normal dp...

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

well the gtx 770 comes with 2 DVI Ports, 1 HDMI port, and 1 Display Port, if that helps any.

i do know that quad monitor setups arent dependent upon how much vram you have. you can run 4 displays from a gt 210 and the onboard motherboard outputs if you have enough ports. the vram dictates the resolution and detail performance... the windows desktop doesnt use much but games do. more vram will make gaming smoother on multiple monitors, but isnt an absolute requirement to have a quad monitor setup. what really makes the difference anyway is the 1536 sexy cuda cores and 7010mhz effective memory clock! seriously, can't beat the bang for the buck.

Solution